Stellantis has announced a safety recall on certain 2020 and 2021 Ram ProMaster City (VM) vehicles. Some of the vehicles may have a damaged damper membrane within the Antilock Brake System (ABS) module. This may result in the loss of autonomous braking functionalities and a reduction in the braking performance which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.
The suspect period began on August 15th, 2020, when the first vehicle produced for the U.S. market was built with a suspect ABS module and ended on October 6th, 2020, when the last vehicle produced for the market was built with a suspect ABS module. The suspect period was determined using supplier and vehicle production traceability records. Similar vehicles not included in this recall were built before or after the suspect period or are not equipped with a suspect ABS module.
• On February 8th, 2021, Stellantis Italy was informed by the supplier about a potential issue regarding the ABS
• On February 9th, 2021, Stellantis Italy Quality began analyzing assembly production records and supplier
information to determine the scope of vehicles potentially affected.
• As of March 2nd, 2021, Stellantis North America has identified zero customer assistance records, zero warranty
claims, and zero-field reports potentially relating to this issue.
• As of March 2nd, 2021, Stellantis North America is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially relating to this issue.
• On March 2nd, 2021, Stellantis Italy determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Stellantis North America will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ABS module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on April 28th, 2021. Owners may contact Stellantis North America customer service at 1-800-853-1403. The recall number is ‘Y11’. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov
Stellantis North America has a longstanding policy and practice of reimbursing owners who have incurred the cost of repairing a problem that subsequently becomes the subject of field action. To ensure consistency, Stellantis North America, as part of the owner letter, will request that customers send the original receipt and/or other adequate proof of payment to the company for confirmation of the expense.