The popular three-row Dodge Durango (WD) returns for another model year and continues to demonstrate its proven performance with a combination of uncompromised utility, technology, class-leading towing capability, driving dynamics, and head turning good looks. It also marks the return of the SUV performance icon: the Dodge Durango SRT HELLCAT.
It’s been almost three months, since we broke the story that Dodge would be offering three different variants of the Durango SRT HELLCAT for 2023. At the time, we briefly touched on the options, pricing, and color options for the 710 horsepower monster. But for those who were interested in configurating their own high-performance SUV, Dodge continued to not update its website for the 2023 model year.
But we are happy to report, that has now changed. Dodge has updated its website and Build & Price configurator to include the entire lineup of 2023 Dodge Durango models ranging from the modest SXT model to the luxury high-performance SRT HELLCAT Premium model.
SRT HELLCAT (starting at $91,185) –
The 2023 Dodge Durango SRT HELLCAT loses nothing in its rebirth and is once again fueled by the supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® HELLCAT V8 producing 710 horsepower and 645 lb.-ft. of torque. Durango SRT HELLCAT has the numbers to back up its performance claims as it can dash from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and run the 1/4-mile in 11.5 as certified by the NHRA, as well as reach a top speed of 180 mph.
As with the 2021 model, key engine performance features and components include:
- Dedicated cooling circuit for the charge air coolers integrated in the supercharger housing, including a pump, coolant reservoir and heat exchanger, designed to keep air flowing into the engine cooler than 140°F
- Twin-screw rotors in the supercharger set close to minimize air leakage and ensure maximum performance
- Integrated electronic bypass valve regulates boost pressure to a maximum of 11.6 psi (80 kPa); the 2.38-liter supercharger uses a drive ratio of 2.36:1 and has a maximum speed of 14,600 rpm
- Cast-iron engine block with water jackets between the cylinders for optimal cooling
- Forged-steel crankshaft with induction-hardened bearing surfaces
- Specially tuned crankshaft damper, burst tested to 13,000 rpm
- High-strength, forged-alloy pistons
- Powder-forged connecting rods with high-load-capacity bushings and diamond-like, carbon-coated piston pins
- Piston-cooling oil jets
- Heat-treated aluminum-alloy cylinder heads
- Sodium-cooled exhaust valves, hollow-stem intake valves and steel-alloy heads that stand up to temperatures as high as 1,652°F (900°C)
- Cold-air scoop in lower front fascia helps feed the supercharger and the Hellcat engine’s 92-mm throttle body
- Exhaust system tuned to deliver a throaty Dodge DNA sound
- TorqueFlite 8HP95 eight-speed automatic transmission includes steering-wheel-mounted paddles for manual-style shifting and has seven available Drive modes – Auto, Sport, Track, Snow, Tow, Eco, and Valet.
Enthusiasts will have more options to personalize the 2023 Dodge Durango SRT HELLCAT with available Plus and Premium packages that deliver even more content. SRT HELLCAT Plus models add Laguna leather seats, Trailer-Tow Group, a power sunroof, and adaptive and advanced safety features. Premium models add to the Plus with Red seatbelts, a leather-wrappped instrument panel, carbon fiber accents, and a 19-speed Harman Kardon® sound system.
SRT392 (starting at $70,295) –
For those who are seeking performance, but find the SRT HELLCAT out of their price range, the SRT392 might be right up your alley.
The 2023 Dodge Durango SRT392 features all of the same looks and features at the HELLCAT model, but swaps out the HEMI HELLCAT engine for a 6.4-liter (392 cubic-inch) HEMI SRT V8. The motor delivers 475 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque, 4.4-second 0 to 60 mph acceleration, NHRA-certified 12.9-second quarter-mile and best-in-class towing capability of 8,700 lbs.
All SRT models have additional unique appearance features and Easter eggs, including:
- Unique SRT “Smoke Show” start-up animation
- Climate control page features Dodge stripe adjustable climate control icon and “Mode person” with race helmet
- Unique Serpentine font used throughout the Durango display system
- Vehicle icon on the home page “category bar” features Durango graphic with SRT logo
- SRT Performance Pages (standard on R/T, SRT 392 and SRT HELLCAT) provide information on vehicle performance, including timers, G-force, gauges, engine and dyno readouts
- Configurable Drive Modes provide more vehicle control
- Race Options allow the driver to activate, deactivate and adjust the rpm values for Launch Control and Shift Light features
R/T HEMI Orange (starting at $53,590) –
Introduced in 2022, the Durango R/T HEMI Orange appearance package continues to be available for 2023. It bring orange cues inspired by the original color of the legendary 426 HEMI engine and highlights the Durango R/T with Orange and Gunmetal hoodstripes, Midnight Grey and Orange badging, Satin Black taillights, and 20-inch Black Noise wheels.
Inside, Orange stitching inside embellishes all seats, including the SRT front seats and second-row captain’s chairs. Seatbacks are embroidered with monochromatic Dodge Rhombi (“//”) logos and continues the Orange theme with stitching on the steering wheel, armrest, doors, and more.
For those looking for more, the HEMI Orange Plus and HEMI Orange Tow N’ Go packages offer optional content, including 20-inch “Lights Out” wheels and Orange Brembo® brake calipers on the HEMI Orange Tow N’ Go.
All HEMI Orange models are powered by the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 delivering a best-in-class 360 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque.
Citadel (starting at $52,495) –
The 2023 Dodge Durango Citadel is the all-in luxury trim for the Durango and delivers many premium features as standard equipment.
Two powertrains options are available. The award-winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine is rated at 295 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque and is standard. The 5.7-liter HEMI V8 is optional. The Durango’s Trailer-Tow Group IV package is standard on every Citadel and comes with an integrated trailer brake switch, heavy-duty engine oil cooler, Class IV hitch receiver, rear load-leveling shocks and full-size spare tire with the Class IV trailer receiver and integrated brake controller.
All Citadel models come with unique cues and accents, including:
- Platinum chrome accents on door handles and mirror caps
- 20-inch x 8-inch Satin Carbon wheels
- Dual rear exhaust with bright chrome tips
With room for up to 6 passengers, the Citadel features heated and ventilated Nappa leather front and passenger seats. The seats feature the Rhombi logo embossed into the seatbacks and the second-row captain’s chairs are also heated. A 10.1-inch Uconnect 5 touchscreen comes standard with TomTom navigation, SiriusXM radio, and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
A full suite of safety features are also included on the Citadel, which include Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop, Forward Collision Warning with Active Braking, Advanced Brake Assist, LaneSense Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist.