Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EVs are dead

scatpack_69

Reaction score
...we crown a new #1 who isn't exclusively BEV but is nonetheless a juggernaut in the space with constant new model releases.
One big problem with that though.
I’m not sure what inroads Chinese cars make in America. I hope minimal but hey, I can see a point where one could hop on Amazon and order a BYD. I hope not but…..

Of course I recall vividly seeing my first Kia back in the ‘90’s and wondering what on Earth it was. Same with Daewoo. Daewoo is dead but Kia is all of a sudden, last several years, making a serious push.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Well it seems the Green Shirts are after some automakers for using the "F" word. No, not that F word, the word here is flexible, as in flexible platforms. Flexible means an auto company is hedging their bet by engineering an IC engine alternative with a given platform. Automakers are supposed to follow the party line and build the skateboard style battery electric chassis. That way there is no chance of back sliding into offering a combustion alternative.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
I’m not sure what inroads Chinese cars make in America. I hope minimal but hey, I can see a point where one could hop on Amazon and order a BYD. I hope not but…..
This aged well so far.

I think the only Chinese carmaker who had a proper US plan before this was Nio. Don't know if this'll deter them much since their cars will probably end up expensive anyways..

TripleT

Reaction score
The only true way that EV will make a large inroads in the population dense CARB states is with the Sub-A Panda sized 4 door 2 box models like commonly offered by the Chinese manufacturers. There is NO manufacturing model were construction and assembly without great governmental subsidization can these be made in NA. Simply are too cheap to have enough Margin attached to make money when you take on marketing, distribution, and other administration costs with the Manfacturing and material costs.

Both Candidates from the UniParty the Leftist Meat Puppet and Orange Populist are intent on China being the latest bogyman like Japan, Taiwan, Mexico and Korea before them. When truth is SEA is new trade bogyman. Solution being Taxing the American Consumer to restrict trade instead of true trade limits. Go figure.

So the one side same coin through the Administrative State and State governance is forcing a solution to a miniscule fractional issue with the emission of gas critical to life on earth, The other is using it a wedge issue to draw union workers Votes. The only Mass and affordable EV transportation solutions are on the way to be Taxed out of affordability in the form of Tariffs.

At the same time the true solution that they secretly want Mass Transit crumbles and are unsafe to use.

Make living rural and not in CARB state seem extremely wise.

patfromigh

Reaction score
This is what ticks me off about the tariffs, we lose out on the new Fiat Panda family. I suspect some Leapmotor pieces are going to find their way into these future Fiat products. It would have been nice to see some affordable vehicles in the lineup.

With a focus on producing the next-generation Panda for a worldwide audience, FIAT states that the new Panda and its variants will be available with electric, hybrid, or internal combustion powertrains. Moreover, FIAT asserts that each vehicle has been designed for production in any region globally, raising questions about whether the Panda will be introduced to the North American market. However, FIAT has not provided a definitive answer on this matter.

I find it extremely ironic that the now democratic Eastern European countries are to provide some of these products for Fiat, but it's the Politburo here in the USA that forces the decision on allowing these products to be sold stateside.

WXman

Reaction score
I still think there are only two things holding EVs back. Price and charge time.

When you can buy an EV that costs the same as the gas model and you can go from 15% to 100% charge in 5 minutes THAT is when people will take EVs seriously.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
This aged well so far.

I think the only Chinese carmaker who had a proper US plan before this was Nio. Don't know if this'll deter them much since their cars will probably end up expensive anyways..
What do you mean? Can you buy one on Amazon or…?

We still don’t know what inroads China makes. Dude, my post was literally two weeks ago

TripleT

Reaction score
I still think there are only two things holding EVs back. Price and charge time.

When you can buy an EV that costs the same as the gas model and you can go from 15% to 100% charge in 5 minutes THAT is when people will take EVs seriously.
The Sub-A with a 150 Kilometer battery in China can be had for around $6K ,,,,,,,, and because of the small battery and efficiency due to weight they Charge in reasonable time. Understand how better charge 15% to 80% is more reasonable expectation. In theory an EV is less complex than an ICE model so Cheaper to build.

I am convinced that public transport is there only solution, that all this EV stuff just window dressing because any real solution is taxed out of viability.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
What do you mean? Can you buy one on Amazon or…?

We still don’t know what inroads China makes. Dude, my post was literally two weeks ago
Moreso the 'minimal' bit of your reply.
What else happened during those two weeks? Biden essentially told the Chinese to beat it. 100% tariffs on their cars plus I believe 25% on batteries coming from China.

And shoot, I wish the Amazon dream was reality right now...

TripleT

Reaction score
This is the same Biden Administration that has not approved mining rights in NA. So, the UniParty is basically through edicts and taxation banning the only Economically via path conversion.

Especially for low-income people. The interruption the market is horrible in every direction and multiple departments.

I am not the fond of outsourcing the automotive business to China but CARB states and Biden EPA have basically ended the cheap gas cars, and the same time the Uniparty is banning the only economical EV options.

How can the end goal not all to Public Transport?

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
I hate to criticize the above post, but there are a few points which need clarifying. The animated corpse issuing his pharaonic projects and spending schemes from the Oval Office has just pulled the plug for all the coal leases on federal lands. We still get a lot of our electricity from coal. Remember this administration started the term by cancelling energy pipeline projects, including natural gas. Our energy infrastructure is in desperate need of repair and upgrading, yet the federal government spent $7.5 Billion USD for EV charging stations, and have so far only managed to have 7 operating ones with less than a dozen constructed. The massive solar panel farm being destroyed by a hail storm in Texas is old news. Yesterday tornados, along with other severe weather events, obliterated a number of electricity generating windmills in Iowa and Minnesota. that region is not called Tornado Alley for nothing.

How can the end goal not all to Public Transport?
The competition for public transit is not the automobile, but the parking space. Highway projects can no longer be used to displace the poor and underprivileged from urban areas, because it has become politically incorrect. Highway projects have been replaced by massive transit projects. The more intrusive to a neighborhood the better it is. Construction impacts over time will cause small businesses to close. Eminent domain can can be used to force people out, while other disruptions will tear apart the fabric of the community. Once the elites have their personal toy (It's usually a streetcar.), the gentrification process begins. Ethnic mom and pop restaurants are replaced with the usual Starbucks and upscale fast-food franchise eateries. Costco and Whole Foods will appear, while really cool local grocers offering hard to find items, then vanish.

The end goal is "15 minute cities", because to obtain a bus pass an individual needs to have a good credit score. One hundred years ago almost all the public transit in America was private. Government regulations contributed greatly to the demise of those private enterprises which payed taxes. The pandemic managed to kill the few remaining private transit companies. All our transit agencies are now tax liabilities, but this gives the government major control over a large segment of personal mobility.

TripleT

Reaction score
Lithium mining in Leases blocked in Minn.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Moreso the 'minimal' bit of your reply.
What else happened during those two weeks? Biden essentially told the Chinese to beat it. 100% tariffs on their cars plus I believe 25% on batteries coming from China.

And shoot, I wish the Amazon dream was reality right now...
Gotcha. I wasn’t sure where you were going ha.

TripleT

Reaction score
Only viable EV is this type of carIMG_4816.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread