Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Needs A More Affordable Entry-Level Performance Vehicle

In the ever-evolving landscape of the automotive industry, Dodge stands as an emblem of American muscle and performance. Yet, amidst its illustrious history, a glaring gap has emerged in its lineup – the absence of an affordable performance vehicle priced under $35,000. As competitors surge ahead with enticing options, Dodge finds itself at a crossroads, … (read full article...)

IMG_8804.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike201

Reaction score
The Dart really could have been that car. If it wasn’t under powered, it could have been the “small Charger”. If they put in the 3.6, this car would have screamed! My daughter had a 3.6 in her 2011 Chrysler 200 and the old car moved!!
The 3.6 with 300hp would have been sweet.
The car had the looks, if she had the power, I thinks it could have been different and would have fit that affordable muscle you are talking about.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
I agree they need one, but they killed it. Hello Dart, specifically Dart SRT. It was to be a turbo 4, AWD, rocket and many, including myself, waited. They said it was coming, Gilles said himself it was coming, and poof, like a fart in the wind, Marchionne did away with it. To this day one of the most foolish things he did, axe the Dart/200.

The article is a smorgasbord of nonsense. It cried about the lack of a budget performance car, and mentions the competitions offerings, yet there are none. The only competition mentioned is a small suv and a tiny “truck”. Neither of which are performance products in the least bit.

Do better

bill burke

Reaction score
The STLA small platform is there waiting to flesh out the Dodge lineup with small performance vehicles. I’d suggest a compact coupe, companion sedan or hatchback with a Hurricane four with a hybrid option in this segment. An obvious no brainer. Did it before, why not now?

Jeeprt

Reaction score
I feel the mistake they keep making in this segment is styling. They need a sporty car with raked look and sharp lines. This jelly bean stuff ( Dart, Hornet) screams dowdy economy car. And stop requiring thousands in options to get the car the way you want it. The options should be strictly for more tech and luxury items. I'd be fine without that stuff but I don't want ****ty looking wheels. The base car should look the same as the top of the line. This stuff should be obvious. Play your games and sell hardly any cars. Take my advice and sell them as fast as you can build them. Your choice.

XRT2SRT

Reaction score
A 4dr sedan alongside a 2dr hatch coupe boasting the GME 1.3/2.0 turbos, 9spd auto or 7+ spd DDCT and folks will knock the doors down. A MISSED OPPORTUNITY with NEON/DART. It cannot come without a hybrid option!

blkranger

Reaction score
I work at a Stellantis dealership and have drivin both the 200 and Dart. Loved the 200 and likek the 6 cylinder Dart. Right vehicles wrong timing.

RLH

Reaction score
It's obvious DODGE has walked away from true performance. Killing the Challenger and Charger and pushing the Hornet is reminiscent of a mid 1970's move. How long before the profit of a once powerful company forces new thinking?

Bello

Reaction score
They need a compact Durango that is has cargo room that can compete with Honda CRV or Rv4. Hornets is too small. It should also start at a more affordable price

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree they need one, but they killed it. Hello Dart, specifically Dart SRT. It was to be a turbo 4, AWD, rocket and many, including myself, waited. They said it was coming, Gilles said himself it was coming, and poof, like a fart in the wind, Marchionne did away with it. To this day one of the most foolish things he did, axe the Dart/200.

The article is a smorgasbord of nonsense. It cried about the lack of a budget performance car, and mentions the competitions offerings, yet there are none. The only competition mentioned is a small suv and a tiny “truck”. Neither of which are performance products in the least bit.

Do better

43152d1414179301-mopar-offers-sneak-peek-2014-sema-concepts-poison-dart-r-t-featured-b0t_kixica.jpeg

The Poison Dart was to set the future styling for the Dart... would have been a winner.

TripleT

Reaction score
It's obvious DODGE has walked away from true performance. Killing the Challenger and Charger and pushing the Hornet is reminiscent of a mid 1970's move. How long before the profit of a once powerful company forces new thinking?
WTH new member throwing mistruths and mischaracterizing. Charger is not killed, and they accidentally mentioned the Challenger.

I worry about ROI on any sedan. There is just no margin there. As much as people say they want one they keep only want it is a Value. How will that work made in NA. Unless it is source from Poland, Turkey, or Asia where is the margin going to come from?

We also forget the Hornet is just filling a missing gap and was the 3rd best selling PHEV and I have yet to see one Ad saying that is the case which is actually its best feature and justifies the cost.

Wanting something is only part of the equation. It has to be made at proper return on investment including the development dollar and implementation dollar. Not only that it has to beat other products in competition for that capacity.

But but but... they don't understand NA customers..... but but EVs ......... QUIT. NA has its own bespoke product line, only Brazil has that in the entire automotive Marketplace. EV are being forced on the OEMs by the CARB states that is not a margin thing its a stay in business in half the states thing.

Every Keyboard warrior wants to claim how the company needs this or needs that and often falls to Value Sedan .... whelp the margins are thin when selling value as for sedans upside down. And I see the movement in other parts of the world 2 the 2 box over the 3 box. Asside from performance and Luxury the 3 box gets little play.

Only companies I see making it on value in NA are Asian... Koreans sending cars in boxes, and Mitsubishis selling absolute trash.

Last edited:

cgseller

Reaction score
I remember hearing "complaints" ot was too hard to order (Dart). Is it just me that would love to order a vehicle to spec, and not have to buy "packages" that give me 10 things I actually don't want, to get the one thing I do? I'll pay 20% more for automatic headlights outside of the package and not get sunroof, overpriced 20speaker sound system, racing stripes, automatic parking, security alarm , etc for $2500. Just charge me the $250 for the automatic headlights.

I liked that about the dart, and the handle, cockpit, and the engine was fine for me - but it was not really what Dodge advertises now. It would have been a better Chrysler 100 today.

TripleT

Reaction score
I remember hearing "complaints" ot was too hard to order (Dart). Is it just me that would love to order a vehicle to spec, and not have to buy "packages" that give me 10 things I actually don't want, to get the one thing I do? I'll pay 20% more for automatic headlights outside of the package and not get sunroof, overpriced 20speaker sound system, racing stripes, automatic parking, security alarm , etc for $2500. Just charge me the $250 for the automatic headlights.

I liked that about the dart, and the handle, cockpit, and the engine was fine for me - but it was not really what Dodge advertises now. It would have been a better Chrysler 100 today.
I think if they are wanting to drive traffic with Value. and I have said for years the Argen or Tipo from Turkey is about the only option. I for darn sake don't want Mexican capacity used to make these if they are going to produce a SUSW car other than the Compass it #$#$ing well better be the Rampage.

Tipo and Tipo Cross would fill the role well for a 100.

AlexB

Reaction score
View attachment 9508

The Poison Dart was to set the future styling for the Dart... would have been a winner.
Rob, read the Stellantis CFO transcript . Forget Sub-$35,000 in North America. They are moving features to optional to lower low-mid tier package pricing in the buyer eyes but in reality retaining maintaining the pricing.

TripleT

Reaction score
Survey here,,, If you had limited Capacity in resources and you could.

1. Introduce a Value "Performace" mid-size sedan, at what we know is nearly zero of negative margin.

2. Or pay for the Rampage NA implementation with the additional 4xe powertrain from the Tonale, Hornet, and EU Compass?

If your answer is 1. please put together for me plausible cash flow, ROI, and Implementation strategy that can even get past the first Development Gate. Without mentioning an EU product or EV product....

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Rob, read the Stellantis CFO transcript . Forget Sub-$35,000 in North America. They are moving features to optional to lower low-mid tier package pricing in the buyer eyes but in reality retaining maintaining the pricing.

and it will fail. They need new compact "non-electrified" products. Small fuel efficient ICE engines in small and midsize vehicles will win. The electric thrust forward is dying at an alarming rate, simply do to affordability and convenience

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Survey here,,, If you had limited Capacity in resources and you could.

1. Introduce a Value "Performace" mid-size sedan, at what we know is nearly zero of negative margin.

2. Or pay for the Rampage NA implementation with the additional 4xe powertrain from the Tonale, Hornet, and EU Compass?

If your answer is 1. please put together for me plausible cash flow, ROI, and Implementation strategy that can even get past the first Development Gate. Without mentioning an EU product or EV product....

Problem is the Ram Rampage is a premium vehicle over the Maverick. It would be priced more like a Ranger if it ever got here.

TripleT

Reaction score
Problem is the Ram Rampage is a premium vehicle over the Maverick. It would be priced more like a Ranger if it ever got here.
Mavricks aren't cheap or easy to get. I would admit the SUSW is a nicer platform then the Escape, Bronco sport, and Maverick but not by much.

Users who are viewing this thread