Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis exec makes clear more power coming to I-6 Hurricane, but HEMI is gone.

AlexB

Reaction score
Micky Bly, senior vice president and head of global propulsion systems at Stellantis, told a crowd at an electrification conference here Wednesday that the company was continuing to invest in — and clean up — the internal combustion engine as it rolls out electric vehicles."When we came together as two families, PSA and FCA, we had a lot of engines. We are rapidly streamlining our three-cylinder, four-cylinder and six-cylinder and even our eight-cylinder engines. We are aggressively streamlining our diesel portfolio. We already exited the 3.0-liter diesel. We will have a low-displacement diesel and a big diesel that's coming in the future."
Stellantis, Bly said, is also on track to launch 75 EVs globally by the end of the decade. "We have to balance this approach. ICE is here to stay for a period of time. We are growing capacity, adding capacity, for South America, the Middle East and Europe and Asia Pacific."
As for the U.S., Bly said Stellantis' strategy will see new engines and improved versions of current gasoline powertrains.
"One of the things that was very clear [in the merger of PSA Group and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles] was that we had some engines that were not performing well on our C02 road map," he said. "We could fix some of those things with [mild and plug-in hybrids]. The Hemi doesn't have all the attributes we needed. We could go and redo the Hemi, but we realized we needed to downsize the engine and bring up the power."
That happened late last year with the introduction of the 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo inline six-cylinder, which makes more power than the bigger, heavier 6.4-liter Hemi V-8. A high-output version of the Hurricane makes 520 hp, 35 hp more than the Hemi V-8. "We have more power. We just haven't released it yet," said Bly.
The Hurricane will spawn one new engine, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder. Bly said there is also a three-cylinder on the way. It will be based on an existing European engine.
Bly said that Stellantis plans to keep and improve the Pentastar V-6, even though the Hurricane engine is small enough to replace it.

"The Pentastar is a very good, lower-cost, rock-solid, high-quality stalwart of our collection, and we have no plans to replace it. In fact, shortly, you will hear of an improvement coming, and it will be a bit of an electrification story."

While other automakers have announced plans to go all EV, Stellantis, with 14 brands globally, is not planning to quit gasoline or diesel.
It should be noted Michael Bly was a Manley hire in 2019 from American Axle, but before that he spent 23 years at GM.

TripleT

Reaction score
Wow it is almost exactly what I have been saying. That the Hemi as it is doesn't work. It would have to be ground up redone, which mean not really that engine anymore, that it would have to have less displacement. And then in the end would make less power than the Hurricane, That Hurricane has more powerful variants on the way.

Yet Motor Trend reports that DI smaller displacement V8 engines are rumored in the works whether it gets green lighted with the above reality remains to be seen, and could always get hand built like Ford.... but the same criticism will ring out.... blah blah blah, not a hemi, blah blah blah, xenophobic comment, blah blah blah, not a 7.0 liter.........

Regulatory realities be damned.... that not how the world works.

I for one happy that they have recognized the value of ICE where others like Government Motors seem to be abandoning it. The Hemi with will live on as a Crate motor and sure will find its way between the fender of new sheet metal by someone who doesn't have to pay a fine.

Interesting to see the Pentastar lives on .... likely because its compact size we know it can hold more boast based on the Alfa Motor but man that is fickle engine, hopefully they can sort that out.

ScramFan

Reaction score
It should be noted Michael Bly was a Manley hire in 2019 from American Axle, but before that he spent 23 years at GM.

I always thought they were secretly working on a new V8, but I'm surprised to hear about "a new large diesel."

Could it possibly be related to the hurricane I6 gas engine?

I know BMW has an I6 diesel that is somehow related to their I6 gas engine.

I would love to read more about both (the gas and diesel) these new engine programs.

TripleT

Reaction score
I always thought they were secretly working on a new V8, but I'm surprised to hear about "a new large diesel."

Could it possibly be related to the hurricane I6 gas engine?

I know BMW has an I6 diesel that is somehow related to their I6 gas engine.

I would love to read more about both (the gas and diesel) these new engine programs.
My guess this is referring to the EU market

ScramFan

Reaction score
My guess this is referring to the EU market

Probably, but I wonder what EU market products would even require a large diesel? Seems like everything they offer there is moving towards 100% electric, including all their light commercial stuff.

I wonder if the new diesel could be a fit for a global mid sized 1 metric ton pick up. Who knows.

TripleT

Reaction score
Probably, but I wonder what EU market products would even require a large diesel? Seems like everything they offer there is moving towards 100% electric, including all their light commercial stuff.

I wonder if the new diesel could be a fit for a global mid sized 1 metric ton pick up. Who knows.
What we consider large and what EU considers large at two different things. Once was told I have the Big engine, the 2 liter. :D ...

3 liter would be a big engine.

bill burke

Reaction score
Still some gray area here, but the public realization on the upper executive level that ICE are a fixture for success long term is reassuring. My tea leaves do not reveal the particulars but the brew now predicts an essential ingredient, consumer choice.
I’d like to express, based on the broad outlines of the post, my “choice” of possible choices, specifically the truly outstanding Pentastar V6, an engine I have opted for in many of my vehicles with great satisfaction. After an internal update mechanically, I’d love to see the E-Torque system adopted to augment power and economy and eliminate accessory drain while bypassing the drawbacks of turbo boosted engines. My package of choice would be in a next generation Jeep Cherokee and the GT Dodge Challengers and Chargers. I’m holding off replacing my current Cherokee Overland to a time when tea leaves become reality and this combination of my choice of choices would get me in a showroom near me pronto.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
RIP HEMI

We went to Alberta last month and got a Durango for our rental. I've always loved them, but having the opportunity to drive it daily for a week and a half was awesome. Even the pedestrian 5.7 makes good noises at WOT.

53273289431_5b2e0948db_b.jpg

Great noises + MPGs that weren't that far off my Cherokee. having said that, the driving was mostly highway driving, but makes me really wish for a hybrid Hemi vehicle to come in the future.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Stellantis most likely will end up being the only US motor company without a V8.
If the Hurricane is truly a modular design, they can make 4.0l V8 out of the 4 cylinders.
Yes it’s small displacement but with a Twin Turbo, it will hit the 600hp with ease plus the torque.
Yes Hurricane I6 can also potentially hit the 600hp, but the torque curve and delivery are different.

TripleT

Reaction score
Stellantis most likely will end up being the only US motor company without a V8.
If the Hurricane is truly a modular design, they can make 4.0l V8 out of the 4 cylinders.
Yes it’s small displacement but with a Twin Turbo, it will hit the 600hp with ease plus the torque.
Yes Hurricane I6 can also potentially hit the 600hp, but the torque curve and delivery are different.
Yes straight 6 typically have better torque delivery because of the balanced pressure.

Motortrend is reporting there is a V8 but has gotten no a green light. Likely as was stated in the article that it doesn't outperform the straight 6. And y'all know once you has spinning mufflers to ANY engine it does have the deep unmuted growl.

Government motors is going all Electric. And Ford are low volume easily hidden by the number of Turbo engines they sell.

Last edited:

ScramFan

Reaction score

I don't see a strong case for a 4.0L OHC V8, even with twin turbos.

If it's true that they're working on a new V8 engine, it would make the most sense if it were a naturally aspirated, cast iron block, large displacement (7L or larger) pushrod V8.

I mean, it would be great if they could have both, but if you could only have 1, I would think a new version of an old school pushrod V8 engine would be preferable.

Just my two cents.

TripleT

Reaction score
I don't see a strong case for a 4.0L OHC V8, even with twin turbos.

If it's true that they're working on a new V8 engine, it would make the most sense if it were a naturally aspirated, cast iron block, large displacement (7L or larger) pushrod V8.

I mean, it would be great if they could have both, but if you could only have 1, I would think a new version of an old school pushrod V8 engine would be preferable.

Just my two cents.
??????

For who. heavy fragile, emission challenged. This already exist just buy it and install it. Make very little practical since as it would make way less then a tuned version of Hurricane.

It is literally to be retro?

IF they put a Hemi V8 plastic cover on Hurricane 97,5 of buying public would NEVER know the other 2.5% can get a crate engine.

Motor Trend again said there is V8 in development... but it would be Halo engine like Ford. GM all in on EVS.

Hemi and V8 is purely a marketing scheme at that point... People just like the idea of it.

ScramFan

Reaction score
??????

For who. heavy fragile, emission challenged. This already exist just buy it and install it. Make very little practical since as it would make way less then a tuned version of Hurricane.

It is literally to be retro?

IF they put a Hemi V8 plastic cover on Hurricane 97,5 of buying public would NEVER know the other 2.5% can get a crate engine.

Motor Trend again said there is V8 in development... but it would be Halo engine like Ford. GM all in on EVS.

Hemi and V8 is purely a marketing scheme at that point... People just like the idea of it.

I'm thinking for the HD trucks.

Maybe they could make a very low number of these rumored new V8's as specials for top of line muscle cars, but I'm mostly talking about an engine for the HD truck lineup.

Ford offers 2 new (related) large displacement, cast iron block pushrod V8's and supposedly, GM is investing in a new large displacement gas V8 as well.

Maybe Ram decides they don't need it, but in my opinion, if the rumors of Dodge/Ram working on a new V8 are true, I don't think they would be working on a small, aluminum, twin turbo V8.

As you've said, they have already tested versions of the 3.0L I6 that make over 1000-1500 HP.

What would a 4.0L V8 do? Plus, a 4.0L V8 based on the 3.0L I6 would HAVE to have twin turbos to not get smoked by the 3.0L TT I6, and if you do that...then you lose the whole reason people complain about I6 in the first place, which is the sound.

It only makes sense (in my opinion), that they'd be working on something to replace the 6.4L in the trucks, or maybe to offer something above the 6.4...again I'm only talking about the HD truck lineup.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well Nissan isn't going to buy Cummin engines anymore.... How about that as a base engine?

HD trucks are a whole other story. They can keep the Hemi for that.

IDK get people seems to be in love with idea of having 2 sets of heads to maintain and a imbalance engine out of some sort of retro nostalgia thing.

ScramFan

Reaction score
Well Nissan isn't going to buy Cummin engines anymore.... How about that as a base engine?

HD trucks are a whole other story. They can keep the Hemi for that.

IDK get people seems to be in love with idea of having 2 sets of heads to maintain and a imbalance engine out of some sort of retro nostalgia thing.

Growing up, I spent countless hours being driven and then driving myself around listening to old AMC 4.2L I6's, and personally, I really love the way that engine sounds, so I'm a huge fan of the I6, and I'm very happy to see Stellantis bring it back.

I have not heard good things about that Cummins V8, and besides, I don't think a small V8 Diesel (5.6L is not so small anyway) makes sense anymore.

They are supposedly working on their own "large Diesel", which is hopefully a new I6 Diesel related to the gas I6 Hurricane. That would be great news as a "base Diesel" for the HD's, but that would still not take away the requirement for a large gas V8 engine for the HD trucks. Most likely though, this new "large Diesel" is probably going to be an update to the 3.0L I4 Diesel they have, and not meant for North America.

I'm just saying, if the rumors of them working on a new V8 are true, then to me, it has to be something for the HD trucks, not something specifically for mainstream cars.

To me, that means cast iron, pushrod, and large displacement, because that's what is common and expected in the HD Truck application.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't make a handful of high dollar, supercharged specials for some halo muscle cars, but I'm not so worried about that.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
Growing up, I spent countless hours being driven and then driving myself around listening to old AMC 4.2L I6's, and personally, I really love the way that engine sounds, so I'm a huge fan of the I6, and I'm very happy to see Stellantis bring it back.

I have not heard good things about that Cummins V8, and besides, I don't think a small V8 Diesel (5.6L is not so small anyway) makes sense anymore.

They are supposedly working on their own "large Diesel", which is hopefully a new I6 Diesel related to the gas I6 Hurricane. That would be great news as a "base Diesel" for the HD's, but that would still not take away the requirement for a large gas V8 engine for the HD trucks. Most likely though, this new "large Diesel" is probably going to be an update to the 3.0L I4 Diesel they have, and not meant for North America.

I'm just saying, if the rumors of them working on a new V8 are true, then to me, it has to be something for the HD trucks, not something specifically for mainstream cars.

To me, that means cast iron, pushrod, and large displacement, because that's what is common and expected in the HD Truck application.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't make a handful of high dollar, supercharged specials for some halo muscle cars, but I'm not so worried about that.
Don't really need to develop that you just talking about a stroked Hemi.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
The new V8 in development might be the gasser cummins that was mentioned a couple years ago...

Archknight

Reaction score
I've heard that a 3.7L I6 is on the way, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the upgrade and we'll first see it in the RAM TRX.

Users who are viewing this thread