Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Report: Jeep Grand Cherokee To Gain New Powertrain For 2025

Stellantis has been overhauling its engine offerings across its brand portfolios in response to increasingly stringent C.A.F.E. regulations. Now, according to our sources, the 2025 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s powertrain is slated to receive significant updates. A Shift Toward Efficiency Since its introduction, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been synonymous with rugged capability and power. The Grand Cherokee L model, a three-row variant introduced in the 2021 model year, offered a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 and a more robust 5.7-liter Hemi V8 engine. Following its debut, the 2022 model year saw the introduction of a two-row version, which included the 2.0 turbocharged … (read full article...)

Image 107.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

cygnus

Reaction score
They don't sell anything in China and Europe is its own island other than sharing STLA Medium for MY 2025/2026 US products.

They are well on their way into driving CDJR into the ground. I could see 2024 US sales coming in 15-20% below 2023 sales.

HuJass

Reaction score
This can't be right.
It has been bandied about for a few years that the WL would get the new Hurricane twin turbo inline 6 to replace the Hemi.

TripleT

Reaction score
This is an upgrade from the 3.6L and pulls around the Wrangler adequately, they will roll in the Hurricane6 as capacity comes up. We all knew the Eagle is going away.

cgseller

Reaction score
Looks like I’m done buying Grand Cherokees.
I can understand the reaction!

Given some of the audience of GCs don't care about a V or I or slant or CCs, and they want it to pull a boat and go when you press the go pedal, I feel no matter if you are on this board or a Soccer Mom, having to put higher octane fuel in a Turbo will impact you. And it's not a 10c different like it was pre 2010.

Will there be viable alternatives in the market - and will they be ~Chinese EVs at steep discounts...time will tell...

TripleT

Reaction score
Who said you have to put high octane fuel in it?

Recommended and required are not same as required, the 2.OT runs perfectly fine on 87 Octane fuel, and is still better engine then the ancient Pentastar.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
If it doesnt get the hurricane at refresh time it wont ever be getting it which would be very dumb of Jeep

Midnight

Reaction score
Towing was definitely something I was thinking about when writing the article. I have no idea what their plan is for that.

I had heard for quite a while that Hurricane 6 was slated for the GC and was surprised that it hadn't already been done by this point. Imagine my shock when I was told that the 2.0T was coming, to not only the GC, but also the GCL and from what I've seen will be the only engine option in the GCL at least for the time being after launch, and between that or the 4XE for the regular GC. No sign of Hurricane 6 for the GC from what I've seen recently and all the rumblings about it seem to have died down months and months ago.

I know many complain about (the current owner) killing the GJC from version to version, I've never really bought that, I've owned one of each one less the WL. I'd like to replace my 2015 3L Diesel, but without something better than a 2L I just can't, does not fit my use case. Guess I'll have to buy a GX550 or something, but not easy to get.... Let Stellantis know they are out of their minds please!

patfromigh

Reaction score
We are close to the start of the 2025 MY. A common theme in the latest thread topics, the Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Recon and Wagoneer S, is that they are all on the STLA large platform, or will soon be in the caes of the GC. We don't know what the specifications for the next generation transmissions coming from Kokomo and Gray Court will be. I think the Ram 1500 will get the new stuff first, then the other offerings.

TripleT

Reaction score
I know many complain about (the current owner) killing the GJC from version to version, I've never really bought that, I've owned one of each one less the WL. I'd like to replace my 2015 3L Diesel, but without something better than a 2L I just can't, does not fit my use case. Guess I'll have to buy a GX550 or something, but not easy to get.... Let Stellantis know they are out of their minds please!
So you came to this Forum to tell us that you're going to buy a Toyota..... Thanks. You could grab a Eagle as this is future production if it that important to you.

Everyone here has known for a while that the Eagle is being retired for a better powertrain, so yes there will be some model year transitions. Most JGC come with either the Pentastar or 2,OT 4xE. The 2,0T has been the upgrade powertrain on the Wrangler for some time, so not sure how this is issue? Fun to complain I suppose.

If one doesn't want to wait for the Hurricane, enjoy your Toyota not sure what we can do about here or if you're looking for some sort of group nodding session to as an approval for your decision.

Not going to give it, Buy a eagle now or wait for Hurricane in that odd gap in ONLY the L model. I have 4xE and love it, great gas mileage and quicker than the Eagle.

Wait I just read your mail...... SO you never owned a 3 Row? You're now going to move brands because the 3 row has one powerplant? OK ..... thanks for the details and joining to tell us that.

Last edited:

ipa0628

Reaction score
This is an upgrade from the 3.6L and pulls around the Wrangler adequately, they will roll in the Hurricane6 as capacity comes up. We all knew the Eagle is going away.
I don't call a power train that has multiple recalls and many other issues that owners are complaining about, an upgrade. I;ll take the 3.6t any day over it. My current Charger has it as did the previous one. Between this engine and my Hemi Ram I am well covered for a while to avoid these problematic engines.

Midnight

Reaction score
So you came to this Forum to tell us that you're going to buy a Toyota..... Thanks. You could grab a Eagle as this is future production if it that important to you.

Everyone here has known for a while that the Eagle is being retired for a better powertrain, so yes there will be some model year transitions. Most JGC come with either the Pentastar or 2,OT 4xE. The 2,0T has been the upgrade powertrain on the Wrangler for some time, so not sure how this is issue? Fun to complain I suppose.

If one doesn't want to wait for the Hurricane, enjoy your Toyota not sure what we can do about here or if you're looking for some sort of group nodding session to as an approval for your decision.

Not going to give it, Buy a eagle now or wait for Hurricane in that odd gap in ONLY the L model. I have 4xE and love it, great gas mileage and quicker than the Eagle.

Wait I just read your mail...... SO you never owned a 3 Row? You're now going to move brands because the 3 row has one powerplant? OK ..... thanks for the details and joining to tell us that.

I've been a Jeep owner for 25 years, been reading here for ages, but never felt the need to comment. I'd like to buy another Jeep, but annoyed nothing will tow 7000lbs which I do often. Lexus does, Landrover does, so I'll look elsewhere unless they put the hurricane in the WL. The Hemi has been retired for well over a year, at least in the SWB and in Canada.

No nodding needed. Though I do know manufactures scour forms, Twitter, etc. for feedback and information. If they scour here, and this is a theme, they've heard from some potential customers.

Have a nice day.

TripleT

Reaction score
I've been a Jeep owner for 25 years, been reading here for ages, but never felt the need to comment. I'd like to buy another Jeep, but annoyed nothing will tow 7000lbs which I do often. Lexus does, Landrover does, so I'll look elsewhere unless they put the hurricane in the WL. The Hemi has been retired for well over a year, at least in the SWB and in Canada.

No nodding needed. Though I do know manufactures scour forms, Twitter, etc. for feedback and information. If they scour here, and this is a theme, they've heard from some potential customers.

Have a nice day.
So the last one you bought was nearly a decade ago.

And you have to buy exactly in the Gap between the Eagle being rolled down and the Hurricane6 implementation, or you’re going to Toyota, got it.

Can’t buy a 24 with an Eagle or a 26 with a Hurricane…… has to be a 25.

Completely reasonable complaint ….. got and joined to to make that statement

Cool

BTW the Lexus body on frame has a direct competitor on the Jeep lot.

Similar price slightly bigger BOF truck.

Last edited:

Midnight

Reaction score

And you have to buy exactly in the Gap between the Eagle being rolled down and the Hurricane6 implementation, or you’re going to Toyota, got it.

Cool

26 will have the Hurricane hey.. I guess you must work for Stellantis, thanks for listening and putting in a reasonable replacement for the HEMI. Knew joining and making this post would make a difference.

ipa0628

Reaction score

Cool

Maybe the poster is not ready to buy yet but will be in 6 months.
You belittle everyone who complains about what Stellantis is trying to shove on us , even though what is coming is not what we want. I don't want a 4cyl in a 4500lb vehicle. If FCA would have given us something other than paint and stickers instead of new mid sized SUV's, they could still be offering the Hemi on a limited basis. On other forums I see post after post saying they are leaving Mopar after years as there is nothing that meets their needs.
The bland, overpriced Wagoneer shouldn't even mentioned into this thread. The GC is 193" long, GC-L is 205" the GX550 is 197". The Wagonner is 215" and the GW is 227".

patfromigh

Reaction score
I know this is a Jeep thread, but since the Lexus GX 550 was brought up I have to comment. A lot of Toyota fans are upset the V8 was dropped and mostly replaced by the turbo V6, while the NA V6 is being dropped for a turbo four cylinder. I'm kinda puzzled that the Toyota Landcruiser is only a two row model while the GX 550 offers three rows. The new 4Runner is said to offer a three row option when it goes on sale later this year. Both the Landcruiser and 4Runner appear to be four cylinder only models. The 2-row Jeep Grand Cherokee and the new Landcruiser seem to follow the same formula of a two-row seat model with a hybrid four cylinder engine for power.

I don't tow and never intentionally drive off road. If I needed a three row vehicle I would probably choose the Toyota Grand Hylander, despite the fact it is also a four cylinder only model. Stellantis has a lot of new stuff in the pipeline, but there is nothing affordable on the dealers' lots that interests me.

qvee

Reaction score
I currently own a 2017 GC powered by the 3.6. That engine is barely adequate for light duty towing. I'd love to upgrade to a 2025... but I won't consider owning one with the same 3.6 engine or the 2.0T. I'd only consider the 3.0T

TripleT

Reaction score
I currently own a 2017 GC powered by the 3.6. That engine is barely adequate for light duty towing. I'd love to upgrade to a 2025... but I won't consider owning one with the same 3.6 engine or the 2.0T. I'd only consider the 3.0T
It you're not in the need of a 3 row, 2017 is a 2 row.... the 4xe is a great powerplant ...... Jumps off the line. We love ours.

Users who are viewing this thread