Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Report: Jeep Grand Cherokee To Gain New Powertrain For 2025

Stellantis has been overhauling its engine offerings across its brand portfolios in response to increasingly stringent C.A.F.E. regulations. Now, according to our sources, the 2025 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s powertrain is slated to receive significant updates. A Shift Toward Efficiency Since its introduction, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been synonymous with rugged capability and power. The Grand Cherokee L model, a three-row variant introduced in the 2021 model year, offered a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and a more robust 5.7-liter Hemi V8 engine. Following its debut, the 2022 model year saw the introduction of a two-row version, which included the 2.0 turbocharged … (read full article...)

Image 107.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Archknight

Reaction score
This engine must be a full hybrid because it's going to struggle to move something as big as the Grand Cherokee. The 3.6L struggles to move the GC to 60 mph, so there must be giant fuel economy advantage. Considering the 3.6L is good to tow up to 6200 lbs, how would they compensate for that? They maybe talking about the Cherokee KM replacement when it comes to this engine versus the Grand Cherokee, as it wouldn't make any sense. Lastly, if the S.O I6 improves the Wagoneer's performance and fuel economy, why aren't they using it in the GC?

ipa0628

Reaction score
So replacing the Hemi with a 2 liter 4. That makes no sense in these heavy vehicles. Turbo or not, it is still a tiny engine for an over 4000lb car. I'm sure the gas mileage will suffer big time under load or in hill climbing. The Hurricane should be offered along with the 3.6. The decisions coming out of Stellantis these days are mind boggling.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I get that Ford has the 2.3L Ecoboost in the explorer and it is a decent enough engine in itself and it works for the average Explorer owner being the fact that most people who own these types of vehicles don't use them to their full potential anyway. I could see the new 2.0L replacing the 3.6L V6 but not really replacing the 5.7L Hemi. Now the 4Xe powertrain definitely has what it takes to replace them Hemi as it makes nearly the same horsepower with torque rivaling the 6.4L V8 so that makes more sense to me. IDK that's just my thoughts.

bill burke

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Has Stellantis gone nuts, no Hurricane six in a Grand Cherokee. The main reason I chose a Jeep Cherokee over an Alfa Romeo Stelvio was that turbo four that groaned and just did not meet the smoothness of the Pentastar V-6 in my opinion. My timeline for replacing my Cherokee was late 2025 with the updated Grand Cherokee or Cherokee. If neither gets the Hurricane, I’m out. Crazy nuts thinking still going on at headquarters it seems. Check electrics piling up in dealers lots on that brain trust decision making record. .
Absolutely, I’m certain, most buyers of the Grand Cherokee will walk away from that SUV without at least a six cylinder option in such a large vehicle. Hopefully this information is wrong, or someone is kidding us. Ha, ha ha! If not, Jeep will regret the decision, big time.

Midnight

Reaction score
Stellantis has gone completely insane.

I've been holding onto my 2015 GC diesel in hopes for the hurricane, something that can tow 7000lb. They've always had something that could tow ~7200lbs until they discontinued the HEMI. They must know they are leaving some of the market on the table by not putting the hurricane in the 2025 model.

With the hurricane seemingly not coming I need to find something else, but not sure what that is going to be.

cygnus

Reaction score
Stellantis has gone completely insane.

I've been holding onto my 2015 GC diesel in hopes for the hurricane, something that can tow 7000lb. They've always had something that could tow ~7200lbs until they discontinued the HEMI. They must know they are leaving some of the market on the table by not putting the hurricane in the 2025 model.

With the hurricane seemingly not coming I need to find something else, but not sure what that is going to be.

I'm going used, Pre-Covid, 2019 WK2 Hemi.

Geothing

Reaction score
Seems Jeep is trying to shrink itself. I purchased 3 Jeeps in a row, but could not deal with another underpowered v6 Jeep. I ordered a Bronco, at least I can get a turbo v6 with that.

Sure the Explorer has a 2.3 turbo but it also has a turbo v6 option with 400 hp. Jeep needs to offer the turbo 6 to be competitive.

ike92

Reaction score
This engine must be a full hybrid because it's going to struggle to move something as big as the Grand Cherokee. The 3.6L struggles to move the GC to 60 mph, so there must be giant fuel economy advantage. Considering the 3.6L is good to tow up to 6200 lbs, how would they compensate for that? They maybe talking about the Cherokee KM replacement when it comes to this engine versus the Grand Cherokee, as it wouldn't make any sense. Lastly, if the S.O I6 improves the Wagoneer's performance and fuel economy, why aren't they using it in the GC?
The 2.0 has plenty of power but lacks refinement

ipa0628

Reaction score
The Hemi is still available in the Durango. That would be my choice instead of a buzzy 4 cylinder.
FCA brought us to this point with no product development in the mid sized SUV market. No competitors for the Equinox, CRV, RAV, Sante Fe, etc. They gave us paint and stickers packages for years, The Hellcats were great, but they should have had other areas of the market covered. Then maybe we wouldn't have come to a 2.0 GC.

Midnight

Reaction score
Thinking about this more.. There has to be something else on the way.

Removing the old pentastar for a turbo 4 makes some sense but to have nothing above that in the lineup that can tow 7200lbs makes no sense. I wonder if they will actually offer the 2.0 and 3.0.

There must be others that want to buy a JGC for the 7200lbs towing capacity and that would like more than ~300hp.

Who is going to by a GJC long wheelbase with a 4 cylinder? Not even a 4xe option on that platform....

maross600

Reaction score
Stellantis has been overhauling its engine offerings across its brand portfolios in response to increasingly stringent C.A.F.E. regulations. Now, according to our sources, the 2025 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s powertrain is slated to receive significant updates. A Shift Toward Efficiency Since its introduction, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been synonymous with rugged capability and power. The Grand Cherokee L model, a three-row variant introduced in the 2021 model year, offered a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and a more robust 5.7-liter Hemi V8 engine. Following its debut, the 2022 model year saw the introduction of a two-row version, which included the 2.0 turbocharged … (read full article...)

View attachment 9456
well i’m glad i got my 2023 with a hemi, i got hemi ram to for 2024. i’m conflicted on the twin turbo six for the ram, but NO to a 2.0 turbo. thank democrats hysterical climate authoritarianism for this. bad news keeps coming it seems.

Archknight

Reaction score
Anyone buying a GC with the 4 banger isn't using it to actually tow anything. Stellantis is likely making it so there's an option at a lower price point for those who want a people mover and better fuel economy. With all the rebates on the hood of the '24 models at the moment, they probably want to make sure the new starting price makes sense for the 25MY.

After visiting dealers this weekend and seeing all the 4x2 (pointless) and 4xe models they had compared to the few Limited and rows of Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer models, it was clear someone over estimated what models would actually sell. Stellantis will use Jeep to play in every segment of CUV/SUV matket because of the brand's cache compared to its other brands.

Also, Jeep's new CEO is looking to cut some the trim levels and finally bring down the complexity. The 25MY will likely turn into Limited, Overland, and Summit trims with the starting price to be pushed into the low $40K range. They have to make room for the KM, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a price starting at around $33K. The KM will also be close to the size of the SWB GC, will they make the KM more driver (sport) oriented since the GC is geared on the comfort/luxury end of the range?

Jonathan

Reaction score

View attachment 9456

Very glad I bought my 2023 GC L Summit w/ Hemi last fall when they were clearing them out. Best of the 4 GC I have owned in my opinion, smoother on the road than the 2019, geared better IMHO, even nicer inside and handles better than the 2019 GC I replaced. I tow a boat and an enclosed trailer roughly 25 times a year and I'm set for a good while with my V8 while they figure all this out. And by the way my V8 actually gets OK highway mileage for what it is. The inline 6 turbo would be a great engine for the GCL and I hope this report is wrong....

Archknight

Reaction score
Jeep® Looking At HEV Powertrains For Wagoneer S and Recon?

Looking at this report, what we heard may have been for the Wagoneer S and Recon models as a secondary powertrain option. If the KM is getting a hybrid 1.6T, then it would make sense to have the 2.0T hybrid engine in a luxury model as it's entry level engine, especially if the S is going to be focused towards on road driving. I wasn't surprised at how quickly they changed direction, as the EV market is starting to rapidly implode.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Towing was definitely something I was thinking about when writing the article. I have no idea what their plan is for that.

I had heard for quite a while that Hurricane 6 was slated for the GC and was surprised that it hadn't already been done by this point. Imagine my shock when I was told that the 2.0T was coming, to not only the GC, but also the GCL and from what I've seen will be the only engine option in the GCL at least for the time being after launch, and between that or the 4XE for the regular GC. No sign of Hurricane 6 for the GC from what I've seen recently and all the rumblings about it seem to have died down months and months ago.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Reaction score

I got 8.2 sec 0-60 Testing a GCL with the 3.6, not terrible but not great for sure. They aren't talking KM, KM is getting a 1.6 Hybrid, likely the unit Peugeot is currently using, and I saw what they were referencing with my own eyes. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I have no idea why the Hurricane SO hasn't been put in the GC already.

Seems Jeep is trying to shrink itself. I purchased 3 Jeeps in a row, but could not deal with another underpowered v6 Jeep. I ordered a Bronco, at least I can get a turbo v6 with that.

Sure the Explorer has a 2.3 turbo but it also has a turbo v6 option with 400 hp. Jeep needs to offer the turbo 6 to be competitive.
Agreed, I'd like to see something from Jeep to compete with the ST and Platinum Explorer power wise but it seems like that's a ways out, if at all at this point.

Last edited:

Archknight

Reaction score
Towing was definitely something I was thinking about when writing the article. I have no idea what their plan is for that.

I had heard for quite a while that Hurricane 6 was slated for the GC and was surprised that it hadn't already been done by this point. Imagine my shock when I was told that the 2.0T was coming, to not only the GC, but also the GCL and from what I've seen will be the only engine option in the GCL at least for the time being after launch, and between that or the 4XE for the regular GC. No sign of Hurricane 6 for the GC from what I've seen recently and all the rumblings about it seem to have died down months and months ago.
I don't think they'll leave the 2.0T as the only engine choice for too long, considering why people buy GCs and this would be a deal breaker for anyone looking for the equivalent towing power of the current one. I suspect RAMs tweaked HO I6 may sneak over to Jeep (G Wagoneer), when they use either I6 in the GC.

We know the new 2.0T is going to be a corporate engine since the EU and China have crazy taxes on anything larger. So if anything, this will be focused on those markets versus NA market. Sometimes the reaction to these articles is that we forget that Jeep is being pushed harder than all other brands and they are catering to every market with a variety of options. They saw how the 4xe models are performing here and noticed they weren't flying off dealership lots and people complained the 3.6L wasn't getting the best FE, while feeling underpowered. The alternative is to increase the fuel economy while retaining reasonable towing. Knowing how powerful the old 2.0T was in the Stelvio with hybrid power I think we'll see something with 300+hp/325+lb-ft to compensate for the displacement.

Users who are viewing this thread