Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge Is Working On A New Performance UV To Replace Journey:

Dodge Is Working On A New Performance UV To Replace Journey:
New UV Vehicle To Feature HEMI Power...

Dodge-CSUV2.jpg

TripleT

Reaction score
@TripleT

I'm not sure that Ford has ever made public document about their platforms. VAG did it, Renault did it and PSA did it. I can not remember anyone else.
For example GM has a very narrow view on what is platform.

Computational power? Very small porgress on CPU side in the last two decades. No more exponent of base 2 as once was. On the other hand GPU power...

I think it's irrelevant altogether.

FCA or a new company with whatever is name will need more commonalities and flexibility in production. Part for the faster development, part for easier moving products around to answer market demands.

That backwards. Commonality mean products that are dull one size fits all .... Compuatational power is exponential.

It does nothing for cost saving anymore .... again I have explained this in the past. The best vehicle dynamic is a vehicle optimized for it operation. Throwing in a Alfa suspension component in a Jeep means both vehicles are compromised. And what is saved? Nearly nothing other than carrying the one less part number in the system. You still need another tool or supplier to produce it. Yeah in the old day one less component was developed. But with the computational power they use the development data from the previous component and evolve it into the best component for the job.

Of course parts that don't matter to dynamics of the vehicle you reuse. But the Pat-itecture components and vehicle backbone is being and should be optimized for it application.

Common build points for manufacturing flexibility is Nobel but expensive cause, as long as again one is not compromising the vehicle integrating to achieve it.

TripleT

Reaction score
If under the new corporation the company moves back to the Ford/VW cut and past model. It will be a regressive move at best.

James.A

Reaction score
This place just became Allpar..... build points are a platform. You can have entirely new car on the same “platform” it not all semantics. Every thing is the G platform, nope. Both have development roots in the G architecture, YES ..... the platform model is dead. It’s not 1990 anymore folks. What build points will the new UV have? That was my question.

there is absolutely NO rush one the LX cars they are class by themselves and possibly the best cars ever made by FCA....
There is nothing wrong with allpar.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
That backwards. Commonality mean products that are dull one size fits all .... Compuatational power is exponential.

It does nothing for cost saving anymore .... again I have explained this in the past. The best vehicle dynamic is a vehicle optimized for it operation. Throwing in a Alfa suspension component in a Jeep means both vehicles are compromised. And what is saved? Nearly nothing other than carrying the one less part number in the system. You still need another tool or supplier to produce it. Yeah in the old day one less component was developed. But with the computational power they use the development data from the previous component and evolve it into the best component for the job.

Of course parts that don't matter to dynamics of the vehicle you reuse. But the Pat-itecture components and vehicle backbone is being and should be optimized for it application.

Common build points for manufacturing flexibility is Nobel but expensive cause, as long as again one is not compromising the vehicle integrating to achieve it.

The question is always the same. How much sharing will be between different models and how fast will they develop new models?

I'm not fan of some VAG moves. Some models on the same platform looks to similar to my eyes. I suspect there is a part sharing line doors, hood and similar. I don't like it.
But than if I look at for example 500X and Renegade they look very different to me.

But I think that all of this talk or chat has started with Giorgio Global.
It seems that Giorgio Global is is in the first place an altered Giorgio. Altered to accommodate BEV and than they've decided to use it for PHEV.
IMO.... Back at the time when they've started Giorgio project, and that's late 2012 to mid 2013, BEV was not part of their plans while PHEV was.

James.A

Reaction score
Is it? A lot of us don't share that opinion. Very xenophobic site if you ask me. Some other don't like some different aspects of Allpar.
It had its problems which seem to be much better now. Most of the "xenophobes" who had no tolerance for non-insider or non-technical POVs seem to have left that site for another. Allpar has been much better since. Much less snobbery there these days.

Back on topic, I don't see how these products can be rushed at this point. They need to bring them to market.

TripleT

Reaction score
It had its problems which seem to be much better now. Most of the "xenophobes" who had no tolerance for non-insider or non-technical POVs seem to have left that site for another. Allpar has been much better since. Much less snobbery there these days.

Back on topic, I don't see how these products can be rushed at this point. They need to bring them to market.

Why do they need to be Rushed to market? The current models are best in class, and improved every year. The LX is the least static product in the lineup. Every year has brought improvements. Change for the sake of Change in not always positive. The current Charger and Challenger are possibly the best product in Chryslers history. From a quality, performance, and capability. There is absolutely NO RUSH. Management recognizing that those products need a total redo the least.

SO Again WHY? why does the replacement Need to be brought to market. When the Current model is the best performing Chrysler product in the companies history..... The resources should be focused the SUVs for Chrysler and Dodge. And make sure the new model is a worth replacement.... and defer the cost of correcting the carry over Renault baked in issue with the facility as long as possible.

TripleT

Reaction score
The question is always the same. How much sharing will be between different models and how fast will they develop new models?

I'm not fan of some VAG moves. Some models on the same platform looks to similar to my eyes. I suspect there is a part sharing line doors, hood and similar. I don't like it.
But than if I look at for example 500X and Renegade they look very different to me.

But I think that all of this talk or chat has started with Giorgio Global.
It seems that Giorgio Global is is in the first place an altered Giorgio. Altered to accommodate BEV and than they've decided to use it for PHEV.
IMO.... Back at the time when they've started Giorgio project, and that's late 2012 to mid 2013, BEV was not part of their plans while PHEV was.

Everything moving forward has it roots in Giorgio that is in the size unibody range....

If they just cut and paste Giorgio corners into Cherokee, Charger, Cherokee XL, Chellenger, Dodge SUV .... then they will be producing a a compromised product that will be inferior to the Alfa models in every way, and possible inferior to outgoing model.

I am not into that all. They should be sent to India and Topography run per application (which I am confident that they are)

So at one point when suspension, the build points, the structure are all different do we keep calling it Giorgio?

I get that I am a bit into the weeds with my tech snobbery.... but at some point people do need to understand how far the development process has moved from the K car days. Platform model is dead.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
So at one point when suspension, the build points, the structure are all different do we keep calling it Giorgio?

I get that I am a bit into the weeds with my tech snobbery.... but at some point people do need to understand how far the development process has moved from the K car days. Platform model is dead.

You know that I'm with you on this topic.

Yes, this is very hard to explain but there are some older FCA documents, actually ex Fiat Group documents. Before 2014 officially there was no FCA.

Even products with identical build points one launched in 2005 and the other one in 2008 were a lot of different. Yesy, topographic optimization. But also more advanced materials, new steel generations are available over time.
So what @James.A said that Charger and Challenger has already been developed is just not true. Not true if they are coming out in calendar 2022 or 2023.

And on Brampton. I do believe that with new products they will need to replace carriers. Level of handling and interior room but also footprint which is important for CAFE can't be reached with current carriers. Both of us know that.

James.A

Reaction score
Except for being a dumpster fire Troll board rivaling Twitter... other than that it is awesome.
Says the guy who took the unwarranted random shot at Allpar and turned this thread into a dumpster fire of trolling. But ok.

The larger cars have not been improved year after year. They're unchanged for all intents and purposes. Painting previous years rims a new color isn't an improvement. Changing the font on badging isn't either. Adding a widebody kit to one trim isn't either. Very cool stuff on the widebody but not what you're making it out to be. Also, why then the need for a new I6 to replace the 5.7 if the cars sell so well? If they're the best cars in history? Change for the sake of change? There are plenty of reasons to update the cars (cars that they've been working on for half a decade), I read that for one thing, changes in safety regulations. The development has gone on too long to be rushed. It honestly sounds like the only dumpster fire going on is in FCA product development.

Bringing a new SUV? You mean changing the sheet metal on a Stelvio and dropping the existing powertrains into it are a reason to leave the large cars to run stale? You can use "exponentially" as many times as you want but it doesn't change anything.

TripleT

Reaction score
Says the guy who took the unwarranted random shot at Allpar and turned this thread into a dumpster fire of trolling. But ok.

The larger cars have not been improved year after year. They're unchanged for all intents and purposes. Painting previous years rims a new color isn't an improvement. Changing the font on badging isn't either. Adding a widebody kit to one trim isn't either. Very cool stuff on the widebody but not what you're making it out to be. Also, why then the need for a new I6 to replace the 5.7 if the cars sell so well? If they're the best cars in history? Change for the sake of change? There are plenty of reasons to update the cars (cars that they've been working on for half a decade), I read that for one thing, changes in safety regulations. The development has gone on too long to be rushed. It honestly sounds like the only dumpster fire going on is in FCA product development.

Bringing a new SUV? You mean changing the sheet metal on a Stelvio and dropping the existing powertrains into it are a reason to leave the large cars to run stale? You can use "exponentially" as many times as you want but it doesn't change anything.

Yes... you should take that and post it on Allpar... where it belongs. Negative falsehoods are popular there.... Thanks for bringing them here. The bobbleheads there will enjoy it.

Yes the current evolved LX cars are the best Vehicles ever made, debating between that and the current GC. Quality, performance, dynamics... all are unsurpassed in the history of the company for a Volume car. Its really not debatable. They are in a class by themselves in the marketplace which is why they are one the few surviving car. Stale ha ha ha ha ha

It funny that you think that is how it works.... you just drop a new powertrain and new Sheetmetal on a Stelvio like its a 1990 K car variance..

Last edited:

James.A

Reaction score
Yes... you should take that and post it on Allpar... where it belongs.
Dumpster fire trolling. Maybe if I used "exponentially" a few times it would make more sense. Anyway, I'm not going down this route with you. I'm done.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It funny that you think that is how it works.... you just drop a new powertrain and new Sheetmetal on a Stelvio like its a 1990 K car variance..

:LOL:

Of course it can't work that way. Some steels used on Stelvio and Giulia are not available in North America. Just to start with something.

Not to mention putting HEMI inside which article by Mike V. has suggested.

TripleT

Reaction score
And still remains what facility that it will fit into or will additional capacity be added at one of the rare but under utilized facilities.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The advent of 48V electrics in automobiles has changed the rules of the game. It first showed up for domestic vehicles in the new generations of Ram and Jeep products. A new electrical architecture isn't something that can be band-aided onto an existing product. I believe FCA still is in the process of upgrading engine production facilities as well in addition to vehicles assembly plants. There needs to be some new components available to back up any production of a new product. The current line of rear drive vehicles from Chrysler and Dodge are still competitive. They certainly aren't out of style. FCA's next generation of rear drive passenger vehicles will have electrification properly engineered and built in. This technology won't be an tacked on afterthought.

The pace of change in the automotive world is now quite rapid. It is better to hold on to an existing product than to rush the wrong product into production. Anyone remember the introduction of the old Chrysler Corporation's new generation of full size cars in the autumn of 1973? I would hate to see that repeated. Sedans as four door pony cars flopped in the marketplace because consumers expect utility. The Dodge Charger and Challenger, as well as the Chrysler 300 have that. These cars also are comfortable, unlike many of the competitors' soon discontinued sedans.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yes Like I said before we don't need a model year 1974 moment.

or the mess at Ford right now.

ViperDave

Reaction score
Ok, getting back on track. What is the rumored name. A fresh , not rehashed name would be welcome.

OMG just done be Barracuda!!!!

TripleT

Reaction score
Anvil? Arrow? Avenger? Conquest? Deluxe? Raider? Phoenix? Rampage?

Users who are viewing this thread