Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV​

A Bold Move to Capture the Affordable Electric Vehicle (EV) Market...​

1718287445933.png

In a significant announcement during Stellantis’ Investor Day 2024 at the Chrysler Technical Center in Auburn Hills, Michigan, Jeep® CEO Antonio Filosa unveiled plans for the return of the Renegade nameplate to the North American market. This time, the Renegade will make its comeback as an all-electric vehicle (BEV) with a starting price just under $25,000. This announcement comes on the heels of Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares’ earlier statement at a Bernstein investor conference, where he mentioned that a $25,000 Jeep BEV would be arriving in the U.S. “very soon.”

TripleT

Reaction score
Admittedly I am not very informed on the specifics of government regulations on electric vehicles, but is not offering for sale something a goal and not a absolute mandate? I believe fleet sales might cover a lot of these mandates and then people can buy what they want. This administration has, I believe, already changed the mix on these rules. Hybrids, in my opinion will cover this issue of electric goals leaving folks like me to buy my gasoline power vehicle. Personally I believe these mandates will last only until the next election and if things play out as polls suggest, these rules will change again. If we as Americans believe in free market Capitalism and consumer choice, than our voting decisions on those making these rules will reflect those values. Electric vehicles have a place, and a market, but above all free choice reigns supreme. Biding my time on this issue seems sound at this point.
Let explain again. Here in the USA, we have federal government the has exceeded its constitutional (some will say) authority that regulates automotive emissions. Then you have individual municipalities called States that also have chosen to individually regulate emissions. This was taken all the way up to Supreme Court, and they have found that they can regulate the emissions to the individual states. Over half the population live in these municipalities.

So, it doesn't matter which old man is elected these States will continue to have the right to regulate emissions. I hope you now understand why the election ONLY matter from a Federal regulatory atmosphere which helps only those in Non-CARB states.

So, half the population in 28' model year, ICE will face such punitive fines that it is an effective mandate. These escalate until they are complete ban in 35'. To do business with half the population OEM must plan for those regulatory realities. Now there is a chance they will push these back, but there doesn't seem to be governmental momentum at all in those states in fact the opposite. It is not business plan to how they change suddenly.

AlexB

Reaction score
Let explain again. Here in the USA, we have federal government the has exceeded its constitutional (some will say) authority that regulates automotive emissions. Then you have individual municipalities called States that also have chosen to individually regulate emissions. This was taken all the way up to Supreme Court, and they have found that they can regulate the emissions to the individual states. Over half the population live in these municipalities.

So, it doesn't matter which old man is elected these States will continue to have the right to regulate emissions. I hope you now understand why the election ONLY matter from a Federal regulatory atmosphere which helps only those in Non-CARB states.

So, half the population in 28' model year, ICE will face such punitive fines that it is an effective mandate. These escalate until they are complete ban in 35'. To do business with half the population OEM must plan for those regulatory realities. Now there is a chance they will push these back, but there doesn't seem to be governmental momentum at all in those states in fact the opposite. It is not business plan to how they change suddenly.
And for those Non-CARB states, in 2028 it can swing another way on the Federal level.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Love the style your AI image generator is coming up with, I know a few Spanish designers that should be sweeting ...

lol. It is all based on what program, how much detail, and how much time you are willing to take to get an image. I went through about 30 images to get that one just the way I liked it.

TripleT

Reaction score
Ford and Toyota are mostly single brand companies.... I suppose that is more easy.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Make that an HEV or even PHEV and that new Renegade sounds like a good replacement for a Prius in my driveway

Still hoping for a decent powerplant in a new boxy HEV Cherokee

TripleT

Reaction score
guess the RT is too expensive up in your parts.

I am getting over 75mpg in my little Alfa... found out 75 is the best it will read so now I going to have to start hand calculating it.

patfromigh

Reaction score
India has their own version of the Citroen C3 Aircross. The overall length is 170 inches with a 105 inch wheelbase. This model has a third row for that market, and uses an evolution of the CMP and Smart platforms. The Citroen C3 Aircross built in South America for the Latin American market uses the Smart platform.

I don't expect the Renegade to be as short as the Grande Panda and I don't expect it to have a third row like the Aircross. The European C3 Aircross will be a few inches longer when it's introduced this summer for the EU market. That mpdel will offer a battery electric drivetrain, followed by ICE and hybrid options later. My guess is that the new Renegade will follow the same pattern.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
I think in NA they need to introduce all the powertrains at once, to make sure 4 wheel drive is available at launch.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
guess the RT is too expensive up in your parts.

I am getting over 75mpg in my little Alfa... found out 75 is the best it will read so now I going to have to start hand calculating it.

The Hornet is an overpriced. badge engineered joke in Canada. The base Hornet GT starts at the same price I paid for my loaded Cherokee Trailhawk Elite.

Lots are overflowing with Hornets, but I've only seen 3 on the roads so far.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Make that an HEV or even PHEV and that new Renegade sounds like a good replacement for a Prius in my driveway

Still hoping for a decent powerplant in a new boxy HEV Cherokee

1719231377358.png

They should have brought the current Renegade 4xe here. It would have sold a lot better than the Tonale PHEV or the Hornet PHEV. Renegade still is selling better in some areas with left over inventory than the Hornet!

TripleT

Reaction score
View attachment 9658

They should have brought the current Renegade 4xe here. It would have sold a lot better than the Tonale PHEV or the Hornet PHEV. Renegade still is selling better in some areas with left over inventory than the Hornet!
Well, the Tonale is always limited because the Dealer network... so never comparable. But I always was disappointed that Compass and Renegade wasn't offered with this powertrain.

For being Overpriced Joke I didn't pay that much for mine, I am averaging over 75 mpg, and I have never had a car that draws more attention, and I used to drive a Red Scat Pack and a Green Stelvio. I don't park or drive anywhere that someone doesn't make positive comment or ask about it. I do believe the color is part of it.

So how that was mucked up on the "Just a badge engineer" ........ if that was the case people would like it better. I would have like it better. Front isn't well integrated, the IP dash is inferior, and marketing has been disaster.

It's tough for Imported Italian and be cheap. really any sales help cover the Tonale implementation cost and expand sales in NA,

james.mooney.

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240621_093006_Chrome.jpg

Gen2 Tonale to start production at Melfi in 2027 on STLA Medium.

This is an opportunity to redesign the Hornet, differentiate it from the Tonale, and address its shortcomings.

The primary complaints I've read about the Hornet include:
*too expensive.
*rear seats too cramped.
*styling.
*marketing.

Here are some ideas for a gen2 Hornet:
*build it on STLA Medium at Brampton with the new Compass.
*add a sub-$30k SXT model with the 200hp 2.0l/AWD setup used by the Compass.
*stretch the wheelbase by about 3" and add another 3" or so behind the rear axle (similar dimensions to the Honda CR-V).
*more aggressive front-end styling.
*"crossover coupe" profile like the BMW X6, including:
*different C/D-pillar and rear glass treatment from the Tonale. (The current design, to my eye, is very European-- particularly Italian-- which works great on the Tonale but which, IMHO, does not look quite right on a Dodge.)
*add a pure EV model (depending on the market for EVs by then).

james.mooney.

Reaction score
uuggggg I hate the Xevens.... Yet many people do like it...
I like it but I get that it is polarizing. I think it gives a sportier look that would suit the Dodge and differentiate it from the more tradional CUV roofline that I imagine the Compass will likely retain.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
... crossover coupe" profile like the BMW X6 ...
Interesting post. Before committing to a Dodge crossover coupe from Brampton, I think whatever product is to replace the Fiat Tipo should first be considered. The Tipo is on the small wide platform like the Compass. Different Stellantis brands already offer coupe crossovers in the global portfolio. There currently is a Tipo Cross hatchback available, but at the end of it's lifespan. Stellantis should take the opportunity to make the replacement compliant to US standards. I'm assuming the next generation Tipo will be based on the STLA medium platform, although the wheelbase and lengths are within the Smart platform range.

I would use some of that Brampton capacity for a Dodge Journey replacement. There will be a three row version of the Compass for everywhere else, I say give us a Dodge version.

We don't know where the cheap EV Jeep will come from. I highly doubt it will be sourced from South America. It won't be from the earlier e-CMP platform. The newest Citroen C3 comes from Spain. Where are they building the Grande Panda?

james.mooney.

Reaction score
Interesting post. Before committing to a Dodge crossover coupe from Brampton, I think whatever product is to replace the Fiat Tipo should first be considered. The Tipo is on the small wide platform like the Compass. Different Stellantis brands already offer coupe crossovers in the global portfolio. There currently is a Tipo Cross hatchback available, but at the end of it's lifespan. Stellantis should take the opportunity to make the replacement compliant to US standards. I'm assuming the next generation Tipo will be based on the STLA medium platform, although the wheelbase and lengths are within the Smart platform range.

I would use some of that Brampton capacity for a Dodge Journey replacement. There will be a three row version of the Compass for everywhere else, I say give us a Dodge version.

We don't know where the cheap EV Jeep will come from. I highly doubt it will be sourced from South America. It won't be from the earlier e-CMP platform. The newest Citroen C3 comes from Spain. Where are they building the Grande Panda?
The South America Fiat Fastback is another similar vehicle.

The ProMaster City (aka Fiat Doblo) was built by the Tofas JV in Bursa, Turkey, like the Tipo, so importing from that plant is not unprecedented.

I would use Brampton to build the Compass, Hornet, and a compact/midsize Chrysler-- maybe a CUV or an MPV like the PT Cruiser or a mini Pacifica. A midsize Journey or Magnum replacement could be built at Toluca with the Jeep midsize triplets (Wagoneer S, Recon, and Cherokee) on STLA Large. Of course, capacity would have to be considered, as I think I read that the Chrysler midsize CUV due in 2026 will be produced at Toluca as well-- I could be wrong, so don't quote me! But the Wagoneer S and possibly the Recon and the Chrysler will be low-volume vehicles, so a fifth model could be possible.

The Grande Panda is built at Kragujevac, Serbia, where FCA US used to import the 500L from, so that could work. Maybe they'll import the Grande Panda and a somewhat larger Jeep Renegade from there?

Users who are viewing this thread