Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeep® Announces It Will Unveil A New Vehicle On November 17th:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
A V8 engine package for the Wrangler, but it is only available on the Rubicon. I'm sorry, but the people in Auburn Hills nuked the refrigerator with Demon. Offerings like this Jeep Rubicon 6.4 offer some excitement, but the story is now getting old.:sleep:

Can you provide some examples of premium engine options being offered in base trims? I'm drawing a blank. Doesn't seem like an only Auburn Hills thing

TripleT

Reaction score
Depends on what one considers a new vehicle. Adding the 392 is quite a extensive rework including systems beyond just the powertrain. It is one the advantages of this factory option.

GasAxe

Reaction score
Very awesome to have a V8, especially a SRT V8!, back in the CJ/Wrangler. The premiums should be pretty lucrative.

As long as FCA keeps hyping moderate to negligible changes as “new” vehicles, no one should expect an “all new” vehicle like the 3 row GC to arrive unannounced.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Can you provide some examples of premium engine options being offered in base trims? I'm drawing a blank. Doesn't seem like an only Auburn Hills thing

The Wrangler has a few high line trim options. The Rubicon is a specialized trim which is sometimes considered high line when optioned correctly. Jeep, as a brand, considers the off-road focused Wrangler Rubicon to be the ultimate expression of a Jeep vehicle. The elements that make up the Rubicon compromise that model for other everyday tasks. There are those who want a V8 Wrangler, but don't want a Rubicon.

Now as far as premium engines in other trims. Chevrolet offers their top truck V8 in baseline trim pickup trucks. Ford offers their Raptor drivetrain in a few other F-150 trims, while they aren't the base models, it still shows up in other trims.

The Jeep Wrangler 4Xe drivetrain is offered on three different trim levels, and the 4Xe is a premium drivetrain option.

patfromigh

Reaction score
If FCA really wants to have something new for Jeeps and Rams, they could offer a transfer case with a 48V motor. That would work well with the 6.4 Hemi, but not in a Rubicon. Vendors have been showing such designs, this is not strictly fantasy.

TripleT

Reaction score
Wise marketing if your really going to want the V8 your going to pay and you will notice that almost all the aftermarket conversions are on serious trail machines not for a drag trucks.

As for the Chevy... .they are getting there clock cleaned in a highly competitive area, Wrangler just now has a single competitor. No need to move downline with that powertrain. Maybe the Truck version but not the SRT version.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Wrangler has a dozen different trims at this moment. The Rubicon 392 is really its own special trim. I'm not saying Jeep should offer the 6.4 on the cheap, but I would think a package like the Mojave found on the Gladiator would have been a better fit. Does everybody who wants a 392 need the rock-trac transfer case?

IMO, a Wrangler Mojave would be a great package to place the 6.4 into. If people are paying the bucks for high powered rock crawlers, then Jeep chose wisely.

MJAB

Reaction score
I image that for SRT B8 are needed the stronger axles (as for diesel versions).
It is some time now that FCA first introduces new vehicles or novelties first in top trim levels and than also in other trim levels.
I could guess that they will offer the V8 also in other trim levels after some time.

It always depends on marketing department, for example european Jeep Wrangler has same pricelist for Sahara and Rubicon (the oprions are different in the two trim levels). Same pricelist also for the powertrains being gasoline 2.0 turbo or 2.2 4 cylinders diesel.

The ideal would be the 2.2 4 cylinders mild hybrid 48V with electric motor coupled to the transfer case.

TripleT

Reaction score
Gladiator Mojave does make sense for next to get it. But that is longer wheel base that is good for desert running.

patfromigh

Reaction score
A Mojave package doesn't exist for the Wrangler, but such a model would be great with the V8. A Gladiator Mojave with the 6.4 would cause the same dilemma I have with the Ram Rebel. I have absolutely no reason or need for such a vehicle, but I want one anyway.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The Wrangler has a few high line trim options. The Rubicon is a specialized trim which is sometimes considered high line when optioned correctly. Jeep, as a brand, considers the off-road focused Wrangler Rubicon to be the ultimate expression of a Jeep vehicle. The elements that make up the Rubicon compromise that model for other everyday tasks. There are those who want a V8 Wrangler, but don't want a Rubicon.

Now as far as premium engines in other trims. Chevrolet offers their top truck V8 in baseline trim pickup trucks. Ford offers their Raptor drivetrain in a few other F-150 trims, while they aren't the base models, it still shows up in other trims.

The Jeep Wrangler 4Xe drivetrain is offered on three different trim levels, and the 4Xe is a premium drivetrain option.

Incorrect on both of your examples. GM's "premium" V8 (the 6.2) has historically only been offered in their highest trims. Only recently has it been added to some mid-term trims (RST, LT and custom trail boss). It is not available in baseline trim as you indicate (WT). GM trucks also has no halo vehicle

The Ford raptor HO 3.5 was only added to another of Ford highest trims levels (F150 limited) for 2019. It added dual exhaust as well (i've only seen 1 in person). New for 2021 hybrid option is available down to XL but only crew cab configurations. They have yet to announce 2021 Raptor halo vehicle or what i expect to be its drivetrain but rumors are it will have 2 options - likely H.O. 3.5 hybrid and a halo limited edition run of GT 500 supercharded V8

SRT 6.4 as a premium option i would not expect on lower trims. If the 5.7 was offered i would have expected that on lower wrangler trims as it is elsewhere.

Note that the Rubicon 392 has pulled some things from other trims like Overland. This is currently the halo wrangler like TRX is the halo Ram 1500.

I would agree gladiator mohave would be a perfect premium trim for the 392 to be added to create a "halo" gladiator - i'd expect this will come if/when Ford adds a Ranger Raptor. Currently GM ZR2 does nothing extra in the engine bay nor does Tacoma TRDpro so there is little reason for Jeep to lay down the gauntlet yet on gladiator unfortunately.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
The Wrangler has a dozen different trims at this moment. The Rubicon 392 is really its own special trim. I'm not saying Jeep should offer the 6.4 on the cheap, but I would think a package like the Mojave found on the Gladiator would have been a better fit. Does everybody who wants a 392 need the rock-trac transfer case?

IMO, a Wrangler Mojave would be a great package to place the 6.4 into. If people are paying the bucks for high powered rock crawlers, then Jeep chose wisely.

I think the only thing they could have done in addition on this wrangle rubicon 392 would be using gladiator mohave shock set up with the jounce bump stops. However with a vehicle this short of a wheelbase and highish center of gravity, you don't exactly want to promote high speed desert running/jumping. As it is the monotube fox shocks act as a deterrent of sorts going too fast over rough terrain that would increase the probability of a roll-over event.

TripleT

Reaction score
I think the only thing they could have done in addition on this wrangle rubicon 392 would be using gladiator mohave shock set up with the jounce bump stops. However with a vehicle this short of a wheelbase and highish center of gravity, you don't exactly want to promote high speed desert running/jumping. As it is the monotube fox shocks act as a deterrent of sorts going too fast over rough terrain that would increase the probability of a roll-over event.

Thanks for explaining it in a longer form. The Wrangler even in the 4 door is not suited for desert racing is a Halo Billi GOAT. The wider track and longer wheelbase on Mojave Gladiator would be good candidate for the 392, but how many Halo Desert runners does the company need? I suppose a second to compete with a Raptor Rangler like you said but.... that doesn't exist yet.

Users who are viewing this thread