Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) is recalling approximately 97,066 units of its 2022 to 2024 Jeep® Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer (WS) SUVs due to the third-row seat belts. According to the recall, the third-row seat belts may not allow occupants to access or fasten the seat belt to the buckle correctly. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208, “Occupant Crash Protection” and 209, “Seat Belt Assemblies.”
The buckle may be inaccessible or damaged, and the occupant cannot fasten the seat belt. If this warning is not heeded, an unfastened seat belt may increase the risk of injury to occupants during inevitable crashes.
The suspect period began on February 24, 2021, when 2022 model year (MY) vehicle production began, and ended on September 11, 2023, when the vehicle production process was updated. The suspect period was determined using vehicle production records.
Recall Chronology –
- On October 20, 2022, the FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization was notified of a potential issue related to third-row seat belt buckles being damaged or scratched in some 2022 MY Jeep Wagoneer and Jeep Grand Wagoneer vehicles.
- From October 2022, through January 2023, FCA US TSRC analyzed warranty claims, customer records, and vehicle history to identify incidents of third-row seat belt buckles being damaged during assembly. In parallel, FCA US TSRC held initial meetings with FCA US Restraints Engineering and Manufacturing to review the issue, understand the part design, assembly process, and failure mode.
- From January 2023, through June 2023, FCA US TSRC held initial meetings with FCA US Interior Engineering, and ongoing meetings with FCA US Restraints Engineering and Manufacturing to continue to review the issue and understand the potential consequence.
- From June 2023, through September 2023, FCA US TSRC finalized discussions with FCA US Restraints Engineering, Interior Engineering, and Manufacturing and determined the suspect population.
- On September 27, 2023, the FCA US TSRC organization recognized a vehicle build issue existed on certain vehicles related to third-row seat belt buckles being inaccessible or damaged, potentially resulting in a noncompliance with FMVSS No. 208 Occupant Crash Protection and FMVSS No. 209 Seat Belt Assemblies.
- On October 19, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will inspect and replace the third-row seat belt buckle, as necessary, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on December 15, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is A7A.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or www.nhtsa.gov.