Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next generation charger?

James.A

Reaction score
Enjoy ...... always garner a lot of "I am out" talk..... that the way you feel try something different. It not clear whether there will be a next Camaro or Mustang, it is unlikely. Especially since you haven't actually seen anything enough to make the claim., For darn sure the new EV and 2024 is NOT a LX, it whole new car.

I be pretty happy myself if they don't depart to far from the successful formula that has managed to kick the trend. But you do you.
LOL, where did I make a claim or even mention the Camaro or Mustang? That being said, there are test mules for the next Mustang that have been caught, easy to find. A bunch of YouTube videos on the topic with images. The rumors are AWD and hybrid but its too early to know. But Ford will have put out a new model, a refresh and whole new model again before Chrysler updates their cars. Mind blowing. Isn't the Camaro officially dead after this or next year? Who cares anyway.

As for departing from the successful formula - not LX, all but dropping V8's for smaller engines and going all in on electric and hybrid sounds like a big departure from the successful formula. Getting lazy on design doesn't sound like a counter balance. I doubt having a front end that looks like a previous V8 model will trick or convince anyone into an I4 hybrid whatever. Probably wouldn't buy the first year either, so that adds even more time. Could do two lease cycles of other brands before deciding on whatever Chrysler does (or doesn't knowing them) eventually put out.

TripleT

Reaction score
ah using google to do research instead of people who aren't allowed to speak on the record.

You do you ...... I'm leaving .... honor me.

Last edited:

cygnus

Reaction score
The Mazda Inline 6 RWD stuff is interesting.

TripleT

Reaction score
it is but isn't that the complaint about the next Dodges.... BMW is god ugly. IDK where one would go. I guess desire for something new is strong.

I would agree the Mazda is interesting. Porche Macan was on my list.

Mopar392

Reaction score
No one said the V8 is totally gone of the next generation Charger and Challenger.

Anyone who drove a M3/M4 twin turbo Inline-6 or even -45/40 Bimmers will know how good these engines are in term of power delivery and sound.

I’m honestly can’t wait Mopar’s version of the inline-6.

The Mazda Inline 6 RWD stuff is interesting.
Being able to have a mode-size car with a RWD and cost less than 30 grands is what making Mazda interesting.

James.A

Reaction score
No one said the V8 is totally gone of the next generation Charger and Challenger.

Anyone who drove a M3/M4 twin turbo Inline-6 or even -45/40 Bimmers will know how good these engines are in term of power delivery and sound.

I’m honestly can’t wait Mopar’s version of the inline-6.

Being able to have a mode-size car with a RWD and cost less than 30 grands is what making Mazda interesting.
As good as they may or may not be, to the previous point, it's a big departure from the successful formula. That being said, I'm looking forward to it too. Its taking too long IMO.

AlexB

Reaction score
LOL, where did I make a claim or even mention the Camaro or Mustang? That being said, there are test mules for the next Mustang that have been caught, easy to find. A bunch of YouTube videos on the topic with images. The rumors are AWD and hybrid but its too early to know. But Ford will have put out a new model, a refresh and whole new model again before Chrysler updates their cars. Mind blowing. Isn't the Camaro officially dead after this or next year? Who cares anyway.

As for departing from the successful formula - not LX, all but dropping V8's for smaller engines and going all in on electric and hybrid sounds like a big departure from the successful formula. Getting lazy on design doesn't sound like a counter balance. I doubt having a front end that looks like a previous V8 model will trick or convince anyone into an I4 hybrid whatever. Probably wouldn't buy the first year either, so that adds even more time. Could do two lease cycles of other brands before deciding on whatever Chrysler does (or doesn't knowing them) eventually put out.
You did state “move on from Dodge” , but the question is where?
Ford is not Doing an new ICE Mustang, Ford is doing an update of the existing Mustang, with all new Mustang EV Only in 2027-2028.
Stellantis is giving you ICE + Hybrid options in addition to pure Electric options.
AND THE CARS ARE NOT AN LX.

Last edited:

James.A

Reaction score
You did state “move on from Dodge” , but the question is where?
Ford is not Doing an new ICE Mustang, Ford is doing an update of the existing Mustang, with all new Mustang EV Only in 2027-2028.
Stellantis is giving you ICE + Hybrid options in addition to pure Electric options.
AND THE CARS ARE NOT AN LX.
I didn't say where so bringing up the Mustang was unwarranted. You're wrong about the Mustang and there is no point in emphasizing the LX bit - I agreed. Point was that its a big deviation from the successful strategy.

VANISHING POINT #1

Reaction score
It's still mind blowing to me that we have another 2 years before the new cars show up on lots... and that sounds like the earliest. Looking at the more expensive 2022's and the nothing new they offer for I think I'm done. Time to move on from Dodge. The car under the cover in Dodge EV day video looks like a refresh of the wide body Charger nose. Uninspiring to be honest.
What will you move onto next?

AlexB

Reaction score
I didn't say where so bringing up the Mustang was unwarranted. You're wrong about the Mustang and there is no point in emphasizing the LX bit - I agreed. Point was that its a big deviation from the successful strategy.
You are in denial about Mustang, you forget Ford exports a good number of Mustang to Europe which have harsher rules than U.S. in 2030.
On top of that Ford don’t want to spend capital on unique U.S/E.U. Powertrains for Mustang.

Finally Mach E has done better than expectations, so all together next generation Mustang is EV only.

Mopar392

Reaction score
LX being a successful formula doesn’t make it the only one. Next Challenger will be a modern design yet it will keep the retro vibe but not a ruined design like the current Camaro.
We know 392 is staying and most likely will be improved and hybridized.
The 5.7 will be replaced by a better engine.
The EV model is most likely what’s going to replace the Hellcat.

Next Mustang, which is according to the latest rumors, is MY23, and in one of the interviews with some big Ford’s manager, it will keep the V8 but in some sort of hybridization.

James.A

Reaction score
LX being a successful formula doesn’t make it the only one. Next Challenger will be a modern design yet it will keep the retro vibe but not a ruined design like the current Camaro.

Next Mustang, which is according to the latest rumors, is MY23, and in one of the interviews with some big Ford’s manager, it will keep the V8 but in some sort of hybridization.
The formula argument wasn't mine, and my reply in regards to it was that it sounds like its a big departure from the formula. I'm fine with all that, I just want it now not in 2 years. But wait I must, so I'm looking elsewhere. It's so far off that I can lease something else and see what I think after the new cars come (if they do) and go from there. But I'm not spending thousands more for the same product I bought a few years ago.

All "evidence" on Mustang points to what you've said about it. Hybrid V8. Sounds good to me.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Or you can save whatever you were going to pay for a lease, get the new Challenger with a V8 and swap in a crate Demon or screw charge it.

AlexB

Reaction score

That’s NOT a New Car, That’s The Update referred….. its a MCE not a complete redesign.

TripleT

Reaction score
I am going to say this and many are not going to like it.

We should be damn thankful that they are taking a flier on what is a dying segment. The 200 fresh is everyone's mind, the minivan scrapping by,

There is certainly some creative accounting being used to secure the ROI. Everyone acts as if they are entitled to some new thing exactly as they imagine it, something costing billions of dollars to implement.

Dodge certainly has bucked to trend with the Charger and Challenger, operating profitably in a segment that is drying up faster than a overcooked turkey.

The formula of constant improvement of the powertrain, and incremental development of the vehicle itself has kept the price tag low and raised the margins.

It quite a brave of them to move to a entirely new car and I mean car like low slung, in todays environment ..... and damn risky (though mostly driven by regulatory pressures) to introduce a new powertrain that doesn't have 8 cylinders and says Hemi. When management says "its not 1972" it because they are worried that it is 1972.

I am willing bet there are CUV versions on the board just waiting if there is a crash.....

Why this rant? Because the entitlement of some is nauseating..... no one here is risking their career to go out on limb when all the math says do something else. Its pretty easy to get on a mostly anonymous forum and tout your moral superiority to those soulless bean counters, when the most you risk buying a fing Mazda instead. (do any of you have small idea of Fiscal gates that have to be passed through on the development funnel, the approvals needed to advance a project risking a billions of dollars) it mind boggling that anything come out the funnel at the other end.

I get it... it fun... it fun the argue, it fun to speculate, it fun say play the game my way or I am taking my ball in going home. It fun and entertaining.

But the reality is there are people in the trenches putting their heart and soul into what comes next, decision maker risking there entire career on what is happen right now. Not figuratively, actually risking their lively hood. I been adjacent to this my entire career, let me tell you how rare that is in the industry. It takes more courage in the environment than people imagine. The best project are the ones that look good on paper but never get implemented. Everyone cheers your fantastic powerpoint, it perfect on paper then you get 5 year promotion, and start again. The pressure to stay in line is immense.

Good on those at Dodge for stepping out of line..... we should be cautiously optimistic and excited either way to see what it too come.

Not to be the Grinch that Steals our forum fun..... but just some realistic perspective.

There should be joy there will be a new Charger and Challenger.

Users who are viewing this thread