Stellantis North America is recalling 24 units of its 2021 Ram 1500 Classic (DS) pickups due to the fact that the trucks may have been built without a retaining clip securing the master cylinder pushrod, which retains the pushrod to brake pedal. A disconnected master cylinder pushrod results in the driver being unable to apply the service brakes using the brake pedal, which could cause a vehicle crash without any warning, however, the parking brake function is unaffected.
According to the recall, the driver may notice a “buzz”, “squeak” or “rattle” from the brake pedal area resulting from the missing clip.
Stellantis said that “the suspect period began on November 23rd, 2020, when certain operators failed to install the clip and also incorrectly approved the mandatory positive buy-off, through November 24th, 2020, when these operators were removed from these positions”. The vehicles affected by the recall were built on November 20th, 2020 through November 23rd, 2020.
- On January 20th, 2021, the Stellantis Quality group notified the Stellantis North America Vehicle Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“VSRC”) organization of a potential issue related to vehicles that may have been
built without a clip securing the brake pedal to the brake system.
- From January 20th, 2021, through January 27th, 2021, VSRC and Stellantis Engineering, and the assembly plant manufacturing team met to review the issue, the potential safety consequence, and understand the scope of the vehicles potentially affected.
- As of January 27th, 2021, Stellantis North America identified zero customer assistance records, zero warranty claims, and no field reports potentially relating to this issue.
- As of January 27th, 2021, Stellantis North America is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially relating to this issue.
- On January 29th, 2021, Stellantis North America determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Stellantis will conduct a voluntary safety recall to inspect for the brake clip and install a clip if missing. Involved Dealers and vehicle owners are currently being notified of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall was to launch on Monday, February 15th, 2021 (Yesterday). The affected trucks were equipped with non-adjustable pedals (sales code XA8).
Stellantis has issued the recall code Y04 for this recall. Customers are encouraged to call the Stellantis Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403 for any questions. There an agent can confirm if there are any recall repairs that must be performed on your vehicle.