What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane for JL Wrangler?

danzy55

Reaction score
With the slight exterior / interior refresh 2024 safe to assume 2025 might bring the 3.0 inline hurricane to JL and JLU and retire the 3.6?

Hurricane 4 is the replacement for the 3.6. Hurricane 6 SO is the replacement for the 5.7 and the Hurricane 6 HO is replacement for 6.4. I imagine it will be install eventually as replacement for the Apache model.

Hurricane 4 is the replacement for the 3.6. Hurricane 6 SO is the replacement for the 5.7 and the Hurricane 6 HO is replacement for 6.4. I imagine it will be install eventually as replacement for the Apache model.
How about Hurricane 6 SO? I'm interested in it. As I know, the SO variant can deliver enhanced power and torque. It's more than 400 hp. But, I don't know if it's correct or not.

392 at the moment wouldn't take much to tune it over 400 in the coming years even from the OEM.

There's more to the equation than power. They would look at fuel economy as well when making that decision. We're already seeing the 3.0TT produce lower MPG than the 5.7 Hemi in the real world tests being shown on YouTube and other reviews online, so it's a guarantee that the 3.0TT would produce considerably less MPG than the 3.6 Pentastar. While it would be awesome to have 400 HP in a Jeep that's somewhat affordable, I seriously doubt Jeep would be interested in replacing the 3.6 with an engine that drinks gasoline like a bad habit, especially when the competitors' SUVs and midsize pickups are getting better economy with each iteration.

So far the 3.0 Hurricane 6 just uses a clunky stop/start. There has yet to be a mild hybrid version or even the BSG. I can't imagine Jeep or Ram would want to continue with that once Kokomo is producing the newer 8-speeds.There is an untouched fuel efficiency potential in the Hurricane six with electrification.

3.6 already has a replacement Wrangler never had 5.7 … clickbait YouTubers with a heavy foot in the massive Wagoner isn’t a proper comparison but quicker by a lot is. Those driving Wrangler interested in economy get 4xE. Those want ultimate grunt get the 392. The HO will be proper replacement

With the slight exterior / interior refresh 2024 safe to assume 2025 might bring the 3.0 inline hurricane to JL and JLU and retire the 3.6?

The GME-T6 won't be in the Wrangler as far as I know. I think its too long to package, similar to the issue with the Grand Cherokee.

The GME-T6 won't be in the Wrangler as far as I know. I think its too long to package, similar to the issue with the Grand Cherokee.
I thought the Grand Cherokee, with the long hood, was designed to handle the size of the inline 6.

No the package would have to have a completely redone engine bay layout with different engine mounts and what not.

Am not sure where to 'park' this question. Just got word that there will be no automatic Pentastar two-door Jeep Willys? Why? Is this temporary? Will the auto return to the two-door Willys?
Am devastated as was saving to get a 2025. Worried.
Can anyone answer without getting into trouble?

Am not sure where to 'park' this question. Just got word that there will be no automatic Pentastar two-door Jeep Willys? Why? Is this temporary? Will the auto return to the two-door Willys?
Am devastated as was saving to get a 2025. Worried.
Can anyone answer without getting into trouble?

Pure speculation at this point, but the Pentastar engine is getting old. All the changes you're seeing in the U.S. market is solely emissions driven. I personally believe they are going to slowly phase out the 3.6 P-star going forward.

Pure speculation at this point, but the Pentastar engine is getting old. All the changes you're seeing in the U.S. market is solely emissions driven. I personally believe they are going to slowly phase out the 3.6 P-star going forward.
The I-6 am guessing?
My main concern is the auto with the "V" or "I" 6 engine.
Will it be available on the 2025 Willys or maybe 2026?

The upgraded 2L Hurricane4 is by far a superior powertrain
I haven't driven one(and most likely need to do so), but how would you describe the turbo lag and off/on again acceleration such as when in heavy traffic? Just trying to gain opinion and further understanding.
No wish to get ANY one in trouble, but can anyone shed light if the I-6 with automatic will be an option for the two-door Jeeps with the Dana, ahem, 210/220mm front/rear axles?

Well the upgraded 4 isn't available yet and mine is 4xE but by looking at the torque curves, I have noticed no turbo lag but I also don't have a torque converter.

i6 prototype was spotted from AEV ..... the SD version is an upgraded replacement for the Eagle that was never offered in JL. The four cylinder is the Pentastar replacement.

We saw the maximum potential in the Pentastar in the Alfa and it was more than a bit problematic when pushed hard but 550 was pretty impressive, have to take the front end off the car at 50K was not.

I imagine V6 6spd would be value model option.

I haven't driven one(and most likely need to do so), but how would you describe the turbo lag and off/on again acceleration such as when in heavy traffic? Just trying to gain opinion and further understanding.
No wish to get ANY one in trouble, but can anyone shed light if the I-6 with automatic will be an option for the two-door Jeeps with the Dana, ahem, 210/220mm front/rear axles?

I got a '18 or '19 model JL Wrangler as a loaner once while my Jeep was in the shop. It had the 2.0T engine. I was extremely impressed with power and MPG. Felt very strong, much stronger in "feel" than the 3.6 P-star engine. MPG was also great as I saw low 20s while I had it, compared to high teens with the 3.6.

The issue with the 2.0T is that it's another typical Euro engine. Horrible engineering and design. Oil leaks are rampant, timing issues, you name it. They aren't holding up to high mileage. My buddy who runs a repair shop said he got one in two weeks ago with 65k miles or so on it. Engine made awful noise. Turned out it needed timing components. Said it was a 20 hour job to do a timing chain on that POS.

If you look at the new 3.0T am I seeing correctly that the water pumps are becoming an issue on the H.O. version and it's a 14 hour job to replace the water pump??

Now that Hemi is gone, I'm having a really hard time buying anything from this company. I've had enough experience with European engines to know that I don't ever want another one in my driveway.

I got a '18 or '19 model JL Wrangler as a loaner once while my Jeep was in the shop. It had the 2.0T engine. I was extremely impressed with power and MPG. Felt very strong, much stronger in "feel" than the 3.6 P-star engine. MPG was also great as I saw low 20s while I had it, compared to high teens with the 3.6.

The issue with the 2.0T is that it's another typical Euro engine. Horrible engineering and design. Oil leaks are rampant, timing issues, you name it. They aren't holding up to high mileage. My buddy who runs a repair shop said he got one in two weeks ago with 65k miles or so on it. Engine made awful noise. Turned out it needed timing components. Said it was a 20 hour job to do a timing chain on that POS.

If you look at the new 3.0T am I seeing correctly that the water pumps are becoming an issue on the H.O. version and it's a 14 hour job to replace the water pump??

Now that Hemi is gone, I'm having a really hard time buying anything from this company. I've had enough experience with European engines to know that I don't ever want another one in my driveway.
Understand and all good points that are of definite interest. Thank you WXman.
Appears I'll stick with the tried and true Pentastar then. Am trying to snatch-up a Wrangler deal at this moment.
Thank you again!

Understand and all good points that are of definite interest. Thank you WXman.
Appears I'll stick with the tried and true Pentastar then. Am trying to snatch-up a Wrangler deal at this moment.
Thank you again!
The PentaStar has been far from problem free, and it been made forever at that. For its time it was a great engine.

The reality is to meet new emission standards DI is going to be standard across the board, the Hemi couldn't handle the internal pressures already without having dislodged heads and has lonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg history of valvetrain issues, many shops considering it as bad and expensive to fix as any EU engines. We just all end up with our own biases and prejudices. The Pentastar can't either its maximum potential was seen in the Alfa's with mix results and quite involve maintenance schedule.

I have had 2 of the 2.OL engines in a Stelvio and in my JGC and have found them to be nice powerplants. Buddies have them in AEV, Rubicon and Rubicon.... biggest problem they had was 12V batteries and mud-soaked alternator.

In general to get high performance ICE it going to be Turbo ... DI in the future and people will look back and think of the Penastar like the lazy straight sixes of the past but without the actual durability that the AMC and Slant achieved.

Better act fast though the future is an engine detached from the drive train, they will all be lazy just powering the generator to power the Electric motors. It will be interesting to see how the works in a Wrangler and maintains solid axles.

Back