Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Continues To Miss An Opportunity In The Compact Pickup Market

In the ever-evolving landscape of the automotive industry, the resurgence of compact trucks has been a significant trend. With Ford’s Maverick making waves in the market, there’s a spotlight on the potential success of smaller pickups. However, amidst this fervor, Ram seems to be missing a golden opportunity by not capitalizing on its compact Rampage … (read full article...)

tempImagekKjRRz.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bill burke

Reaction score
One could argue that Stellantis is being mismanaged, especially if you factor in the North American brands. Would Dodge be better if the Hemi were updated and not discarded? Why in heavens sake is this Ram pickup not brought into US compliance and built for our market? Do I dare mention the cracks showing in Jeep or whatever you call what is going on with Chrysler, beyond incompetence and neglect. It’s not just North America, but you can not deny the Euro-Cenrtic thinking of Stellantis management that seems to reek of bias and the stubborn refusal to admit their timetable and plan for all electric vehicles, in spite of the realization by the competition, and that that politically radical corporate mandate is a fools errand to doom. A well managed company would have had these Brazilian Rams in showrooms already and new product from Dodge Jeep and Chrysler there too. It’s a New Year, but it’s 2022 at Stellantis. I believe that mismanaged is not just an opinion, but if you drop by a CDJR showroom near you, the facts for that opinion are evident and glaring.

crouchta

Reaction score
Remember the days when Chrysler took chances and was bold, not waiting until a market started falling off to get in, but leading the way? Caravan/Voyager, Dakota, Viper......

1960D500

Reaction score
i agree with the comments here, when Ram was still under Dodge it was a lot more interesting and innovative what are they waiting for? Ford will have 4 trucks to pick from while ram has 2 and the heavy duties have been around since 09 with only a basic mid cycle refresh, a new hood and tow mirrors won’t cut it and now they are dealing with another diesel candle.

The 2025 comming out are dropping the hemi and they don’t look any better than todays model most people won’t see the difference.

Miss managed is the only explanation that comes to mind and lets not forget the price increases over the last couple years, 105,000.00 plus here in canada for a loaded limited that is the same as my 2019.

Reminds me of the Damlier days and let’s not mention cerberus. europe doesn’t now how to read the American market very well, still using Chrysler as a cash cow

Bob O.

Reaction score
PLEASE surprise all of us USA mid -size truck lovers with SOMETHING in 2024.

200C Ghost

Reaction score
Missed opportunity? I had seen the Rampage Prototypes running around the Chelsea (Michigan) Proving Grounds for the last eight years! Yes, FCA changed hands over that time but they had continued to use niche remarketing bringing out modified models to the 2011 Charger and Challengers but neglected the Rampage niche for all those years. Ford is enjoying stealth mode with the Maverick having no completion. I believe the Maverick market will be the thing of the future as an economic alternative to an expensive passenger car!

Mike201

Reaction score
i agree with the comments here, when Ram was still under Dodge it was a lot more interesting and innovative what are they waiting for? Ford will have 4 trucks to pick from while ram has 2 and the heavy duties have been around since 09 with only a basic mid cycle refresh, a new hood and tow mirrors won’t cut it and now they are dealing with another diesel candle.

The 2025 comming out are dropping the hemi and they don’t look any better than todays model most people won’t see the difference.

Miss managed is the only explanation that comes to mind and lets not forget the price increases over the last couple years, 105,000.00 plus here in canada for a loaded limited that is the same as my 2019.

Reminds me of the Damlier days and let’s not mention cerberus. europe doesn’t now how to read the American market very well, still using Chrysler as a cash cow
I hate to say, the Damlier days were better. Yeah they were sucking money like FCA/Stellantis, but at least we had cars in showrooms and lots to sell and they weren’t half bad. Also we got something new or an update more often! This is just crazy now. With all the changes since the Damlier “merger”, this is the first time I am very nervous that our beloved Chrysler/Dodge maybe a thing of the past. I see the mini van and Durango being blended into Ram with Ram and Jeep being the only survivors of the old Chrysler Corporation.

TripleT

Reaction score
I hate to say, the Damlier days were better. Yeah they were sucking money like FCA/Stellantis, but at least we had cars in showrooms and lots to sell and they weren’t half bad. Also we got something new or an update more often! This is just crazy now. With all the changes since the Damlier “merger”, this is the first time I am very nervous that our beloved Chrysler/Dodge maybe a thing of the past. I see the mini van and Durango being blended into Ram with Ram and Jeep being the only survivors of the old Chrysler Corporation.

Literally worst vehicles under Daimler... the sucked every penny out of the product and forced pure crap Mitsubishi platforms and powertrains on the entire company. Oh the LXs.... yeah, yeah, they were mostly done when the Diamler parts bin came available so yeah no. Daimler sucked company dry left it for dead. To pine for those days is some rose colored glasses that no time passed can justify.

Reality is the Mid-Sized BOF is new and crowded. Even if they had an entry beyond the Jeep it would margin less given the crowded market. The cost structure of mid is not but better than Full sized given the volume, so more expensive slightly smaller vehicle or lower margins cannibalizing full sized margins is NOT WISE no matter what one personally wants. The reason the Dakota died still remains.

NOW that said it is absolutely silly to delay the NA Rampage introduction, I can only assume that logistics and capacity is the only reason it hasn't.

Now there is room for a Dakota.... Right where the RIdgeline sits and off a better platform the STLA Large. It could be run in the WL(75) capacity Would be able to offer in EV, and Hurricane versions.

patfromigh

Reaction score
If the mid-size pickup is on the STLA large platform, it has the possibility of using a longitudinal power train for ICE powered versions. The popular small and midsize Fiat and Ram pickups for Latin America are being built at capacity. They are money makers in their home markets, so it isn't logical to send them here. I think the first STLA large product is the Jeep Recon due this year. That model doesn't have an ICE option, but will offer clues about the platform. I suspect all vehicles built on the STLA large platform will offer some form of electrification, whether it's mild hybrid, PHEV, or battery EV.

One reason for delay on a Ram midsize pickup is battery manufacturing capacity. Ford can't meet the demand for its hybrid models because it used up most of the battery supply on the Mock-e Mustang and Lightning pickup battery electrics. Those models, unfortunately, sit unsold on lots across the country while customers walk away. They want hybrids and are tired of waiting.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah the STLA Large already is Hurricane6 ready, that would make a screamer pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread