Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop lying - Warren Truck shutdown is not chip related

cygnus

Reaction score
Gee, let’s eliminate a shift for the only plant that makes our highest margin product, the press will be glad to parrot back the excuse we gave them.

STOP LYING. YOU’RE SELLING A $100K TRUCK WITHOUT A V8?!? YOU DESERVE TO LOSE BUSINESS. OH WAIT, YOU ARE LOSING BUSINESS/NOT HITTING TARGETS? CONGRATS!

DID THE FRENCH EXECUTIVE THAT MADE THE POWERTRAIN DECISION LOSE THEIR JOB? THEY SHOULD HAVE!!!

Last edited:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Why do you think the volume that wagoneer's sell require 3 shifts of production?

Classic is winding down to end in 2023, correct? Warren doesn't have the volume to justify 3 shifts.

Wagoneers and Grand Wagoneers are offered with a V8. Please go out and buy one or a few thousand to justify bringing that 3rd shift back!

cygnus

Reaction score
Wasn't the point of the Wagoneer program to steal marketshare from GM and make enough of a profit so that the program justifies its own existence for future investment? If so, yes - three shifts is absolutely required. Especially if they're going to build the EV variant (stupid). General Motors Arlington runs on three shifts.

Or is a program not worth running unless you're robbing Customers blind?

With this French company, it's hard to tell.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
For the 1st year of an non-complete offering, wagoneer's sales aren't that bad.

cygnus

Reaction score
For the 1st year of an non-complete offering, wagoneer's sales aren't that bad.

Let's see what impact not having a 3rd shift and a lack of a V8 for the S2 & S3 does to sales.

AlexB

Reaction score
Wasn't the point of the Wagoneer program to steal marketshare from GM and make enough of a profit so that the program justifies its own existence for future investment? If so, yes - three shifts is absolutely required. Especially if they're going to build the EV variant (stupid). General Motors Arlington runs on three shifts.

Or is a program not worth running unless you're robbing Customers blind?

With this French company, it's hard to tell.
Program isn’t Tahoe/Suburban target given price .

Ala

Reaction score
Durango version of the Wagoneer, with lower price target, is needed for volume. What’s the holdup?

Is the new electric Ram planned to replace the Classic here?

AlexB

Reaction score
Durango version of the Wagoneer, with lower price target, is needed for volume. What’s the holdup?

Is the new electric Ram planned to replace the Classic here?
Stellantis is playing hard ball with UAW.
Rumor is current Durango product continues until July 2025.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
Wagoneer shift just got cut too..lol

T IS coming back, will be made public late November and he will win. How? With 4 words "I already did it" economy, illegal immigration, jobs, posperity, housing - campaign will be run on out of control inflation. Biden will not run again, too old and did too bad. They are going to run Hillary again. T will beat her even worse. (straight from his campaign managers mouth). Same guy got Bill elected a few times, wrote a book "the return" - current best seller! (and wrote the book on T winning in 2016)

Last edited:

ShawnP

Reaction score
I thought the electric Rams/full hybrids would go to Warren Truck (WTAP) Now I'm in doubt about that.

I still saying taking whole shifts from Warren Truck to help Sterling Heights has put WTAP behind in quality.

2023 UAW negotiations will be fun.

Let's start the product games.

patfromigh

Reaction score
This is all a flashback to 1974. The muscle cars were limping into oblivion, and the old Chrysler Corporation introduced a new line of large full size cars while gas prices were jumping. I forget what the body code was for the 1974-78 full size cars was. (Does anybody else remember the WIN buttons?) The Grand Wagoneer is what the the 1974 Imperial was. The corporate top luxury item at a time when people no longer want such items. The Imperial name was short lived after this and that large sedan became a rebadged Chrysler New Yorker. As I write this, it is reported that the luxury vehicle market is tanking. Sales in all segments are slowing, but the vehicle sales of those with over six figure price tags are dropping the most in percentage. It will be interesting to see how those last call specially trimmed Chargers and Challengers sell. Will they be like the 1970 Superbirds and AAR Cudas still on the Plymouth dealer lots in the summer of 1971? The Hellcat equipped cars aren't cheap and it is the higher paid workers facing the layoffs. Toys are not a necessity. The 392 equipped vehicles might fair a little better, but the dealers are suddenly waking up to a harsh market reality.

I don't think the six cylinder is what is hindering Wagoneer sales. The Lincoln SUVs have six cylinders and still carry some prestige. On the other hand, the start/stop setups are a huge step backwards from the BSG system in driving smoothness. I have driven a lot of Wagoneers, all of them presently in our fleet are 5.7 Hemi with eTorque. I haven't driven a Hurricane yet, so I don't know if the start/stop is as bad as everything else with that setup.

AlexB

Reaction score
I thought the electric Rams/full hybrids would go to Warren Truck (WTAP) Now I'm in doubt about that.

I still saying taking whole shifts from Warren Truck to help Sterling Heights has put WTAP behind in quality.

2023 UAW negotiations will be fun.

Let's start the product games.
Also
Warren + Belvidere as bargaining chips together with Absenteeism rate (among all the Stellantis UAW plants) to push back against demands of higher compensation (wages and benefits).
On top of all , Stellantis wants to retain the Bankruptcy concessions especially in the language of the contract itself(examples: work-rules, ability to hire & fire,contracting 3rd parties vendors,temporary hires, overtime, scheduling,etc,etc,etc) .

cygnus

Reaction score
GM sells Tahoes and Suburbans (and variants) exclusively with a V8, and they've deflected off a half-hearted effort from Ford for years. GM decides to offer an even higher performance V8, and is selling every Escalade V they can build.

Meanwhile - French Stellantis decides to take a crack at it, completely misreads what consumers want in this segment (GM's success here for 30 years now apparently isn't enough of a clue), and a year into it, cuts a shift.

Be sure to congratulate French management for their wonderful achievement.

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
GM sells Tahoes and Suburbans (and variants) exclusively with a V8, and they've deflected off a half-hearted effort from Ford for years. GM decides to offer an even higher performance V8, and is selling every Escalade V they can build.

Meanwhile - French Stellantis decides to take a crack at it, completely misreads what consumers want in this segment (GM's success here for 30 years now apparently isn't enough of a clue), and a year into it, cuts a shift.

Be sure to congratulate French management for their wonderful achievement.
Again, Tahoes and Suburbans are not the targets for Wagonneer.
The vehicle planning including the I6 where done under Sergio, Mike Manley (JEEP President later FCA CEO) with the blessing of John Elkann.

cygnus

Reaction score
Making the I6 the primary engine is a Product Planning choice that was decided only recently by French executives.

And anyone who thinks the Wagoneer isn't competing with the Tahoe and Suburban is delusional. Do these people talk to buyers? Obviously not. And I'm not talking running clinics - just go walk around a few suburban subdivisions in the Midwest and talk to people that have one on their driveway.

These are the same people who came up with "Wagoneer's 10 Customer Promises" - Wagoneer 10 customer promis is empty

Eight billion in profit and you can't front some proper loaners to a dealership.

Again, delusional thinking.

I don't know why people keep defending Product Planning decisions that led to a situation where the single plant that builds the vehicle cuts a shift for the most profitable vehicle in the Jeep portfolio. It's like some weird stockholm syndrome - "I'll defend this because technically my response was correct, in a very obtuse manner that is completely irrelevant, and antithetical to this company's well being."

Last edited:

AlexB

Reaction score
Making the I6 the primary engine is a Product Planning choice that was decided only recently by French executives.

And anyone who thinks the Wagoneer isn't competing with the Tahoe and Suburban is delusional. Do these people talk to buyers? Obviously not. And I'm not talking running clinics - just go walk around a few suburban subdivisions in the Midwest and talk to people that have one on their driveway.

These are the same people who came up with "Wagoneer's 10 Customer Promises" - Wagoneer 10 customer promis is empty

Eight billion in profit and you can't front some proper loaners to a dealership.

I don't know why people keep defending Product Planning decisions that led to a situation where the single plant that builds the vehicle cuts a shift for the most profitable vehicle in the Jeep portfolio. It's like some weird stockholm syndrome - "I'll defend this because technically my response was correct, in a very obtuse manner that is completely irrelevant, and antithetical to this company's well being."

“Palmer stated the Wagoneer lineup hasn't fully launch as the company has prioritized higher levels of the Grand Wagoneer. Palmer mention there are areas of the segment (Full-Size SUV) in which Stellantis isn't participating in but are highly profitable, and highly important to volume but is satisfied with the rollout so far given the ''very high prices points' and the positioning.

AlexB

Reaction score

I find it hilarious you think you know better about “company's well being” than the guy that owns 14% of said Company, as well the second highest paid executive.

cygnus

Reaction score
Yeah, the share price and upcoming product portfolio is really lighting the world on fire.

Go find a English dictionary and look up the word sychophant - every current US executive is a viceroy to the French “leadership”. Anyone who disagrees was let go.

We have our first results of their decision making - shift cut at WTAP.

Lets see how LB and LF sales go, this should be great.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
I find it hilarious you think you know better about “company's well being” than the guy that owns 14% of said Company, as well the second highest paid executive.
The French know nothing about the US auto industry, they tried to sell Renaults here that fell apart before 25,000 miles and put square headlights in Jeeps. If they are making the high up decisions then we are in trouble. Killing the V8 charger/challenger would be so typical of them

AlexB

Reaction score
The French know nothing about the US auto industry, they tried to sell Renaults here that fell apart before 25,000 miles and put square headlights in Jeeps. If they are making the high up decisions then we are in trouble. Killing the V8 charger/challenger would be so typical of them
Thank you for be boneheaded enough to think New York is a part of France, (yet along you mention the wrong French company during the time Carlos had nothing to do with).
It is truly hilarious!
If you want to want & rave about Carlos, critique him running Nissan & Infiniti North America (until 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread