Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) has announced a recall of approximately 331,401 units of its two-row 2022 to 2023 Jeep® Grand Cherokee (WL74) and three-row 2021 to 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L (WL75) models. The reason for the recall is that these vehicles may have had their rear coil springs installed incorrectly, which could lead to detachment from the vehicle while driving.
The detachment of rear coil springs while driving poses a hazard not only to the occupants of the affected vehicles but also to other drivers and vulnerable road users. It can potentially cause accidents without prior warning and may result in injuries.
Recall Chronology –
- On March 3rd, 2023, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened an investigation as a result of a report on a 2023 MY Jeep Grand Cherokee alleging a rear coil spring falling off while driving.
- From March 3rd, 2023, through May 17th, 2023, FCA US TSRC reviewed claims of rear coil springs falling off vehicles, met with engineering and vehicle manufacturing to understand the part design and assembly process and review part and vehicle measurement data.
- As of May 25th, 2023, FCA US is aware of two customer assistance records, 17 warranty claims, and two field reports potentially related to this issue for all markets, with dates of receipt ranging from April 5th, 2022, through May 4th, 2023.
- As of May 25th, 2023, FCA US is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially related to this issue for all markets.
- On June 1st, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
FCA US has a longstanding policy of reimbursing owners who have already incurred the cost of repairing a problem that later becomes the subject of a recall. To ensure consistency, FCA US will request that customers provide the original receipt and/or other adequate proof of payment for verification.
Dealers will inspect the rear coil spring assemblies and repair them if necessary at no charge to the owners. Owner notification letters are scheduled to be mailed on July 28th, 2023. For more information, owners can contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. The recall number for this issue is 64A.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or go to www.nhtsa.gov.