Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) has issued a recall for approximately 165,503 units of its 2019 to 2021 Ram ProMaster full-size vans equipped with the 62TE automatic transmission. The reason for the recall is that the park pawl may not fully engage the park gear due to debris inside the transmission, which could result in a vehicle rollaway and increase the risk of a crash or injury.
The affected vehicles were produced between July 25th, 2018, and November 27th, 2021, and were equipped with powertrain control module software that could cause premature failure of the lower clutch (“LC”) retainer. This failure may generate metallic debris, which may interfere with park pawl engagement to the park gear.
- On August 23rd, 2022, the FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened an investigation into the 2019-2021 MY Ram ProMaster for a potential rolling while in park condition.
- From August 2022 through March 2023, FCA US TSRC analyzed warranty, customer records, and vehicle histories and determined that the affected vehicles were equipped with powertrain control module software, causing premature failure of the lower clutch (“LC”) retainer. Premature failure of the LC retainer may generate metallic debris, which may interfere with park pawl engagement to the park gear.
- As of April 14th, 2023, FCA US is aware of two customer assistance records, 64 warranty claims, and zero field reports potentially related to this issue for all markets with dates of receipt ranging from June 24th, 2020 through April 7th, 2023.
- As of April 14th, 2023, FCA US is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially related to this issue for all markets.
- On April 20th, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will update the powertrain control module software and inspect and replace, as necessary, the transmission or components within the transmission, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on June 16th, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is 44A.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
No replies yet
Loading new replies...
Join the full discussion at the Mopar Insiders Forum →