Even though the current generation Dodge Durango has been on the market for the past decade, it has undergone two major updates to help keep the E-segment SUV towards the forefront of the pack in value, performance, and in technology. With the 2021 Dodge Durango getting its most recent update this year, the Durango continues to offer the most bang for your buck in the segment. But while most people including Dodge would like you to think of the 2021 Dodge Durango as the “Dodge Charger of SUVs”, the Durango can still meet the needs of those looking for a third-row budget-friendly luxury SUV. Enter the Dodge Durango Citadel.
As the luxury trim of the Durango lineup, the 2021 Dodge Durango Citadel delivers many premium features as standard equipment. That equipment includes 20-inch x 8-inch aluminum wheels with a satin carbon finish, platinum chrome door handles and mirrors, and platinum chrome accents on the front and rear fascias highlight the exterior.
Inside, the Citadel follows the Durango R/T’s content, but adds Nappa leather seats with the Dodge rhombi or ‘//‘ embroidered on the backs, ventilated front seats, a wrapped instrument panel (I/P) with accent stitch, Dinamica suede headliner, Crypto Sweep interior accents with laser etching, liquid titanium painted speaker covers, and a 2nd-row console.
But the Citadel doesn’t stop there. In its added features list, it adds a power sunroof, Forward Collision Warning-Plus, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Brake Assist, Lane Departure Warning-Plus, heavy-duty engine oil cooler, Blind Spot/Cross Path Detection, Class IV trailer receiver, an integrated trailer brake controller, rear load-leveling shocks, and full-size spare tire.
When it comes to technology, the all-new 10.1-inch Uconnect 5 infotainment media center is nearly 20% larger and enables processing speeds up to five times faster than the previous generation. The all-new Uconnect 5 system has a Dodge-themed appearance with black and red accents and unique features specific to the new Durango. Highlights include:
- Uconnect 5 system offers more connected services and features for unmatched ease of use
- Enables processing speeds five times faster than previous generation using Android operating system
- Six different user profiles (including valet mode) – each user can build their own profile with feature preferences for their home screen, music, comfort settings, and vehicle operation
- Switching between user profiles is simple and can be handled by a single touch
- Ability to easily swipe between subcategories/screens
- Ability to connect two phones simultaneously with Bluetooth capability, for users who carry multiple phones or for passenger interaction with the Uconnect system along with the driver
- With the current Uconnect skill for Alexa, customers with Alexa-enabled devices at home can easily ask Alexa to start the car, lock/unlock doors, and more:
- Uconnect 5 brings Amazon Alexa directly into the vehicle itself, giving occupants the freedom to interact with Alexa just as they do at home or on a personal device
- Uconnect 5 expands the capabilities of Amazon Alexa virtual assistant for an in-vehicle application
- With Alexa built-in, occupants can ask Alexa to play music, podcasts, and audiobooks; add items to their to-do list; check the news, weather, traffic, sports, and other real-time information; and access tens of thousands of Alexa skills
- Responses and streaming audio are delivered through the Durango’s audio system, allowing anyone in the entire vehicle to easily interact with Alexa
- Occupants have the freedom to make verbal requests just as they do at home or on a personal device
- Easy to personalize home screen allows the user to position high-use functions from their favorite apps together in one simple interface:
- Personalized content includes quick music controls, comfort settings (temperature, seating position, and mirror), vehicle-specific features, phone favorites, recent calls, navigation maps, and more.
Under the hood, the customer can choose from two different engine options. One is the award-winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 rated at 295 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. The Pentastar is mated to an 850RE 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission and is capable of towing up to 6,200 lbs. in both two-wheel-drive (4×2) or all-wheel-drive (AWD) configurations. For those who are looking for more power, the optional 5.7-liter HEMI V8 doesn’t disappoint. The HEMI produces a best-in-class 360 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to an 8HP70 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission. Durango Citadel models with the HEMI V8 are capable of towing 7,400 lbs. in both 4×2 or AWD configurations.
If you think the luxury aspect of the Durango Citadel takes away from the performance, think again. The Durango Citadel comes with the same ‘Sport’ mode found on the GT and R/T models and allows the customer to have increased vehicle performance capability over Auto mode. Sport mode tightens up suspension damping and increased steering gradient feel for improved cornering capability and steering response feedback. In addition, AWD is set to 35/65 distribution for increased performance. Shift speed also increases from Auto mode while electronic stability control (ESC) allows more yaw for spirited driving.
While its not an SRT model, the Pentastar V6-powered Citadel can run a 0 to 60 mph in 7.4 seconds and can complete the 1/4-mile in 15.7 seconds. For Durango Citadel models with the HEMI, are capable of 0 to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds and cutting a full second off of its 1/4-mile with a 14.7 seconds pass. Both powertrains have a top speed electronically limited to 118 mph.
The 2021 Dodge Durango Citadel has a U.S. Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $47,805 for 4×2 and $50,405 for AWD models. That does not include tax, the $1,495 destination charge, or any other fees. For Canada, the Durango Citadel AWD has a starting MSRP of $60,495 plus a $1,895 destination charge.
For those who think the Citadel is out of their price range but like the look, the Durango SXT Plus offers a Anodized Platinum package giving the entry-level a Citadel look.
For more information about the 2021 Dodge Durango Citadel, you can contact your local Dodge dealer for ordering and availability. This particular model is available as of this writing at White Rock Dodge in Surrey, British Columbia.
2021 Dodge Durango Citadel Image Gallery: