For 2019, the Dodge Challenger lineup just got a whole lot better. Besides the SRT HELLCAT Widebody that made the it’s debut last year, Dodge has expended the widebody offerings for 2019. Dodge also has launched the SRT HELLCAT “Redeye”, a baby-Demon if you will that boast an amazing 797-horsepower.
Challenger R/T and GT RWD Models Gain More Performance
The 2019 Challenger R/T and new GT rear-wheel-drive (RWD) models extend their performance capabilities with standard Super Track Pak features, including:
- Performance suspension
- Enhanced steering
- 20-inch Granite Crystal painted wheels
- Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (with automatic transmission)
- Performance hood and front splitter
- Performance bolstered cloth Houndstooth seats
Available on both the Challenger R/T and GT RWD models for 2019 is the Performance Handling Group, which brings enhanced braking and handling capabilities. On GT RWD, the Performance Handling Group features four-piston Brembo brakes (front and rear), wider 20 x 9-inch Black Noise wheels and a larger rear sway bar for improved driving experience and reduced understeer.
The Performance Handling Group on the Challenger R/T adds upgraded springs, sway bars, Bilstein shocks, bushings and mounts, helping to improve performance and response during spirited driving. For the driver looking to get even more out of the Challenger R/T model, the new Performance Plus Package adds track ready 20 x 9.5-inch forged wheels riding on 275/40ZR20 Pirelli P-Zero tires, limited-slip differential and enhanced handling balance for improved cornering performance.
Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack offers new standard hood; Widebody exterior available
The Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack continues to offer the most muscle for the dollar in the segment with 485 horsepower and a starting U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) less than $40,000. Power comes from the proven, naturally aspirated, 392-cubic-inch HEMI V-8 engine’s best-in-class 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque.
New for 2019, all Challenger R/T Scat Pack models get a new look, courtesy of the 2018 Challenger SRT HELLCAT. The power-bulge aluminum hood features a dedicated air intake flanked by dual-air extractors to ensure effective removal of heat and reduced air turbulence in the engine compartment. Standard illuminated Air Catcher headlamps feed additional air directly into the engine bay.
Also new for 2019, R/T Scat Pack buyers can leverage the on-track performance capabilities of the SRT HELLCAT Widebody.
Featuring the same fender flares from SRT HELLCAT Widebody, which add 3.5 inches to the overall width, the new R/T Scat Pack Widebody rides on sticky 305/35ZR20 Pirelli tires mounted to 20 x 11-inch forged “Devil’s Rim” aluminum wheels.
Many high-performance features are now standard on all a Challenger R/T Scat Pack models, including:
- Launch Control
- Launch Assist
- Line Lock
- SRT Drive Modes
- SRT Performance Pages
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody adds:
- SRT-tuned chassis, featuring stiffer front springs, retuned shock absorbers and larger sway bars in both front and rear
- SRT-tuned high-performance adaptive damping suspension
- Front fascia with integrated splitter optimizes airflow to the cooling modules without compromising vehicle balance
- Rear spoiler from the HELLCAT helps to deliver responsive and balanced handling
As a result, the R/T Scat Pack Widebody delivers its best on-road and on-track performance ever, with an improvement of close to 2 seconds per lap or 12 car lengths compared with the R/T Scat Pack. In a quarter-mile comparison, the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody gained .2 seconds – running 12.1 seconds E.T. at 112 mph.
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack’s superb stopping power comes from the SRT-engineered Brembo brake system with six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, resulting in braking (60-0 mph) performance improving to 108 feet (from 111 feet).
Exterior badging on the R/T Scat Pack includes new Scat Pack Bee badges that face forward on both fenders. Challenger script and R/T logos flank both sides of the front grille.
Inside the performance interior are front seats that feature the Scat Pack Bee logo embroidered into the seat backs; new Dark Dub Plate finish on instrument panel and console and new Liquid Titanium accents on the steering wheel, shifter and cluster bezels.
2019 Challenger SRT HELLCAT lineup: more horses, expanded technologies and more features
From 717 to 797 horsepower, Dodge is delivering the most powerful Challenger SRT HELLCAT lineup ever. Both a manual and automatic transmission are available to handle the immense horsepower and torque output.
The Challenger SRT HELLCAT receives a standard Tremec six-speed manual transmission, while the efficient TorqueFlite 8HP90 eight-speed automatic transmission is available.
The Challenger SRT HELLCAT Redeye’s supercharged high-output engine is paired to the TorqueFlite 8HP90 eight-speed automatic transmission. Internal changes to the transmission include an upgraded torque converter that delivers an 18 percent increase in torque multiplication when compared with the standard Challenger SRT HELLCAT.
All 2019 Challenger SRT HELLCAT models are loaded with standard performance features, including:
- Adaptive Damping Suspension — SRT-tuned Bilstein three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension system includes: Auto Mode = sporty but compliant ride; Sport Mode = firm, maximum handling; Track Mode = firm, maximum handling plus performance shifting and gear-holding feature
- Braking system — braking power comes from the standard Brembo brake system with two-piece, 15.4-inch front rotors and six-piston front calipers for outstanding heat management, thermal capacity and longevity
- Electric power steering (EPS) — electric power steering delivers better steering feel and ease of turning efforts at parking lot speeds. It can be calibrated to optimize steering effort for a variety of driving situations via settings in the SRT Performance Pages
- Launch Assist — launched on the Challenger SRT Demon as a factory-production car first, Launch Assist helps resolve one of the biggest challenges to clean launches and driveline integrity – wheel hop, which happens when tires quickly slip and regain traction at launch, rapidly storing up and releasing energy in the driveline. These high torque spikes can quickly and severely damage driveline components, and up until now, the only solution was to back out of the throttle. The 2019 Challenger SRT HELLCAT models use the wheel speed sensors to watch for signs that the tires are slipping/sticking. If hop is detected, the engine control module momentarily reduces torque to maximize traction almost instantly – without the driver having to lift the throttle. Launch Assist reduces loads in the driveline from wheel hop by up to 20 percent
- Torque Reserve — becomes active once the engine speed passes 950 rpm. The system closes the bypass valve, “prefilling” the intake with boost, manages fuel flow to cylinders and manages spark timing to balance engine rpm and torque
- Launch Control — holds the engine at optimal launch RPM and waits for the driver to release the brake. Launch Ccontrol then uses engine torque management to optimize wheel slip for maximum acceleration. All 2019 Challenger models with Launch Control receive an improved system that increases hold time from five to 10 seconds for optimal launch and consistent straight-line acceleration
- Line Lock — engages the front brakes to hold the Challenger stationary but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires. The system will also let the driver perform a controlled rolling burnout and can engage for up to 200 rear wheel revolutions
- Larger induction air box — with three sources of intake air: new dual-snorkel hood, driver-side Air Catcher headlamp and inlet near the wheel liner
- SRT Drive Modes — accessed via the 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen, drivers can tailor their experience by adjusting horsepower, transmission shift speeds, steering effort, paddle shifters, traction and suspension settings. SRT Drive Modes offer selectable settings for Street (Auto), Sport and Track. There is also a Custom setting for the driver to select individual preferences
- SRT Performance Pages — bring critical vehicle performance data to the driver’s fingertips, including a real-time dyno graph, g-force heat map and much more
Also available on Challenger SRT HELLCAT and R/T Scat Pack is the Rear Seat Delete Group, which allows customers to delete the rear seats, rear seat belts and add a rear cargo net.
Race-inspired, high-performance interior
Refocusing the HELLCAT on its performance roots, the 2019 Challenger SRT HELLCAT lineup features standard Houndstooth cloth performance seats.
Three other seat options are available:
- Nappa leather/Alcantara with embroidered SRT HELLCAT logo (available with Plus Package)
- Laguna leather with embossed SRT HELLCAT logo (available with Laguna Leather Package)
- Laguna leather/Alcantara with embossed SRT HELLCAT logo (available with Alcantara Appearance Package)
The SRT HELLCAT interior features a signature leather-wrapped, flat-bottom steering wheel with a backlit SRT logo and paddle shifters. Red gauges with a 200-mph speedometer flank the 7-inch display screen, which features performance timers and a Hellcat logo splash screen at start-up.
Complementing the race-inspired cockpit are silver seat and console stitching, Light Black Chrome accents and a Gunmetal SRT HELLCAT instrument panel badge.
The 2019 Challenger SRT HELLCAT Redeye has several unique interior features, including:
- 220-mph red speedometer
- SRT HELLCAT Redeye logo splash screen
- Light Black Chrome instrument panel badge with SRT HELLCAT Redeye logo
- SRT HELLCAT Redeye logo on the key fobs
Dodge Challenger customers have a wide array of exterior colors and stripes from which they can choose to customize their muscle car. Fourteen different exterior colors and a wide variety of interior trim selections, including:
- B5 Blue
- Destroyer Grey
- F8 Green
- Go Mango
- Granite Crystal
- Indigo Blue
- Maximum Steel
- Octane Red
- Pitch Black
- Plum Crazy
- Triple Nickel (NEW)
- White Knuckle
- Yellow Jacket
Available Interior Colors:
- Black/Ruby Red
- Demonic Red
Ordering begins tomorrow and the 2019 Dodge Challenger models should be arriving in the third-quarter of 2018.