Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis exec makes clear more power coming to I-6 Hurricane, but HEMI is gone.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Maserati is going all 100% EV along with Alfa & Chrysler brands.
Pretty much only V8 would be RAM HD's.
Pure ICE power running on gas or diesel is an endangered species in the commercial truck market. In the region of the US I live in CNG stations are not hard to find and the price is half that of diesel. Going back in time a few decades, the V8's use in trucks justified the decision to continue the use of the engine in passenger cars. This was due to the economics of scale.

I don't know what Stellantis has up their sleeve, but the higher GVW vehicles are also subject to a host of government regulations. I would guess the BGE is continuing, but offered with hybridization. Also likely both the gas V8 and the Cummins engines will offer conversions to alternate fuels such as propane and CNG. Expect a battery electric option to be offered, there are vendors more than willing to help. Those same vendors are also willing to help scale up the Ramcharger's power train to commercial duty with solid e-axles.

AlexB

Reaction score
Pure ICE power running on gas or diesel is an endangered species in the commercial truck market. In the region of the US I live in CNG stations are not hard to find and the price is half that of diesel. Going back in time a few decades, the V8's use in trucks justified the decision to continue the use of the engine in passenger cars. This was due to the economics of scale.

I don't know what Stellantis has up their sleeve, but the higher GVW vehicles are also subject to a host of government regulations. I would guess the BGE is continuing, but offered with hybridization. Also likely both the gas V8 and the Cummins engines will offer conversions to alternate fuels such as propane and CNG. Expect a battery electric option to be offered, there are vendors more than willing to help. Those same vendors are also willing to help scale up the Ramcharger's power train to commercial duty with solid e-axles.
Agree , also the slower regulations for HD's under CARB rules.

ScramFan

Reaction score
I can't imagine Ram will not follow Ford and GM by offering a large displacement, cast iron block, pushrod V8 engine in their lineup.

Ford recently introduced the 7.3 and 6.8 Gas engines, and GM is supposedly working on an all new large displacement offering for their pickups.

I know Cummins is working on a gasoline version of their 6.7 I6, but that's going to be turbo charged, and likely very expensive compared to an in house V8 offering.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I can't imagine Ram will not follow Ford and GM by offering a large displacement, cast iron block, pushrod V8 engine in their lineup.

Ford recently introduced the 7.3 and 6.8 Gas engines, and GM is supposedly working on an all new large displacement offering for their pickups.

I know Cummins is working on a gasoline version of their 6.7 I6, but that's going to be turbo charged, and likely very expensive compared to an in house V8 offering.
When the old Chrysler Corp was going down the tubes in the late 1970's they jettisoned their RV and school bus chassis offerings. The end of the big block motors also brought the end of the higher GVW trucks. The Big Horn and COE diesel tractors were gone by then. The D/W 350 were the heaviest GVW models offered after 1980 with the exception of a higher GVW model series offered in Latin America.

As Lee Iacocca took the reigns, meetings were held discussing exiting the truck business entirely. Pickup truck sales fell off a cliff in calendar year 1979 because of a spike in energy prices and new tighter emissions regulations hurt performance and drove up prices. Plants were shuttered which meant the club cabs and crew cabs were no longer offered by the mid-1980's. What would become the Dakota was on the drawing board at that time, because a decision was made to continue trucks and vans. That decision also led to the Cummins relationship.

Today the heaviest payload model offered by Ram is the 5500 chassis-cab. Ford still offers the F-750, E-series cutaways, commercial van and motor home chassis. Ford has a business case for their 7.3 gas V8. I don't see the 6.8 offered in the HD trucks for the 2024 model year on the Ford website.

I doubt there is a business case for a new gas V8 to replace the 6.4. Most likely the 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis will continue to be built in small numbers in Mexico for the commercial vehicle market in Latin America. Some 6.4 engines will be sent here for the HD trucks. By that time the 6-speed transmissions will be gone, most likely replaced by the ZF Powerline 8-speed for both gas and diesel Ram heavy-duty commercial trucks.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Here is what Cummins states on their website, " ...the B6.7 will be offered in diesel, natural gas, gasoline and propane." I don't know what Ram will do at that point.

WXman

Reaction score
With diesel fuel prices rising, diesel engine up front cost rising, and all the expensive diesel maintenance and repair, a LOT of guys are ordering the new Ford gas engines. The 7.3 and 6.8 engines seem to be getting a lot of attention. As mentioned already, GM has the 6.6 which is relatively new and they announced another new V8 coming soon. I can't help but to think that Ram's reluctance to move their HD trucks forward is why their sales have fallen off a cliff. Consumers buy the latest and greatest, especially when it costs less to do so. I think I read that Ram is seeing a 300 day supply right now which is just horrible and shows how undesirable their trucks have become.

They NEED new V8 engines and a new body style ASAP.

ScramFan

Reaction score
Here's the fact sheet of the gasoline B6.7. 325hp and 660lb/ft. Lower HP than Ford's and GM's HD gasoline engines but much more torque than them.

Now how much will it cost?

If it carries an $8-$10k premium over a comparably equipped Ford or GM with their respective old tech V8's, it's a non starter, at least for most fleets.

Not to mention the severe weight penalty that engine incurs (which affects max GCVW).

But I'm no expert.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
I have no idea what the Ram people are going to offer. They might just continue to install the the ISB diesels like they always have.

Ford's killer app with the 7.3 is the propane prep package. The motor receives beefed up components from the factory for propane fuel use and is sent to an outside supplier for completion. Propane is proving very popular with fleets. Another threat to Ram is someone has solved the vapor lock problem with direct injection motors fueled by propane. The fix is some type of new injection pump. This puts the GM 6.6 liter V8 back in the game.

The gasoline fueled Cummins ISB is a perfect fit for the ZF Powerline 8-speed. Especially if Ram decides on a hybrid option for their HD trucks. Since Ram is building the heavy duty trucks in Mexico they should take advantage of the situation, and set up conversion shops so to also offer CNG, Propane and gasoline/hybrid. This is only my opinion.

About that propane fuel-
Cheap diesel fuel killed propane as an automotive fuel. The Chicago Transit Authority in the Fifties and Sixties had the largest fleet of alternative fueled vehicles in the country, if not the world. CTA was running electric busses and they also had a fleet of propane busses. Everything was discontinued just before the 1973 Arab oil embargo. Today's electrical vehicle push by the grifters and bureaucrats now has the propane industry fighting back. The propane advocates watched what happened with the CNG fuel corridor programs and took note of its success. One company has come up with what they call a micro-grid solution. This means it is independent of the energy grid. It a platform based refueling station which can be easily setup or taken down and moved. It has both pumps for propane autogas and level 3 charging stations. The platform will feature both wind and solar energy, but unlike some EV charging networks, the platform will not use a diesel generator when nature doesn't cooperate. They will use propane fueled generators which are much cleaner and more cost effective. The idea is mostly tailored towards fleets wanting to escape the high cost of diesel and the volatile price of gasoline.

I'm hoping Ram takes another look at natural gas and propane.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
The larger displacement 3.7L (or whatever) I6 is probably the answer to this. Probably 450hp and 580+ TQ

TripleT

Reaction score
Think it would be all new components unless they can stroke it as the engine is very compact

Last edited:

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain there is no such thing.
They need a gas option for their HD trucks and that's all they have to work with so I believe it, wires may have been crossed with what cummins is working on, but seeing how poorly their 5.0L did with Nissan and the cranks breaking - Chrysler would be wise to just do it in house. The prior HD gas engines was stuff they already had as well, 5.7 and 6.4 so it'll be what they do.

Last edited:

ScramFan

Reaction score
They need a gas option for their HD trucks and that's all they have to work with so I believe it, wires may have been crossed with what cummins is working on, but seeing how poorly their 5.0L did with Nissan and the cranks breaking - Chrysler would be wise to just do it in house. The prior HD gas engines was stuff they already had as well, 5.7 and 6.4 so it'll be what they do.

I meant I don't believe they are working on a 3.7L I6.

I think you may have fallen for fake news posted elsewhere.

I've said it a often, and I have no knowledge, but I think a case could be made for Ram to continue to offer a large displacement, cast iron block, naturally aspirated, pushrod 90° V8 for their HD trucks.

Maybe an evolution of the 6.4, maybe something all new, but I would be surprised if the V8 went away for the HD trucks, while both Ford and GM continue to invest in this area.

XRT2SRT

Reaction score
On the topic of a developing V8, would it be possible/feasible to go with a STR8 based on the in-line 6 cylinder? I'm guessing the V8 architecture would be better for packaging, especially when in hybrid form?

TripleT

Reaction score
Well the corporate cousins sorted of did, so yes .... the question is would it be more powerful.... certainly more expensive.

The Hurricane 6 is definitely very compact when you see it you will be amazed. So, the packaging is false. V configuration like twice as complicated and very tight between the cylinders.

Less room for intake, less room for turbos and exhaust. Less balanced, and less room for geometry to secure the heads.

The just published article talks about the discontinuing Maserati V8, Under 600 hp, has Turbos so less sound. Hurricane6 already has more potential.

Last edited:

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
On the topic of a developing V8, would it be possible/feasible to go with a STR8 based on the in-line 6 cylinder? I'm guessing the V8 architecture would be better for packaging, especially when in hybrid form?
Dodge uses what they have, they have never, in 30 years made a specific V8 gas for the trucks. I believe the 3.7 TT I6. They have a 3.0L with 560hp, I dont think they're afraid of using a version for the 2500/3500 gasser trucks. That 3.7 block would also end up in the charger SRT ala 6.4 SRT and 6.4 BGE. On the flip side, with EV sales tanking maybe a new V8 is in the works, for HD trucks and muscle..time will tell

Users who are viewing this thread