Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compass Refresh is pretty impressive... climbs upscale

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Oh my. What an improvement. Just some subtle changes on the exterior and that amazing interior and it feels like a new car!

patfromigh

Reaction score
We can't wait two years for the base drivetrain to get its act together. I can understand why a PHEV drivetrain is further away, that is not like just installing new motor mounts. There is much that has to be changed along the production line as well as the vehicle modifications.

That said, the 2.4 Tigershark/9-speed combo just doesn't cut it anymore. The 9-speed with the V6 in the minivans is great, the engineers kept their pencils sharp when they fixed that combo. Can they perform the same magic with the 1.3 GSE-T/9-speed ? The 2.4 Tigershark lacks low end torque and unfortunately the Multi-Air head seems to restrict the top end. I've driven some 2.4s that fell great, but other 2.4s have no response whatsoever.

I don't know what the Compass refresh for North America will have for drivetrain choices, but I'm hoping for a better base engine transmission combination.

TripleT

Reaction score
Only by then in the US??
Why? I think that's short-sighted.
Will they change the base engines in the US?
Demand is not there, and it is a different manufacturing capacity that will need upgraded including the part capacity. 2023 is 18 months away. It not that long in the car world. People are probably scrambling to make that now.

Jeeprt

Reaction score
Agree that the styling looks great but the current drive train is disappointing.

Tony K

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the direction Stellantis goes with respect to FWD platforms and unibody architecture, given the necessary divergence between Jeep and everything else. These FCA interiors really have become tops in their class, but the weight penalties that are acceptable/necessary in Jeeps - sans Giorgio tech - really would cause a Chrysler or Dodge to suffer WRT fuel economy and handling.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Overall dimensions the same, but I wonder if we'll see a new front-end? KL has a really long nose because it needed to accommodate the Pentastar. Maybe if it shifts to using I4 and I6 engines only, that could be reduced considerably. To me, that's the biggest problem with KL as a "Jeep".

With a boxier rear, maybe extended a couple of cm, KM could easily fill the gap between Compass and WL74.
Maybe keep overall length the same, but reduce the front end size for a larger cabin.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the direction Stellantis goes with respect to FWD platforms and unibody architecture, given the necessary divergence between Jeep and everything else. These FCA interiors really have become tops in their class, but the weight penalties that are acceptable/necessary in Jeeps - sans Giorgio tech - really would cause a Chrysler or Dodge to suffer WRT fuel economy and handling.

I've seen European instrumental tests and I must say that I don't see penalty for Compass in fuel economy department.

I'm talking about FWD model with a new 1.3 turbo with 150 PS and 6 speed dry DCT.
Comparison test against Škoda Karoq 1.5 TSI 150 PS with cylinder deactivation and 7 speed dry DCT.
Both performance level and fuel economy are very similar.

So I think that blame for poor North American fuel economy lies within 9 speed ZF transaxle. I'm pretty much sure about it.

Tony K

Reaction score
Overall dimensions the same, but I wonder if we'll see a new front-end? KL has a really long nose because it needed to accommodate the Pentastar. Maybe if it shifts to using I4 and I6 engines only, that could be reduced considerably. To me, that's the biggest problem with KL as a "Jeep".
Am I to infer that the GME T6 is really a VR6? Or does the T6 design reduce the length of the complete engine enough that it fits transverse with the transaxle?

Tony K

Reaction score
I've seen European instrumental tests and I must say that I don't see penalty for Compass in fuel economy department.

I'm talking about FWD model with a new 1.3 turbo with 150 PS and 6 speed dry DCT.
Comparison test against Škoda Karoq 1.5 TSI 150 PS with cylinder deactivation and 7 speed dry DCT.
Both performance level and fuel economy are very similar.

So I think that blame for poor North American fuel economy lies within 9 speed ZF transaxle. I'm pretty much sure about it.
Perhaps, but I really wasn't being specific to Compass. It's light enough being a compact crossover to start, not to mention I don't think we ever see a 1.3T. If I was driving a Compass as a day driver to work, perhaps that would be more than sufficient, but it wouldn't make for a good "holiday/vacation" car.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The Compass in the US is suffering from being built in Toluca. I don't know what it is, but anything that comes from there usually is below standards.
The 500 suffered with it, now the Compass. They should update the engine in the US to the new GSEs. Maybe even implement the 2.0 GME in it?

patfromigh

Reaction score
My Neon came from Toluca, I find the FCA products from there to be well built. The least products from Toluca were the Compass, Dodge Journey (Fiat Fremont) and Fiat 500. Since I interact with a rental fleet on a daily basis, I get to see these products up close, except for the Fiat. The Journey is just plain old. Despite its age I saw very few quality problems. The Compass suffers from the 2.4 Tigershark 9-speed automatic drivetrain. Every other Compass seemed to have middling performance despite all having the same motor and transmission. The front drive only models use an Aisin 6-speed auto.

FCA determines what products go where. It is not Toluca's fault they were stuck with the ancient Journey or the had to install a 9-speed problematic transmission in a product.

TripleT

Reaction score
Deckard, seems to be correct that plant doesn't seem to be making the same progress as others. Perhaps a bit of it is as Pat is alluding. My guess is that it needs some modernization investment.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I would also consider moving Toluca out of orbit from Auburn Hills to Brazil. The Fiat 500, Compass and Journey products were all intended for North America with some being sold elsewhere. With the success of the Mobi and Strada, I can't help but wonder maybe those vehicles should replace the Fiat 500 in Toluca. (If it's not too late.) I believe the Toro and Compass share the production line in Brazil, no reason they shouldn't do the same in Toluca. These Latin American Fiats, Rams and Jeeps are money makers, despite the fact they aren't sold here. Toluca can still provide the Compass for North America, but maybe they should stop building the Disney World specials for the rental car companies.

Mexico is spending money on infrastructure. One example is the new passenger rail line between Mexico City and the city of Toluca. There are other rail, roadway, and rail improvements going on as well. It is not limited to Mexico as other Latin American countries are making similar improvements as well. This also means some workers have more money in their pockets and will be buying new vehicles.

AlexB

Reaction score
I would also consider moving Toluca out of orbit from Auburn Hills to Brazil. The Fiat 500, Compass and Journey products were all intended for North America with some being sold elsewhere. With the success of the Mobi and Strada, I can't help but wonder maybe those vehicles should replace the Fiat 500 in Toluca. (If it's not too late.) I believe the Toro and Compass share the production line in Brazil, no reason they shouldn't do the same in Toluca. These Latin American Fiats, Rams and Jeeps are money makers, despite the fact they aren't sold here. Toluca can still provide the Compass for North America, but maybe they should stop building the Disney World specials for the rental car companies.

Mexico is spending money on infrastructure. One example is the new passenger rail line between Mexico City and the city of Toluca. There are other rail, roadway, and rail improvements going on as well. It is not limited to Mexico as other Latin American countries are making similar improvements as well. This also means some workers have more money in their pockets and will be buying new vehicles.
Nobody is building Disney world specials anymore (Margins + Covid+Chip shortage).
Brazil is now part of Auburn Hills obit by reporting to directly to Manley in Auburn Hills thanks to Carlos and John.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score

Toluca is for which markets? I mean in your opinion or vision.
Nobody is building Disney world specials anymore (Margins + Covid+Chip shortage).
Brazil is now part of Auburn Hills obit by reporting to directly to Manley in Auburn Hills thanks to Carlos and John.
Manley is sort of co-CEO for Americas.

Users who are viewing this thread