Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Wagoneer S and Recon Could Feature Gasoline Powertrains

After hitting its peak in 2018, just short of a million units sold, the Jeep® brand has faced five consecutive years of decline in sales, falling south of 644,000 units last year. With a recent shake-up in Jeep management, the automaker looks to change that direction. Jeep® CEO Antonio Filosa has now taken the reins … (read full article...)

tempImagePj6kvY.png

Last edited by a moderator:

James.A

Reaction score
A 4xE I'd imagine. What about that Hurricane 500 Jeep Wrangler that was spotted but the TFL guys? Any news on that? A Hybrid Hurricane 6?

Mopar392

Reaction score
If AEV is testing the 4Xe Hurricane I6 HO with their Lvl.2, then it’s either coming soon with the current JL or the next generation.

bill burke

Reaction score
I am convinced the “all electric” straitjacket policy for any brand is a road to failure, especially if these unpopular electrics are going to be offered by dozens of brands flooding the markets with few talkers. I’ve already stated both the Wagoneer S and the Recon MUST be offer in an ICE option or they will humiliate Jeep as flops. Perhaps someone was listening.
I’ve also previously offered an easy solution, since the upcoming Cherokee will essentially share its platform with the Wagoneer S and will offer a Hurricane 6 option, then all the mechanics are there for a gasoline powered Wagoneer S right out of the box. Look, this is a time for Jeep to sell vehicles, not trumpet the extremest environmental agenda that few are buying into. I’d line up for this one on gas. Bet many others will too. Launch them with ICE options please.
I want a smaller, yet just as luxurious and snooty Wagoneer to impress my friends. Snob appeal is the thing in my neighborhood, so why not join the hip crowd in a Wagoneer ? Look, is that Mopar Willy in a expensive, exclusive Wagoneer? Snob!
Jeeps are practical but upscale works better for some shopping Wagoneers for less pedestrian reasons. Rolex required with this one.
Take my advice launch these two Jeeps with ICE options. Jeep does not need a flop on its hands when their sales have already plummeted.
Are you guys at Jeep still listening?

patfromigh

Reaction score
I don't think the timeline will allow an ICE option at launch. The stuff hit the fan in the EV cafe just recently. We're coming up on the Wagoneer S launch date really fast.The S doesn't look like a mainstream market product. It seems more like an exclusive niche vehicle like the Grand Cherokee Track Hawk. It won't be a great loss if we wait longer for an ICE option.

The Recon launch is further away and will be going against the Bronco and the fresh trio of the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and Sequoia from Toyota. Hybrid power trains are standard on the Land Cruiser and Sequoia, optional on the 4Runner. Consumers are running away from full battery electric and towards hybrids. Will a hybrid Recon arrive in time?

Mopar392

Reaction score
We know the Wagoneer S and Cherokee KM are sharing a lot.
I think adopting ICE option for the Wagoneer S at launch won't be that difficult.

bill burke

Reaction score
I don't think the timeline will allow an ICE option at launch. The stuff hit the fan in the EV cafe just recently. We're coming up on the Wagoneer S launch date really fast.The S doesn't look like a mainstream market product. It seems more like an exclusive niche vehicle like the Grand Cherokee Track Hawk. It won't be a great loss if we wait longer for an ICE option.

The Recon launch is further away and will be going against the Bronco and the fresh trio of the Land Cruiser, 4Runner, and Sequoia from Toyota. Hybrid power trains are standard on the Land Cruiser and Sequoia, optional on the 4Runner. Consumers are running away from full battery electric and towards hybrids. Will a hybrid Recon arrive in time?
Yea, I was pushing the envelope. Think a good strategy to at least announce an ICE and hybrid options are coming. They did it with the Avenger in short order, the platform is there along with Cherokee engineering, it could happen sooner than later. Follow Dodge Charger pattern, electric first followed by ICE. Why not?

James.A

Reaction score
If AEV is testing the 4Xe Hurricane I6 HO with their Lvl.2, then it’s either coming soon with the current JL or the next generation.

Maybe if electric Charger sales are bad they'll add it to the Charger portfolio? I'm very happy to hear that Wagoner S will get some ICE treatment - it's a handsome car.

TripleT

Reaction score
YES!!!!!!! Recon and KM needed so Hybrid badly to succeed.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Maybe if electric Charger sales are bad they'll add it to the Charger portfolio? I'm very happy to hear that Wagoner S will get some ICE treatment - it's a handsome car.
Im willing to bet it’s going to be like Ford’s Lightning and Mach-E. Hot at first then tank.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
I still think making everything a hybrid would be the best bet for stellantis. Still allows everything to be electrified, reduces overall emissions, allows for complete emission-free driving in full ev mode and offers tons of power and torque. The hurricane engines offer plenty power on their own, adding that gen-4 zf 8speed plug in hybrid would only increase that power and with AWD and everything else, it's kind of a no-Brainer. Stellantis is over complicating what could have been a simple roll out of new vehicles and alot of drama could have been avoided by simply offering the Charger with the base 375hp 2.0 4xe hybrid powertain, the three 3.0l hurricane powertrains(cat-1 420hp, Cat-3 550hp and Cat-X 1,000+hp) with hybrid powertrains backing them and potentially even the Nettuno 3.0l twin turbo v6 hybrid that makes 800+hp and went from there. Again adding direct connection upgrades along with jailbreak packages, super track pack, etc would have worked out more favorably than what they did. Same thing with the ram 1500. Offer the two (or three) hurricane-6 powertrains with hybrid tech and everything would have been great

TripleT

Reaction score
I still think making everything a hybrid would be the best bet for stellantis. Still allows everything to be electrified, reduces overall emissions, allows for complete emission-free driving in full ev mode and offers tons of power and torque. The hurricane engines offer plenty power on their own, adding that gen-4 zf 8speed plug in hybrid would only increase that power and with AWD and everything else, it's kind of a no-Brainer. Stellantis is over complicating what could have been a simple roll out of new vehicles and alot of drama could have been avoided by simply offering the Charger with the base 375hp 2.0 4xe hybrid powertain, the three 3.0l hurricane powertrains(cat-1 420hp, Cat-3 550hp and Cat-X 1,000+hp) with hybrid powertrains backing them and potentially even the Nettuno 3.0l twin turbo v6 hybrid that makes 800+hp and went from there. Again adding direct connection upgrades along with jailbreak packages, super track pack, etc would have worked out more favorably than what they did. Same thing with the ram 1500. Offer the two (or three) hurricane-6 powertrains with hybrid tech and everything would have been great
They are not over complicating everything, they are working on compliance. I get your solution is the best in the marketplace..... Provided that in NA they market that solution (see Hornet) but regardless 28' many states and municipalities are not leaving it to the marketplace.

Please do not say outright bans aren't until the 30s, the difference between a ban and a punitive fine that make the product unviable is semantics and government speak.

OEMs are now caught between market realities and blind government regulators. Like I keep saying in likely isn't blind as much as perfectly fine with Automotive market collapsing in their jurisdictions forcing people to no longer commute and use public transportation.

bill burke

Reaction score
Your a psychic, a mind reader, an enlightened spokesman for millions of Mopar loyalists, but like me and so many, you don’t sit on the Stellantis executive board. Yes, you know, those Ivy League types with useless degrees on their walls. These guys bought ito the green, woke agenda, perhaps intimidated, likely spineless, clearly intellectually corrupt decision making without the guts to admit their mistakes and arrogance. So it’s left to the common folk, the invisible hand of free market Capitalism to force them into a change of heart. Seems it’s happening, but as you stated, it could have been so simple to apply truth and logic to their board room from the get go. A cabal of idiots.

James.A

Reaction score
They are not over complicating everything, they are working on compliance. I get your solution is the best in the marketplace..... Provided that in NA they market that solution (see Hornet) but regardless 28' many states and municipalities are not leaving it to the marketplace.

Please do not say outright bans aren't until the 30s, the difference between a ban and a punitive fine that make the product unviable is semantics and government speak.

OEMs are now caught between market realities and blind government regulators. Like I keep saying in likely isn't blind as much as perfectly fine with Automotive market collapsing in their jurisdictions forcing people to no longer commute and use public transportation.
Electrics are not selling and the reasons why are multiple. Those reasons will likely not be remedied by 2028 or in the near future so I wouldn't be surprised to see CARB state legislation modified at some point to accommodate reality.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Good.

Looks like they want to actually sell vehicles again.

Now lets see if they price a hybrid Recon appropriately.

Please no more $70k Hornet PHEVs that just rot on dealer lots here in Canada...it has nothing to do with exchange, other OEMs can do it for less than $60k, why can't Stellantis?

Oh yeah, please sell a hybrid Compass here, and fix Compass pricing in general.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

No Hurricane H/O scheduled for Wrangler

Users who are viewing this thread