Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiat Chrysler to invest €166 million in Poland, says Deputy PM

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

WARSAW, Dec 29 (Reuters) - Italian-American automaker Fiat Chrysler will invest 2 billion euros ($2.45 billion) in its plant in Tychy, Poland, Deputy Prime Minister Jaroslaw Gowin said on Tuesday, in a move that will see new hybrid and electric models produced at the factory.

The investment comes as a boost to emerging Europe’s largest economy, which is hoping a switch to electric vehicles can help its auto sector catch up with regional rivals including the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

“Modern, hybrid and electric cars of the Jeep, Fiat and Alfa Romeo brands will start to leave the factory in Tychy in 2022,” Gowin wrote on Twitter.

Fiat Chrysler, which is planning a $38 billion merger with French rival PSA to create the world’s No.4 carmaker, said in a statement the early preparations for the expansion and modernisation of the plant started in late 2020.

The plant in Poland’s industrial southern region of Silesia is one of the company’s largest and currently employs around 2,500 people.

Fiat Chrysler confirmed that new hybrid and electric Jeep, Fiat and Alfa Romeo models would be built in Tychy.

It said the aim was to start mass production of the first of the three new passenger car models for the group’s brands in the second half of 2022.

In its 2018-2022 plan, FCA pledged to invest 9 billion euros in electrification as part of investment plans totalling 45 billion.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I really dislike the idea of an Alfa B-SUV.
And I dislike even more the idea of one being built outside of Italy. It's a mistake like the Mito was a mistake.

AlexB

Reaction score

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Alfa B CUV was a part of Manley's changes...
FCA Earnings/Wall Street Confernce call:"Chrysler record profit" & Alfa writedown | Mopar Insiders Forum

The new Poland products looks to be first of the PSA-related ''Mopars''.........look like a new 500'' Classic'' they will be launched.
B SUV for Alfa is much longer under consideration. Manley is one who gave green light to it.

What bothers me is that FCA has more advanced platform with new eMini as is used by new 500. So I think that PSA CMP is just a bad dream.

@Deckard Cain could have right. It's not good for Alfa Romeo image to use 1.2 Inline 3 as top of the line engine. Just 130 HP because 155 HP versions can not be ordered for some months.
FCA eMini B SUV was planned with 1.5 turbo inline 4 which can top 200 HP.

Not to mention that eMini is AWD capable. CMP isn't. This doesn't bode well for Jeep brand.

AlexB

Reaction score
B SUV for Alfa is much longer under consideration. Manley is one who gave green light to it.

What bothers me is that FCA has more advanced platform with new eMini as is used by new 500. So I think that PSA CMP is just a bad dream.

@Deckard Cain could have right. It's not good for Alfa Romeo image to use 1.2 Inline 3 as top of the line engine. Just 130 HP because 155 HP versions can not be ordered for some months.
FCA eMini B SUV was planned with 1.5 turbo inline 4 which can top 200 HP.

Not to mention that eMini is AWD capable. CMP isn't. This doesn't bode well for Jeep brand.
I can see the platform for the E-Mini and CMP both being used for different applications,,,,,,,,,''a one AND Done'' platform would be such a GM behavior. I can see the Renegade getting chopped into multiple models in Europe ,while in North America it becomes urban EV Jeep or goes away entire given the rumblings from Ford( Kuga/Escape becomes the lowest priced Ford in the U.S.).

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see the platform for the E-Mini and CMP both being used for different applications,,,,,,,,,''a one AND Done'' platform would be such a GM behavior. I can see the Renegade getting chopped into multiple models in Europe ,while in North America it becomes urban EV Jeep or goes away entire given the rumblings from Ford( Kuga/Escape becomes the lowest priced Ford in the U.S.).

Not sure... I'm hoping that this models are in eMini and that's all.

This Jeep model is smaller than Renegade. It should be around 4.10 meters in length.
Renegade should grow.

AlexB

Reaction score
Not sure... I'm hoping that this models are in eMini and that's all.

This Jeep model is smaller than Renegade. It should be around 4.10 meters in length.
Renegade should grow.
I imagine basically a Jeep ''Grande Punto'' Crossover that's between standard Compass and current Renegade size.
I think Carlos will have Jeep in the European market with 8-9 different models.

pumadog

Reaction score
While I'd prefer a classic hatchback, I don't think Alfa in the B segment is a mistake. They need affordable cars to get younger drivers on board and keep the whole family happy, create more brand awareness and showroom traffic. Get the brand visible again on the street. People don't cross-shop that much between Fiat-Alfa or Jeep-Alfa. I just hope it gets FCA engines.

And I don't agree that the Mito was a mistake. It just suffered from a lack of investments into updates, variants and advertising after the the launch. Specially being a new entry to the segment. I had mine for eight happy years and enjoyed it's special Alfa character despite sitting on a Fiat platform. Imagine it got a GTA, 5-door and convertible version, plus a proper update after 3-4 years and continued advertising!

sjon

Reaction score
While I'd prefer a classic hatchback, I don't think Alfa in the B segment is a mistake. They need affordable cars to get younger drivers on board and keep the whole family happy, create more brand awareness and showroom traffic. Get the brand visible again on the street. People don't cross-shop that much between Fiat-Alfa or Jeep-Alfa. I just hope it gets FCA engines.

And I don't agree that the Mito was a mistake. It just suffered from a lack of investments into updates, variants and advertising after the the launch. Specially being a new entry to the segment. I had mine for eight happy years and enjoyed it's special Alfa character despite sitting on a Fiat platform. Imagine it got a GTA, 5-door and convertible version, plus a proper update after 3-4 years and continued advertising!
I agree, we need young drivers and they would need an affordable car.
We have 2 Mito's in our family and both are enjoyed by their young drivers, who bought them second hand.

So nothing wrong with B segment.

TripleT

Reaction score
Phase 3 Lightening? The next to Alfa models will be Phase 2 Lightening. If the next models are phase 3 then the B will have some trick metal replacement in it.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Phase 3 Lightening? The next to Alfa models will be Phase 2 Lightening. If the next models are phase 3 then the B will have some trick metal replacement in it.

This B segment models could be PSA based. Forget anything advanced on them. PSA is known for mechanical decontent.

I mean. 1.2 Inline 3 as the largest engine. 130 or 155 HP. :(

TripleT

Reaction score
PSA JEEP? It would take 3 years to redesign the structure before they could slap a Jeep on it. The B segment Jeep has been in India being Computationally developed for several years... I would say it would be equally offensive to slap Alfa on underdeveloped PSA platform. Given the 50E conventional ICE to full electric which would lend itself to a easy conversion for A:fa and Jeep...... executives are apt to make poor decisions here and there but this seems a bit far afield

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
PSA JEEP? It would take 3 years to redesign the structure before they could slap a Jeep on it. The B segment Jeep has been in India being Computationally developed for several years... I would say it would be equally offensive to slap Alfa on underdeveloped PSA platform. Given the 50E conventional ICE to full electric which would lend itself to a easy conversion for A:fa and Jeep...... executives are apt to make poor decisions here and there but this seems a bit far afield
But it seems that's happening. Alfa and Jeep on PSA CMP platform.

Do I need to say that I'm not happy.

TripleT

Reaction score
why would they throw away the years of development on the B-Jeep? and start over? I have to see that when It happens as it would take a lot of work unless platform just means moving the build points to match the capacity. The Phase 2 lightening can be applied to any platform. IDK about Phase 3.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
why would they throw away the years of development on the B-Jeep? and start over? I have to see that when It happens as it would take a lot of work unless platform just means moving the build points to match the capacity. The Phase 2 lightening can be applied to any platform. IDK about Phase 3.

Tychy factory is very old, very old cages and assembly part. Only very narrow cars can be built there. Both so called eMini Wide or/and CMP could not fit.

Talk was always about 3 new cars. At least 3. And as we know plan predates PSA by a long shot. Actually 3 to 5. They've confirmed 3. Fiat, Alfa and Jeep. No word about 2nd Fiat or Lancia.

If this ends up on PSA CMP it would just confirm a bad feeling I had about Carlos Tavares at the very start. He may be the ultimate cost cutter.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well a poor handling Alfa might be forgiven. But a Jeep that comes apart 1/4 mile down the trail will NEVER fly.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Well a poor handling Alfa might be forgiven.
Such Alfas always failed.

And not only handling but 1.2 130 HP vs 1.5 200 HP...

Some said that Ford Puma ST was benchmark in terms of handling. Dunno.

TripleT

Reaction score
Such Alfas always failed.

And not only handling but 1.2 130 HP vs 1.5 200 HP...

Some said that Ford Puma ST was benchmark in terms of handling. Dunno.
Not selling.... and falling apart in pieces are do very different things. Alfa has a stellar reputation that should be upheld, but broken Jeeps getting passed on trail by Jimnys, would be a unbearable offense.

AlexB

Reaction score
Not selling.... and falling apart in pieces are do very different things. Alfa has a stellar reputation that should be upheld, but broken Jeeps getting passed on trail by Jimnys, would be a unbearable offense.
But the point-of-view of Manley back on Investor day/capital markets day was that International Markets care less about trails so Jeep needs to focus more on comfort.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
But the point-of-view of Manley back on Investor day/capital markets day was that International Markets care less about trails so Jeep needs to focus more on comfort.
This doesn't change the fact that (originally) Jeep B segment SUV was developed with AWD in mind.

This is cost cutter's i.e. Tavares' call.

E-Mini is technically superior platform to CMP. No doubt about it.

We may see more calls like this in the future. I'm getting more afraid for LATAM marker. They may bring some more brilliant ideas like pushing CMP to Fiat and Jeep in Brazil.

Users who are viewing this thread