Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest Larry rumor claims:Panda Jeep coming to U.S., and Dodge dead 2021

AlexB

Reaction score
Might as well post this, in part I would like a reponse to see how much true/false:

Jeep "Panda"/Sub-Renegade /A-Segment/"Baby Jeep"/"Jeeptser"etc is coming to the States instead of being International only. If so FCA would creating brand new class in U.S. but will dilute the Jeep brand?: http://www.autonews.com/article/20180917/OEM04/180919834/jeep-future-product-jeepster

And Dodge:http://www.autonews.com/article/20180917/OEM04/180919835/dodge-future-product-journey-durango

I find his Journey stuff to be BS because of the significant ride/drive difference between a Jeep and an Dodge, they can't just bounce around on wheel notice of such stuff. Which why the Journey replacement is a Chrysler.

But I'm interested in you all responses.
Thanks,

Freshforged

Reaction score
Sorry but the linked artical is just plain FUD. Charger/Challenger could be killed after 2021? Yeah, and monkeys COULD fly out of my ass, but I’m not betting on it. The rest of this article is just as bad:
  • Journey replacement might be branded as a Jeep? Nah, it’s actually going to be a restyled Grand Commander and it will be marketed as a Chrysler CUV.
  • The Dodge midsized suv (ie it’s replacement for the Journey) will be a slightly stretched and restyled version of the AR Stelveo.
  • The Durango might be killed off in favor of a 3 row Jeep? Nah, it’s being retargeted at a very different market—the full-sized, body-on-frame suv buyer, albeit with a hot-rod flavor all its own.
  • Caravan on the chopping block? By golly that’s one he got right! There’s just no room in its portfolio for a minivan any longer. Expect the Pacifica and Ram passenger vans to pick up the slack.

Used to really look forward to the authors articles, but lately I’m “meh.”

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
On some slides this Jeep model is not described as A segment. It's more like A/B segment. Visibly larger than Panda but smaller than Renegade.
Imagine Brazilian Fiat Argo sized vehicle with higher ground clearance and roof line.

Freshforged

Reaction score
Let’s hope that it goes through a rigorous development. Would hope for a Samurai-style hardtop, but that might be asking too much. eTorque’d I3 would be a heck of an engine for this kinda set up though.
dreaming aside, here are a few reasons my dream A/B Jeep wont happen:
  • No suitable N/S “platature” to work with.
  • Not enough roi built into the model to develope own platform
  • Might further erode 2 door Wrangler sales
  • Would not fit well with the “cuv+” style of vehicle expected in the European market.
  • We may yet see a hardtop “Africa” style Wrangler produced along side the JT.

TripleT

Reaction score
I am a advocate of full line being NA compliant and offered ..... but I don't see it. A sized even B sized struggle in NA excluding Mexico, I see it being sold Mexico.

HotCarNut

Reaction score
Why would it be a surprise if the Durango gets canned in favor of a 3-row Grand Cherokee? They're on the same basic platform, built in the same plant, and yet the Jeep would sell better and for a higher price-point. To me, that's not a surprise. The JOURNEY replacement being a Jeep would be a HUGE surprise as everything has previously pointed to that being moved to Chrysler and a new Dodge CUV based on the Stelvio comes in.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would it be a surprise if the Durango gets canned in favor of a 3-row Grand Cherokee? They're on the same basic platform, built in the same plant, and yet the Jeep would sell better and for a higher price-point. To me, that's not a surprise. The JOURNEY replacement being a Jeep would be a HUGE surprise as everything has previously pointed to that being moved to Chrysler and a new Dodge CUV based on the Stelvio comes in.
The concept of the current Durango will move to Jeep as the Durango moves to the BoF Ram platform. It's all a matter of how these authors word things. In this case, it's for attention since negative articles are more popular than positive ones.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Fiat doesn't sell well in NAFTA... all they are now is entry level cars to get young buyers in the dealership. Renegade will be the smallest Jeep sold here. But FCA does have plans for an A-Segment Jeep for India, China and Europe.

AlexB

Reaction score
Oh it could.... Brazil and what not. Just stating the obvious.
Playing "advocate", how long before Brampton needs a serious, over $1 billion mass overhaul (he put Brampton as the uncertain element)?

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
He's an idiot.

Uhm. I will just say than AN and AN Europe had lost their credibility long time ago. Actually I don't know if AN Europe had any.

Fiat doesn't sell well in NAFTA... all they are now is entry level cars to get young buyers in the dealership. Renegade will be the smallest Jeep sold here. But FCA does have plans for an A-Segment Jeep for India, China and Europe.

A segment Jeep most likely not for China.

Actually certainly not. If you listen 5 year plan Q&A session.

Chinese people are in love with big cars if they are imports.
Small and cheap end of the market is dominated by Chinese brands.

I can see this A/B segment Jeep in Europe and India. Maybe in Brazil.
But in Brazil these segments will be also covered by Fiat.
It seems that Fiat Toro is a big hit there and Fiat will also add Low D segment 3 row Small Wide based CUV for Brazil.

TripleT

Reaction score
LATAM is more than Brazil.... A segment cars are popular on the West coast as are American Marques.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
LATAM is more than Brazil.... A segment cars are popular on the West coast as are American Marques.

Of course it is. But FCA is strong in Mercosur part of LATAM. Mercosur members are Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

So FCA is developing cars for Mercosur consumption.

It's similar in EMEA region where all is planned for EU+EFTA and Turkey. Other markets are not important for FCA. Maybe some parts of Middle East.

AlexB

Reaction score
Of course it is. But FCA is strong in Mercosur part of LATAM. Mercosur members are Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

So FCA is developing cars for Mercosur consumption.

It's similar in EMEA region where all is planned for EU+EFTA and Turkey. Other markets are not important for FCA. Maybe some parts of Middle East.
a long 2020 model year and between the current generation and next generation cars...
So Larry stuck not once, not twice , but stuck out on almost all.
Sub Renegade will be sold every where but U.S.,Canada (maybe not Mexico and China).
The long 2020 model year run is with downtime is what throwing him off it seems.
To me it seems Larry's work went downhill with the intent of the GM Merger when FCA blasted him, and his quality hit rock bottom with "Damn the Demon"article and since then Exor has kind "shadow ban" him.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
So Larry stuck not once, not twice , but stuck out on almost all.
Sub Renegade will be sold every where but U.S.,Canada (maybe not Mexico and China).
The long 2020 model year run is with downtime is what throwing him off it seems.
To me it seems Larry's work went downhill with the intent of the GM Merger when FCA blasted him, and his quality hit rock bottom with "Damn the Demon"article and since then Exor has kind "shadow ban" him.
That's what happens when you write nothing but negative garbage that you've pulled out of thin air.

Users who are viewing this thread