Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Cars Make Up Half Of The Top 10 Slowest Selling List In March

Over the past several months, Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) dealers have been struggling to get rid of existing inventory—so much so that many dealers are turning allocations from FCA US away. Many factors surround the current predicament: high prices, high-interest rates, inflation, dealer markups, and terrible rebates and financing compared to its competitors. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, and Ram (CDJR) dealers can’t sell vehicles. The most recent data from CarEdge.com shows that FCA US product covers half of the top 10 slowest-selling vehicles in the U.S. for March 2024. Make Model Average Selling Price Market Day Supply Total For Sale BMW … (read full article...)

tempImageNWioSg.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JOJO_123_321

Reaction score
$40K FOR A COMPACT "DOMESTIC" SUV??? AND WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE SURPRISED THAT NOBODY WANTS A HORNET??? That's to say nothing about the fact that it's a non-luxury brand, or the fact that most folks also know it's a rebadged alfa/fiat... aka reliability problems... talk about misreading the buyers!

BWS1

Reaction score
Much more worrisome is fact the rest of the list are low volume boutique models.can’t believe they are going to give the 2500 a warm over on the same old chassis. Dealers will soon be looking for a good avenue out.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I think what is hurting the Ram 2500 is the mandatory option packages. Over Two Grand extra for cloth seats is insane.

AlexB

Reaction score
Over the past several months, Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) dealers have been struggling to get rid of existing inventory—so much so that many dealers are turning allocations from FCA US away. Many factors surround the current predicament: high prices, high-interest rates, inflation, dealer markups, and terrible rebates and financing compared to its competitors. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, and Ram (CDJR) dealers can’t sell vehicles. The most recent data from CarEdge.com shows that FCA US product covers half of the top 10 slowest-selling vehicles in the U.S. for March 2024. Make Model Average Selling Price Market Day Supply Total For Sale BMW … (read full article...)
"Terrible rebates"
That's a good thing
Charger won't be fully lunched until Q4 2025.
@redriderbob, @TripleT Large outgoing Charger inventory is needed to get through the American summer driving season.

MoparRay

Reaction score
Stellantis needs new US management that understands the American market. Dodge needs to cut the price of the Hornet by at least by $10K then either keep at that price or discontinue it.

cgseller

Reaction score
300/Charger build-up skews the data a little. This data would be more valuable with previous sales rate data and build-rate data to see the full picture.
No fault to @redriderbob by any means, he posted data. Armchair analysis and perspectives of the data should factor that in.

With all of that said, it does seem that there are some alignment problems with some vehicles. When you only have a handful in your portfolio, a miss (bound to happen) is harder to handle which leads to more care in positioning and planning the vehicle which can lead to a larger lead time and miss bring value to consumers and also painful loss of sales.

Product ownership/management is not easy. It is a job where you will likely always make 50% of the people pissed off, and even more so in our politically charged and drama-queen hungry culture of late (dun dunt) :)

AlexB

Reaction score
Stellantis needs new US management that understands the American market. Dodge needs to cut the price of the Hornet by at least by $10K then either keep at that price or discontinue it.
Actually neither.
Hornet job is to fill up capacity in Italy. The Chairman(most powerful investor,too),not the CEO is the approval of vehicle planning...biggest source of capital of the company.

TripleT

Reaction score
"Terrible rebates"
That's a good thing
Charger won't be fully lunched until Q4 2025.
@redriderbob, @TripleT Large outgoing Charger inventory is needed to get through the American summer driving season.
yeah got to strech that out.
There isn't $10K of margin. Leave that market to Kia. My question is WHY either is sells or it doesn't. I can tell you for PHEV its not a lot. It fill in a void in the lineup for now. Volume game is for commodities.

ipa0628

Reaction score
The Grand Wagonner is an obvious overpriced failure. 11 months supply at current selling rates. The money spent on bringing it and the Wagoner to market would have been better spent on a Journey replacement, making the Hemi more emission friendly, a Durango revamp, and a more fuel efficient 4 cylinder.
It wouldn't surprise me that having Hurricane as the only power train is hurting sales too. GM's doesn't seem to have any trouble moving their full size SUV's.
Once the initial surge of '25 Ram gotta have it first buyers are satisfied, I think Ram sales will take a hit too.

TripleT

Reaction score
how many Journeys at zero margins do you have to sale to equal one overpriced Wagoneers. Trick question it's an irrational equation.

The more emission friendly hemi is called Hurricane.

More efficient 4 cylinders already exist in the line up.

ipa0628

Reaction score
how many Journeys at zero margins do you have to sale to equal one overpriced Wagoneers. Trick question it's an irrational equation.

The more emission friendly hemi is called Hurricane.

More efficient 4 cylinders already exist in the line up.
I don't call the engine in the Compass fuel efficient. The lineup for Dodge and Chrysler is very sparse. Everything has been Jeep, Jeep, Jeep. Look how that is turning out.
Plain and simple, the Hurricane is not a V8, and a lot of buyers want that. The sales may prove me wrong. I think not.
I see 15% off in 6 months on the Rams . GW needs that now.

AlexB

Reaction score
I don't call the engine in the Compass fuel efficient. The lineup for Dodge and Chrysler is very sparse. Everything has been Jeep, Jeep, Jeep. Look how that is turning out.
Plain and simple, the Hurricane is not a V8, and a lot of buyers want that. The sales may prove me wrong. I think not.
"Look how that is turning out"
The most profitable Automaker in North America.... that's how that turned out.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Grand Wagoneer is over produced, but not a failure. There isn't much sales volume in the higher price tiers. I have driven both the Grand and regular Wagoneers. I prefer the regular one, since I don't like all the bells and whistles. BTW, the Ford and Lincoln equivalents are V6 only.

About the Compass, it's not on the list, and its fuel economy is competitive with its non-hybrid competition. The Hornet is on the list and yet it offers a hybrid option. The hybrid option has very competitive fuel economy with other hybrids in that market segment. Many of us wish the Compass offered the same hybrid option.

Stellantis is investing money in a 1.6 liter four built at Dundee to power new hybrid models, and is finishing a new production line in Kokomo for the 2.0 liter GME.

Mopar Insiders is full of information. People need to take some time to review the news contained here before offering opinions as statements of facts.

TripleT

Reaction score
The largest majority of those who say they want a V8 never ever move the plastic cover off the engine or even count the spark plugs. So it’s all marketing….. the new engine is better in every single way if that isn’t enough for someone then they are a poser.

The only way GM and Ford get to sell a couple bespoke V8s is buy selling a crapload of Turbo engines. FCA had to pay people to drive Teslas. Unsustainable.

ipa0628

Reaction score
The Grand Wagoneer is over produced, but not a failure. There isn't much sales volume in the higher price tiers. I have driven both the Grand and regular Wagoneers. I prefer the regular one, since I don't like all the bells and whistles. BTW, the Ford and Lincoln equivalents are V6 only.

About the Compass, it's not on the list, and its fuel economy is competitive with its non-hybrid competition. The Hornet is on the list and yet it offers a hybrid option. The hybrid option has very competitive fuel economy with other hybrids in that market segment. Many of us wish the Compass offered the same hybrid option.

Stellantis is investing money in a 1.6 liter four built at Dundee to power new hybrid models, and is finishing a new production line in Kokomo for the 2.0 liter GME.

Mopar Insiders is full of information. People need to take some time to review the news contained here before offering opinions as statements of facts.
I realize the Ford products are V6. Ford sold almost 14,000 Expeditions and 2200 Navigators during the 1st 2 months of this year. Since we won't have 1st qtr from Stellantis until next week, I can't compare the results. I doubt GW and W reach 15K units this quarter.
Personally I would not buy any of these 4 vehicles.
I''m glad they are making new engines. Now give us something to put them in.

ipa0628

Reaction score
"Look how that is turning out"
The most profitable Automaker in North America.... that's how that turned out.
They are profitable because the vehicles are overpriced.
Jeep sales have been dropping for the last 3-4 years. Grand Cherokee inventory was growing so they had to give 10% or more off sticker to move them. Then they reduced the price of the Limited by 4K.
Charging for colors other than white is absurd and the price logic is mind boggling. The Ram is 300 for a color, Jeeps are 600, same colors and smaller vehicles.
The Classic is supposed to be a value pickup, yet when I price it out with similar equipment to my '16 Big Horn, the price differential between it and the DT Big Horn is only a few hundred.
When I bought my my '16 the center console option was 250. Same console today is 1300. How is that justifiable.
I was looking at F150's today. The V8 option is 1400. The Hurricane in the Big Horn is 2700. Ford doesn't charge extra for most colors. The Laramie equal is the Lariat. With similar equipment, the ford with a V8 and black package is 4000 less than a similar equipped Laramire Night edition.

AlexB

Reaction score
They are profitable because the vehicles are overpriced.
Jeep sales have been dropping for the last 3-4 years. Grand Cherokee inventory was growing so they had to give 10% or more off sticker to move them. Then they reduced the price of the Limited by 4K.
Charging for colors other than white is absurd and the price logic is mind boggling. The Ram is 300 for a color, Jeeps are 600, same colors and smaller vehicles.
The Classic is supposed to be a value pickup, yet when I price it out with similar equipment to my '16 Big Horn, the price differential between it and the DT Big Horn is only a few hundred.
When I bought my my '16 the center console option was 250. Same console today is 1300. How is that justifiable.
I was looking at F150's today. The V8 option is 1400. The Hurricane in the Big Horn is 2700. Ford doesn't charge extra for most colors. The Laramie equal is the Lariat. With similar equipment, the ford with a V8 and black package is 4000 less than a similar equipped Laramire Night edition.
They the most profitable in North American, because they run the business better.
You discuss your 2016 , but that truck was. woefully underpriced in every & all measures: hence the reason for the DT's existence which was getting rid of the price-gap vs Ford ( they now higher the F-Series).
Your whole rant about paint charges is something better off for Government...GM also charge for Paint.

Users who are viewing this thread