Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrysler is here to stay

TripleT

Reaction score
With CUSW/+ mostly gone, I really would like them modifying EMP2 to suit us non-Europeans.
Why? They aren't going to convert Winsor's Carriers to that, there is no way that its even big enough. If there some sort of development themes that are good I suppose that they could be adopted but anything new is going to be beyond the EMP and something inline with G themes ,,,,,

CUSW+ is what 2/3 of the Chryslers travel on at the moment, and will be 100% if something new doesn't launch before the 300 is phased out. So mostly gone is odd way to put it. There has only been 2 CUSW+ models in NA the Voyager(ca Caravan) and Pacifica

I hate to be a broken record but people seem to still think of development in the 90s where you treated everything a modules that you stretched to fit the application, instead of optimizing to the application, we are nearly a decade past anything that even resembles that.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
If I ran the Chrysler brand, here is what I would market. Please read the entire post before replying.

When Chrysler introduced the Imperial concept last decade someone quipped, "If you’re going to steal, rob a bank and not a convenience store.” Obviously Chrysler wasn’t going to step up to the Bentley and Rolls price range with the Imperial. The car was knockoff, but it was also brilliant. Sedans are now out out and the real Imperial replacement will be the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

I propose the Chrysler brand should make a knock off of the Maybach SUV. This vehicle doesn’t have to have the same wheelbase or even be rear drive based. if Chrysler is going to be the people mover brand, the interior must be more family friendly, the kids don’t need the rear reclining seats with power leg rests. The upholstery should also be child and pet friendly. One look at the top trim Pacifica minivans shows this brand already knows how to do this. Chrysler can go with the chrome and sparkle, and be careful with the color palette to create the “look.” I wouldn’t venture out of the price range or market position the Chrysler brand currently occupies.

Please note the platform and where to build such a thing are unanswered questions, but if I was in charge of badge engineering the Peugeot 5008 SUV this is the direction I would go.

If i was then given the task of badge engineering other PSA products, I would go with the Peugeot e-2008 battery electric SUV, but restyled for American tastes. A project with a more serious risk would be badge engineering the Peugeot 508 hybrid station wagon. The risk would mostly be being seen as reminding people of the failed Opel/ Buick sport station wagon from recent history. For Chrysler use, the 508 would need a domestic gas engine. The vehicle would also need a Subaru Outback theme along with a crossover stance. Fiat has offered some Outback like wagons in Brazil and they looked great, but are far too small for American driving conditions.

cgseller

Reaction score
I propose the Chrysler brand should make a knock off of the Maybach SUV. This vehicle doesn’t have to have the same wheelbase or even be rear drive based. if Chrysler is going to be the people mover brand, the interior must be more family friendly, the kids don’t need the rear reclining seats with power leg rests. The upholstery should also be child and pet friendly. One look at the top trim Pacifica minivans shows this brand already knows how to do this. Chrysler can go with the chrome and sparkle, and be careful with the color palette to create the “look.” I wouldn’t venture out of the price range or market position the Chrysler brand currently occupies.
I think you may have hit on a niche. People mover, already been stated. The key in your statement was the kid friendly, family friend, durable. American's love disposable things - but their cars, they still like to keep them for a while. While some car for their car, on-the-go families eat meals in the car on the way to practice, travel games, events. Jeep is the durable go anywhere outdoor vehicle. Chrysler is the durable do anything inside vehicle. Video entertainment is used by a good % of consumers. Eating, games, charging, cleaning, storage is another big thing. That suggests you are not targeting the sedan market, but that does not mean you can not continue to have a sedan that is good for people inside. Learn from the 200's low rear entry (although the rest of the interior was great) and make a durable, friendly vehicle for families. Continue to make your Quality and Safety leading, and learn how Kia went from bottom to leading. It takes focus, direction, small milestones, and time. Can't shift your long term destination every few years, but you can shift your milestones and waypoints along the way as markets shift.

AlexB

Reaction score
I think you may have hit on a niche. People mover, already been stated. The key in your statement was the kid friendly, family friend, durable. American's love disposable things - but their cars, they still like to keep them for a while. While some car for their car, on-the-go families eat meals in the car on the way to practice, travel games, events. Jeep is the durable go anywhere outdoor vehicle. Chrysler is the durable do anything inside vehicle. Video entertainment is used by a good % of consumers. Eating, games, charging, cleaning, storage is another big thing. That suggests you are not targeting the sedan market, but that does not mean you can not continue to have a sedan that is good for people inside. Learn from the 200's low rear entry (although the rest of the interior was great) and make a durable, friendly vehicle for families. Continue to make your Quality and Safety leading, and learn how Kia went from bottom to leading. It takes focus, direction, small milestones, and time. Can't shift your long term destination every few years, but you can shift your milestones and waypoints along the way as markets shift.
But Jeep isn't just'' the durable go anywhere outdoor vehicle'' ......notice the marketing uses the ''Adventure'' . The crew cab pickup are the current day family vehicle in the U.S.

cgseller

Reaction score
But Jeep isn't just'' the durable go anywhere outdoor vehicle'' ......notice the marketing uses the ''Adventure'' . The crew cab pickup are the current day family vehicle in the U.S.
In part, I believe you are correct. However, 10-20% of the market is still a sedan of some sort; and if you can capture that market by appealing to the consumers, you can make a profit (which is all stockholders care about). I agree you can't just badge engineer and beat out the remaining players. You have to be bold, targeted, and commit. Iacocca quoted, "lead, follow, or get out of the way", and I suggest in todays markets, you can't follow and make a profit in those classes .... but to put all your eggs into a big vehicle market positions you in 1976 territory....

reference: U.S. car market: by vehicle type | Statista

AlexB

Reaction score
In part, I believe you are correct. However, 10-20% of the market is still a sedan of some sort; and if you can capture that market by appealing to the consumers, you can make a profit (which is all stockholders care about). I agree you can't just badge engineer and beat out the remaining players. You have to be bold, targeted, and commit. Iacocca quoted, "lead, follow, or get out of the way", and I suggest in todays markets, you can't follow and make a profit in those classes .... but to put all your eggs into a big vehicle market positions you in 1976 territory....

Actually no.
To use John's words (back in December)...........North America has been ''transformed'' by the decisions made in 2015-2016 .

TripleT

Reaction score

there is no profit or room in the already over capacity Sedan market. NONE.... no one in the position of responsible would give go ahead. I still not sure why this is hard to understand. No one is profiting in segment. You can out cheap the Asians in the box, you won't out Honda ... Honda and Toyota... who are firing people over the decision to be so dependent. Ford couldn't even figure out how to make money in the segment manufactured made anywhere and sold here.

I get it some people still like people movers sedans but mostly because they are good value... because there is NO margin on them. They are made to keep operational efficiency up.

No one says to put all your eggs in large vehicles. Just tall ones. With efficient formats. Sedans still have a niche. High end and high performance.

please don't point volume.... Yes Sedans are still over capacity, that is argument against the me too failure.

Tony K

Reaction score
I think you overstate the amount of people driving 4DR pickups nationwide, which are still only about 1/3 of all vehicles sold, many of which are fleet vehicles, and second vehicles in a 2+ car household.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The small economy car market is a dead end. Between the zero emissions mandate and the CAFE rules, selling low profit vehicles at high volumes no longer makes sense. During each energy price spike, small car sales would shoot up in the panic and then drop when everything cooled off. The current hot ticket is the hybrid F-150. It will be interesting to see how the product introduction cadence of electrified vehicles from the CDJR brands stacks up against the timing with increases in fuel prices.

Does that rule out selling the Tipo in the US? I don't think so, but selling it as an entry level economy car would lead to failure. The Tipo has a five door wagon model available. Sell it here, but badge engineered and modified into a tall wagon. An excellent job was done with adapting the TOFAS built Doblo into the Ram PMC for our market.

Archknight

Reaction score
I'm curious if they have prepared any new crossover designs for Chrysler/Lancia. Since neither brand has an identity and serve different regions why not badge engineer product for them. Start with B-/C- segment crossovers, but with low slung coupe-ish like styling with a focus on on-road handling, comfort and elegant design. Maybe even take a cue from Subaru and make AWD standard across the board. I can see Chrysler stealing sales from Lincoln, Buick, Acura, Cadillac, etc.--if they given the investment they deserve.

Archknight

Reaction score
I'm curious if they have prepared any new crossover designs for Chrysler/Lancia. Since neither brand has an identity and serve different regions why not badge engineer product for them. I've mentioned powertrains as hybrids and full electrics, but the brand also needs to generate interest and capital quickly. Start with B-/C- segment crossovers, but with low slung coupe-ish like styling with a focus on on-road handlingcomfort and elegant design. Maybe even take a cue from Subaru and make AWD standard across the board. I can see Chrysler stealing sales from Lincoln, Buick, Acura, Cadillac, etc.--if they given the investment they deserve.

AlexB

Reaction score
I'm curious if they have prepared any new crossover designs for Chrysler/Lancia. Since neither brand has an identity and serve different regions why not badge engineer product for them. I've mentioned powertrains as hybrids and full electrics, but the brand also needs to generate interest and capital quickly. Start with B-/C- segment crossovers, but with low slung coupe-ish like styling with a focus on on-road handlingcomfort and elegant design. Maybe even take a cue from Subaru and make AWD standard across the board. I can see Chrysler stealing sales from Lincoln, Buick, Acura, Cadillac, etc.--if they given the investment they deserve.
Chrysler brand doesn't deserve that ''investment''.............that's like burning cash.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why? They aren't going to convert Winsor's Carriers to that, there is no way that its even big enough. If there some sort of development themes that are good I suppose that they could be adopted but anything new is going to be beyond the EMP and something inline with G themes ,,,,,

CUSW+ is what 2/3 of the Chryslers travel on at the moment, and will be 100% if something new doesn't launch before the 300 is phased out. So mostly gone is odd way to put it. There has only been 2 CUSW+ models in NA the Voyager(ca Caravan) and Pacifica

I hate to be a broken record but people seem to still think of development in the 90s where you treated everything a modules that you stretched to fit the application, instead of optimizing to the application, we are nearly a decade past anything that even resembles that.
Yeah, but those two vehicles are the exact same with different names. It may be called something else, but I would not consider Voyager different than Pacifica. It wasn't developed as a standalone model, but is instead just a rebadged version of the base Pacifica. I would not use the existence of the Voyager to prove that CUSW+ is still alive.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah, but those two vehicles are the exact same with different names. It may be called something else, but I would not consider Voyager different than Pacifica. It wasn't developed as a standalone model, but is instead just a rebadged version of the base Pacifica. I would not use the existence of the Voyager to prove that CUSW+ is still alive.

Dead would imply Zero, of Zero to come. Exclusive might be a better term.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I'm hoping Chrysler doesn't follow Cadillac. Cadillac has reached downmarket chasing sales. I realize Chrysler only has the 300 and minivans for now, but those vehicles have price ranges matching some Cadillac models. When Cadillac goes all battery electric in a few years, they think they can return to being an exclusively high-end product again. In my opinion it won't work. It sure didn't work after either the Cimarron or the Catera.

The Pacifica hybrid drivetrain has earned a lot of respect with green crowd. If there is a product coming out of Windsor that will be electrified, that plugin hybrid drivetrain would be a good fit.

During the second half of the 1970s light trucks over 6,000 lbs. GVW had less stringent emissions regulations. The domestic brands had slightly over 6,000 GVW packages that could run on any available gas, low lead or no lead. I see history repeating itself with hybrids. Last month's cold snap, which reached even into Mexico, won't soon be forgotten. The new Ford F-150 hybrid carried the day. Consumers are wary of pure battery electrics and I think they will choose hybrid models that will give them a choice to use either electricity or petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread