The plug-in hybrid (PHEV) Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited 4xe (JL) returns for the 2023 model year. It continues to feature a turbocharged 2.0-liter (GME-T4) inline-four-cylinder integrated with two electric motors, and a 400-volt battery pack, delivering 21 miles of all-electric range, 49 MPGe, instant torque, and nearly silent off-roading.
The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe continues to offer a traditional body-on-frame design, front and rear 5-link suspension system, solid axles, electronic lockers, an 8-speed automatic transmission, and E-Selec driving modes, including eSave mode that reserves battery power for later.
While the Wrangler does continue to offer an internal combustion engine (ICE) only model, the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe is the focus of this article. To see more about the ICE version of the 2023 Jeep Wrangler, you can CLICK HERE.
The 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe lineup remains largely unchanged. So what is new for the 2023 model year?
- Two new exterior colors are available at the launch of the 2023 model year. Earl replaces Snazzberry, and is a grey color featuring an aquamarine tint to it. It will be available all year long across the Wrangler lineup. The other color is Reign, a limited edition purple color (the first time purple has been offered on Wrangler JL models). That color will be available until October across the lineup. Another limited edition that has yet to be announced will join the lineup later in the model year. You can read more about the two new colors by CLICKING HERE.
- Rubicon models receive a new wheel designs. Standard is the new WGQ 17-inch wheel design with blue Willys logo accents.
- Following the footstep of newer Jeep vehicles, all Wrangler name fender decals with feature an American flag.
Trims For 2023 –
For 2023 there will be 3 different trim levels available on the Wrangler…
- Sahara Unlimited 4xe
- Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
- Sahara High Altitude Unlimited 4xe
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe powertrain integrates two electric motors and a 400-volt battery pack with a fuel-efficient, turbocharged 2.0-liter (GME-T4) four-cylinder engine and an 8-speed automatic transmission. This configuration maximizes the efficiency of the hybrid propulsion components and mates them with the Wrangler’s world-renowned and proven driveline.
Key elements of the Wrangler 4xe powertrain include 375 horsepower (280 kW), 470 lb.-ft. (637 N•m) of torque and an estimated 49 MPGe from the following components:
- Turbocharged 2.0-liter (GME-T4) inline-four-cylinder engine
- Engine-mounted motor generator unit
- Transmission-mounted motor generator unit integrated into 8-speed automatic transmission (ZF 8P75PH)
- 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion, nickel manganese cobalt battery pack
The turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four-cylinder engine is part of Stellantis’ Global Medium Engine (GME) family. The high-tech, direct-injection engine uses a twin-scroll, low-inertia turbocharger mounted directly to the cylinder head, along with a dedicated cooling circuit for the turbocharger, intake air and throttle body for exceptional responsiveness performance and fuel efficiency.
A high-voltage, liquid-cooled motor generator unit mounts at the front of the engine, replacing the conventional alternator. A robust belt connects the motor generator to the engine crankshaft pulley. The motor generator spins the engine for nearly seamless, fuel-saving, start-stop operation and generates electricity for the battery pack. The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe does not use a conventional 12-volt starter motor. The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe is equipped with a 12-volt battery to run accessories.
The second high-voltage motor generator is mounted at the front of the transmission case, replacing the conventional torque converter of an automatic transmission.
Two clutches work to manage power and torque from the e-motor and engine. A binary clutch (on/off) is mounted between the engine and the motor. When this clutch is open there is no mechanical linkage between the engine and the e-motor, which enables it to propel the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe in electric-only mode.
When the binary clutch is closed, torque from the 2.0-liter engine and the e-motor flow combine through the automatic transmission. A variable clutch mounted behind the e-motor manages engagement with the transmission to improve drivability and efficiency.
- eTORQUE BELT-START GENERATOR/MOTOR –
- Peak Power – 44 horsepower (33 kW)
- Starting Torque – 39 lb.-ft. (53 N•m)
- INTEGRATED TRANSMISSION TRACTION MOTOR –
- Peak Power – 134 horsepower (100 kW)
- Peak Torque – 181 lb.-ft. (245 N•m)
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe’s 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell lithium-ion battery pack uses nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) graphite chemistry. The pack and controls mount underneath the second-row seat, where it is protected from outside elements. The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe’s second-row seat is redesigned, allowing the bottom cushion to flip forward for access to the battery.
Encased in an aluminum housing, the pack is fitted with a dedicated heating and cooling circuit to keep the battery at its optimum temperature for best performance. The temperature control circuit includes a dedicated heater unit and a chiller that uses the Wrangler air-conditioning refrigerant to reduce coolant temperature when needed.
The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe hybrid system includes an Integrated Dual Charging Module (ICDM), which combines a battery charger and a DC/DC converter in a single unit that is more compact than two separate components, and a next-generation Power Inverter Module (PIM) that is reduced in size. These components are housed and protected from damage in a steel structure mounted below the battery pack.
All high-voltage electronics, including the wiring between the battery pack and the electric motors, are sealed and waterproof. Like all Trail Rated Jeep Wranglers, the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe is capable of waterfording up to 30 inches (76 cm).
The electric charge port features a push-open/push-close cover and is located on the left front cowl of the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe for convenient nose-in parking at charging locations. The charge port includes LED indicators of charging status. An LED battery level monitor is mounted on top of the instrument panel, making it easy to check battery state of charge at a glance during charging.
- HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY –
- Chemistry – Lithium Ion Li-NMC
- Charging Modes – Level 1 — 120V AC, Level 2 — 240V AC
- Operating Voltage – 260 – 400 VDC
- Gross Capacity – 17.3 kWh
- Maximum Charge Rate – 7.2 kW
E-Selec Modes –
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe driver can tailor the hybrid powertrain to best suit each trip, whether it is filling the needs of most daily commuters in pure-electric operation, a night on the town or quietly exploring nature off-road.
The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe PHEV powertrain has three modes of operation, known as E-Selec. The driver can select the desired powertrain mode via buttons mounted on the instrument panel, to the left of the steering wheel. Regardless of the mode selected, the Wrangler 4xe operates as hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge.
- Hybrid: The default mode blends torque from the GME-T4 engine and electric motor. In this mode, the powertrain will use battery power first, then add in propulsion from the GME-T4 engine when the battery reaches minimum state of charge
- Electric: The powertrain operates on zero-emission electric power only until the battery reaches the minimum charge or the driver requests more torque (such as wide-open throttle), which engages the GME-T4 engine
- eSave: Prioritizes propulsion from the GME-T4 engine, saving the battery charge for later use, such as EV off-roading or urban areas where internal combustion propulsion is restricted. The driver can also choose between Battery Save and Battery Charge during eSave via the Hybrid Electric Pages in the Uconnect monitor
To help optimize the benefit of the E-Selec modes, the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe driver information display and the Uconnect touchscreen feature Hybrid Electric Vehicle Pages. The Hybrid Electric Vehicle Pages let owners monitor power flow and see the impact of regenerative braking, schedule charging times to take advantage of lower electric rates, and view their driving history with a detail of electric and gasoline usage.
Regenerative braking is a key part of the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe eco-friendly equation. When the driver steps on the brake pedal, the powertrain control engages the maximum available regenerative braking, up to 0.25 g, from the electric motors to slow the vehicle, augmented with the Wrangler’s traditional friction brakes. The regenerative braking feature also extends the replacement period for brake pads.
With 4×4 engaged, all four wheels feed torque for regenerative braking, maximizing the energy recovery. Electricity due to regenerative braking is fed to the battery pack to maintain or increase the state of charge.
The Wrangler Unlimited 4xe also features the ability to maximize regenerative energy production via a driver-selectable Max Regen feature.
When Max Regen is engaged, a more assertive regenerative braking calibration occurs when the vehicle sees zero throttle input from the driver (coasting). Max Regen can slow the Wrangler Unlimited 4xe faster than standard regenerative braking and generate more electricity for the battery pack. Once selected, the Max Regen feature remains engaged until driver deselects it.
4×4 Systems –
- MP3022 Selec-Trac –
- Standard – Sahara Unlimited 4xe and High Altitude Unlimited 4xe
- Type – Full-Time
- Operating Modes – 2WD High (N/A 392); 4WD Auto; 4WD High; Neutral; 4WD Low
- Low Range-Ratio – 2.72:1
- MP3022OR Rock-Trac –
- Optional – Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
- Type – Full-Time
- Operating Modes – 2WD High; 4WD Auto; 4WD High; Neutral; 4WD Low
- Low Range-Ratio – 4.0:1
- Front – Third-Generation Dana Axles
- Differential Type – Open or Tru-Lok electronic locking (Rubicon 4xe models)
- Rear – Third-Generation Dana Axles
- Differential Type –Open (Sahara 4xe and High Altitude 4xe) with available Trac-Lok anti-spin, Tru-Lok electronic locking (Rubicon 4xe)
- Axle Ratios –3.45, 3.73 (Sahara 4xe and High Altitude 4xe), 4.10 (Rubicon 4xe)
- Front – Solid axle, link coil, leading arms, track bar, coil springs, stabilizer bar
- Stabilizer Bar – Electronic sway-bar disconnect system — (Rubicon 4xe)
- Shock Type –
- Sahara 4xe / High Altitude 4xe: High-pressure gas-charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology
- Rubicon 4xe: High-pressure gas-charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology and hydraulic rebound stop
- Rear – Solid axle, link coil, trailing arms, track bar, coil springs, stabilizer bar
- Shock Type –
- Sahara 4xe / High Altitude 4xe: High-pressure gas-charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology
- Rubicon: High-pressure gas-charged monotube shock absorbers with MTV technology and hydraulic rebound stop
Open Air Experience –
The Jeep Wrangler is known for its open-air capability. There is no other vehicle that offers as many options for open-air experiences as the Wrangler…
- The Sunrider Soft Top provides an easy open-air option. The Soft-Top features retainers that slide into a track for easy passenger window removal.
- Three-Piece Hard-Top with Freedom panels offers a unique premium appearance while a black three-piece hardtop is available on most models, a body-color option is also available on upper trim models. The Freedom panels feature easy-to-remove latches for quick removal and installation.
- The Flip-Top Sunrider for Hard-Top models is available on all Wranglers, it offers a front-row soft-top that quickly and easily flips back for an enhanced open-air driving experience.
- Sky One-Touch Power-Top (Wrangler Unlimited models) allows occupants to open or close the Wrangler’s roof with a push of a button. The Sky One-Touch Power-Top can be used at speeds up to 60 mph (97 km/h).
- A Dual-Door Group option is available (one for base doors, the other for premium doors) and includes both full and half-doors. Full-steel production doors are installed on the Wrangler while matching body-color half doors are conveniently packaged within the vehicle. Engineered, tested, and backed by the factory, the new half-door option enhances the Jeep Wrangler driving experience with production styling, security, and occupant protection. With lower window ledges, half doors provide improved visibility while maneuvering on and off-road.
- Factory-backed, doors-off mirror kit for Wrangler is specifically engineered and tested to original-equipment standards, providing a production-equivalent field of view with minimal vibration. Each mirror in the kit attaches to a cowl-end cap bolt and the upper door hinge. In addition, an innovative, custom thumb wheel-nut-clamp is used as an attachment point to the door flange. Mounting brackets are finished with an anti-corrosion undercoat and durable black powder-coat finish. Mirrors include a built-in breakaway feature that prevents damage while in tight spaces on the road or trail.
Technology & Safety –
All Wrangler Unlimited 4xe models include a 8.4-inch Uconnect 4C touchscreen with pinch-and-zoom capability. The system delivers communication, entertainment, and navigation settings that Wrangler customers have come to expect. This includes both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability.
Wrangler models with the 8.4-inch Uconnect 4C touchscreen can opt for the TrailCam forward-facing off-road camera. It is accessible through the available Off-Road Pages setting on the touchscreen.
Drivers and passengers also have an abundance of infotainment features at their fingertips with SiriusXM Radio, Travel Link, Traffic, and Guardian Connected Services that provide real-time information.
Safety and security were paramount in the development of the Jeep Wrangler (JL), which offers more than 75 available active and passive safety and security features. Available features include Blind-Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection, ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines, electronic stability control (ESC) with electronic roll mitigation, and four standard airbags.
At the launch of the 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe, there will be 11 exterior colors. Those colors include Black, Bright White, Earl (NEW), Firecracker Red, Granite Crystal, High Velocity, Hydro Blue, Reign (NEW, limited edition), Sarge Green, Silver Zynith, and Sting-Gray.
There will also be 3 interior colors available depending on the trim level selected for 2023. Those colors include Black, Black/Dark Saddle, and Heritage Tan.
For the 2023 model year, we do have the starting U.S. Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the core models.
|2023 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited 4xe (JL) Lineup Starting MSRP:|
|Trim||Configuration||Starting MSRP (excl Destination)|
|Sahara 4xe||Four-Door (Unlimited)||$55,260|
|Rubicon 4xe||Four-Door (Unlimited)||$58,990|
|High Altitude 4xe||Four-Door (Unlimited)||$60,935|
The prices above do not include any extra destination, documentation, dealer markups, or taxes.
Ordering for the 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe is now available at U.S. Jeep dealers. Production will begin in August at the Toledo Suppliers Park in Toledo, Ohio.