Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Can't Stellantis Build A Next-Gen HEMI® Engine?

In the rapidly evolving landscape of automotive technology, the debate over the future of internal combustion engines rages on. While many automakers are pivoting towards electric vehicles (EVs), stalwarts like General Motors (GM) and Ford are reaffirming their commitment to the classic V8 engine. This raises an intriguing question: why isn’t Stellantis, the parent company … (read full article...)

tempImageD2CdPb.png

Last edited by a moderator:

James.A

Reaction score
WHy wont the Hurricane 6 make the HD? It already makes more Torque. It just needs tuned to make it at a lower RPM which can happen with adjustments to when it makes boost.
It just needs to be a completely different motor is what you mean. It has done nothing but be an expensive disappointment thus far. Much like the company that made it.

TripleT

Reaction score
That is the plan and the rest of the country everything else. Are you still specifically complaining about obsolesces of the Hemi? That has an escalating fine from the EPA and will be none compliant in the coming years. To maintain a V8 it will need a ground up. Comparison the BMW and Porsche is a bit off seeing that they are low volume and high margin.

Mopar392

Reaction score
You need to update the V8 and HEMI from the ground up, so what?
The engine is almost 2 decades old.
GM families of LS or LT engines even though they have been in production for a long time, but they have beef continuously improved.
The same goes for Ford Modular engines.

TripleT

Reaction score
Hurricane outperforms the Coyote, Modular engines are questionable on durability, Ford sells a crap load of 4 cylinder turbos, is one brand and can make a few V8s.

Why are we talking about GM who have pledged full EV...

We are back to circle where we just want a NEW "Hemi" even though every one loves the old Hemi... Except the FED. Why want a new Hemi so it has 2 extra heads and 2 extra cylinders and louder... but wouldn't be louder if it was a Turbo which it would have to be to even be in the same ballpark as Hurricane. But would it take the same boost levels with the V configuration and added vibration. NO....

So would it be more powerful and have the same potential as the Hurricane....... Maybe... Maybe not. actually likely not.

Why spend the money... because there is a retro love affair with configuration going back to the Ford when straight engines of the day kick the Ford rear, but weren't in mass market cars.

Now we have mass market high tech high boost straight engine, but it getting no love cuz it is not a V8..... so much effort to discount this new beast we get because near as I can Tell it is NEW.

TripleT

Reaction score
You need to update the V8 and HEMI from the ground up, so what?
The engine is almost 2 decades old.
GM families of LS or LT engines even though they have been in production for a long time, but they have beef continuously improved.
The same goes for Ford Modular engines.

Lets Try a True or false .....

Could FCA(still the corporate parent of NA) make low volume Aluminum version of Hemi motor with Plasma coated cylinders? True.

It would outperform the Hurricane. False it would not and still have compliance issues.

Could with help from a corporate cousin build a modern low volume DI OHC 4 literish V8? True even today with some existing or recently discontinued powerplants.

Would this engine outperform the Hurricane? Maybe but likely it wouldn't so leaning False

IF they planned to do this then they should announce it right in the Middle of the Last Call Campaign. FALSE

Any of these options outperform the EV or Hurricane with ZF hybrid transmission? FALSE

AGAIN while asking insane margins on Last Call cars should they even give a hint, when they won't even talk about the Hurricane a possible V8? False

The Falses kind of win the payback ..... there would need to be compelling case made around tradition and exhaust note. Most potent Mopar ever sounded like an imbalanced Tractor.

MPE426HEMI

Reaction score
Staleantics are going to be left withering in the dirt! More bad decisions by an already bad company.
Good riddance!

TripleT

Reaction score
Staleantics are going to be left withering in the dirt! More bad decisions by an already bad company.
Good riddance!
They have hardly touched NA.... FCA is still making or carrying out plans that predate the merger. The primary focus in EU where is it is consolidating platform under less platforms which most of the Iaccoca fans should love. They making dozens of cars from different brand with just Coach work, which I kind of hate. But given most of the drivetrains in EU future is just Samsung, LG, and MM. So welcome to the world of appliances.

Reaction score
In the rapidly evolving landscape of automotive technology, the debate over the future of internal combustion engines rages on. While many automakers are pivoting towards electric vehicles (EVs), stalwarts like General Motors (GM) and Ford are reaffirming their commitment to the classic V8 engine. This raises an intriguing question: why isn’t Stellantis, the parent company … (read full article...)

View attachment 8709
I don't want no ev junk. I want a REAL car. Enough of the government and nwo FORCING this onto us and taking away our choice. It is all a scam to battle an issue like climate control by duping people into thinking we cause it when it is a NATURAL EVOLUTION OF THE PLANET, to control the people. One of the MANY ways the nwo and democrats/liberals etc are fulfilling prophecy. Give me smoking V8 to smoke the tires in and p-off the green freaks as they watch me do it! :)

hotrodbob01

Reaction score

View attachment 8709
Stellantis is a group of companies that failed in the USA with poor products or products this market didn't want. What makes anyone think their corporate mentality has changed?

BWS

Reaction score
Using agricultural production for the creation of readily available natural carbon fuels has questionable morality on my estimation. Places where people like on less than a $1 day even month this disruption in the food supply and cost structure can be devastating like death devastating. It really all about control, false scarcity it just another market control.

Trace gases that we cannot have any measurable change in a climate controlled by massive natural inputs. Like the sun, rotation of the earth, magnetics, cosmic radiation, natural emissions, Water Vapor...... Nazca people.... drawing lines in the desert like ants.... It all about keeping people busy and a sense of control. We control none of the major inputs and we would mess it up if we tried.

Real problem is politicians making Engineering decisions when it should be the market and Engineers.
I don’t always agree with you but man you are dead on with this statement.👍👍

Mopar392

Reaction score
Lets Try a True or false .....

Could FCA(still the corporate parent of NA) make low volume Aluminum version of Hemi motor with Plasma coated cylinders? True.

It would outperform the Hurricane. False it would not and still have compliance issues.

Could with help from a corporate cousin build a modern low volume DI OHC 4 literish V8? True even today with some existing or recently discontinued powerplants.

Would this engine outperform the Hurricane? Maybe but likely it wouldn't so leaning False

IF they planned to do this then they should announce it right in the Middle of the Last Call Campaign. FALSE

Any of these options outperform the EV or Hurricane with ZF hybrid transmission? FALSE

AGAIN while asking insane margins on Last Call cars should they even give a hint, when they won't even talk about the Hurricane a possible V8? False

The Falses kind of win the payback ..... there would need to be compelling case made around tradition and exhaust note. Most potent Mopar ever sounded like an imbalanced Tractor.

The era of ICE V8 only almost doesn't make any sense with the current technology.
Adding some sort of electrical assistance, not only can improve the performance of a natural aspirated V8 but also improve efficiency.
NA FCA has the 4Xe tech in house, and adapting it to complement a newly or improved design HEMI V8 or even a current production GME 4 cylinder based V8, would take time and money but should also keep both V8 loyalist and the Feds happy.

Beside the greenies and hippies, not everyone wants an automated EV vehicle for different reasons. The Hurricane-I6 is less than a couple of years old so we don't know how durable it's. We all know a thing or 2 about what sucks in the current HEMI v8 design, but we also knew one or 2 solutions for it.

TripleT

Reaction score
The era of ICE V8 only almost doesn't make any sense with the current technology.
Adding some sort of electrical assistance, not only can improve the performance of a natural aspirated V8 but also improve efficiency.
NA FCA has the 4Xe tech in house, and adapting it to complement a newly or improved design HEMI V8 or even a current production GME 4 cylinder based V8, would take time and money but should also keep both V8 loyalist and the Feds happy.

Beside the greenies and hippies, not everyone wants an automated EV vehicle for different reasons. The Hurricane-I6 is less than a couple of years old so we don't know how durable it's. We all know a thing or 2 about what sucks in the current HEMI v8 design, but we also knew one or 2 solutions for it.
They know the durability of Hurricane. Leaked comments from people who shouldn't is it's a beast. Makes sense less complicated and more room to secure the head instead of Heads. Traditionally that configuration because of this and the smoother firing has been the most durable configuration. Is it possible that there would be age related issues unforeseen but as for mileage durability it is known.

A naturally aspirated V8 displacement say if we keep that same displacement per cylinder is 4 liters so with MDS between 2 and 4 liters of air to ignite. The Hurricane make now (and we know it can hold more) between 3 liters and 8.5 liters. So there is the math problem. Even with say a 6 liter your still not caught up.

So again as a fan of V8 also I get caught up in the math, where I find it hard to justify since it in all reasonable and logical takes it will be less potent.

It becomes just marketing at that point HEMI V8... does that overcome it being slower? Maybe for some but not for me.

You and I know that if you put Hemi V8 on the Plastic cover 99% of the buying public would not know the difference.

I asked a Wagoneer owner if the liked the I6 over the V8... they were lost..... they "well I like that it is so fast."

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Both GM and Ford are both American based companies that do cater to V8 engines, Stellantis is a Euro company that focuses on small displacement engines. Europe has different emissions standards that the US so quite naturally they're geared to having to work with small displacement powertrains that are super strict on emissions, Even their V8s are sub-five liter with twin turbos on them and things like that. Not saying that it's the way they're going to go but Stellantis has a much different approach to vehicles than what we are used to in the US. Could they drop in a few small displacement twin turbo DOHC V8 engines with either 4.7L or 5.2L of displacement and slap a hybrid system on it that might be more emissions friendly? Sure. Will they? Probably not. Could the 3.0L Be an entry into the new direction they're going and we may yet see a 3.6 or even a 3.8L I-6 twin turbo enter the fray in a few years with a hybrid system behind it? Possibly. I mean lets be real, if the 3.0L Cat-3 can put out 550hp/531tq, what could an engine with that same setup do with almost an extra liter of displacement and a hybrid system behind it? That's easily 700+hp stock with a potential for way more, especially if the Hurricane CAT-X is targeted over 1000hp with 3.0L of Displacement. If they can tune this thing to sound good then this isn't going to be bad at all. I had the opportunity to hear what the Hurricane engine sounds like in a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It's a pretty deep note at low RPMs. It's no Hemi, but not horrible. I genuinely feel the new powertrain has potential, even if it will never sound like a pushrod V8. As far as the trucks go an inline-6 would definitely out torque a V8 which is why alot of work trucks through the years have had inline-6 engines. However, displacement would be what I would focus on with a truck engine and a strong block. Honestly a cast iron block I-6 with 4.4L of displacement, twin turbos and a hybrid system would be more than enough to be comfortable in a 1500-series pickup truck. Kicking up to a 5.7L Inline-6 twin turbo diesel hybrid system for the 2500 and up class pickup. With today's technology this would be more than adequate levels of power for just about anything the average person could throw at it. I'd love a new V8 option for the next gen cars, but the truth is Stellantis might be going in a better direction with what they're doing with the hurricane powertrains

TripleT

Reaction score
Couple things FORD and GM are very much International Companies despite where they are incorporated.

Ford sells and makes so many turbo engines that a few V8 at high margins wont hurt them.

GM is so committed to making EVs they are selling them as Hondas.

CATX is 1500 CAT??? running around at 1000hp

1500 doesnt need a cast iron block. Not sure that the HD does if durablity is what they say it is with the new Plasma coated cylinder walls.

WHY doesn't Cummin replace the I6 in the HD with V8 if V8s are so much better and requirement. Because it isn't FORD and GM have constant durability issues with their V8 HD engines.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I have been driving the new Hurricane I6 in Wagoneers and didn't catch on to that fact until I opened the hood and saw it. I haven't driven one on the open road yet, so I can't give an evaluation just yet. I don't know why they had to take this giant leap backwords and use a clunky start/stop instead of the BSG like the Hemis use.

One of the reasons FCA went to an inline design for their new six is packaging, specifically for the placement of 48V components such as the BSG and e-chargers.(an e-charger is an electrically driven supercharger. (It is not to be confused with electric turbos which use exhaust gases to run a generator for electric power.) I'm puzzled why they don''t use 48V with the Hurricane. Another reason for an inline design is down speeding, which is an attempt to lower the practical RPM which an ICE may operate.

The commercial vehicle market is drifting towards alternative fuels and electrification for medium duty trucks. Is there a hybrid version of the Hurricane in the works?

vbondjr1

Reaction score
Couple things FORD and GM are very much International Companies despite where they are incorporated.

Ford sells and makes so many turbo engines that a few V8 at high margins wont hurt them.

GM is so committed to making EVs they are selling them as Hondas.

CATX is 1500 CAT??? running around at 1000hp

1500 doesnt need a cast iron block. Not sure that the HD does if durablity is what they say it is with the new Plasma coated cylinder walls.

WHY doesn't Cummin replace the I6 in the HD with V8 if V8s are so much better and requirement. Because it isn't FORD and GM have constant durability issues with their V8 HD engines.

Definitely made that point before about Ford selling more ecoboost models so the v8 production is safe. My point was more less that while v8s are cool, the hurricane might be a better direction for the brand as it would give both performance and efficiency and there's a potential that they could even go with larger displacement versions of the Hurricane powertrain and couple them with hybrid powertrains for even more. As far as diesel, I was talking about the 5.7L I-6 Turbo Cummins from back in the day updated with more tech and more EPA friendly so to speak. IDK at this point its all hopes dreams and what ifs.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Why not bring back the Banshee 7.0l HEMI from the burner, and keep it for Scat Pack models coupled to 4Xe like system?
The EV models most likely can offset the pure ICE models.

TripleT

Reaction score
Why not bring back the Banshee 7.0l HEMI from the burner, and keep it for Scat Pack models coupled to 4Xe like system?
The EV models most likely can offset the pure ICE models.
They couldn't certify it.... Make it crate engine make sure it will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread