Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charger Daytona delayed? Prototypes supposedly failing.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score

Computer and battery problems are apparently running amuck on prototypes, not that surprising since we're dealing with the first STLA Large car.
Dealers are also supposed to get display models already according to the guy.

Most of the video is rambling about charging infrastructure (in 2017) but the stuff on mentioned are the actually noteworthy bits.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
Don't traffic these panic merchants they are completely dependent on your clicks.
True, just thought to share because this is the first I'm hearing about battery problems.
Again this isn't just the first year for a new car but for an entirely new platform, so not surprising this is allegedly happening. I'd actually be shocked if it wasn't.

TripleT

Reaction score
Hummers Bricked all the time after they were launched. Bolts similarly. Your here other stories such as this, they are computer integrated devices. All vehicles are now.

cygnus

Reaction score
Anybody notice that dumpster with sand on the shoulder of I-75 outside CTC that sat there for weeks? Wanna guess what happened there?

James.A

Reaction score
Anybody notice that dumpster with sand on the shoulder of I-75 outside CTC that sat there for weeks? Wanna guess what happened there?
A Charger Dayton prototype caught fire?

Don't traffic these panic merchants they are completely dependent on your clicks.
Does this mean there are no issues causing delays or that there are issue but not as big of an issue as he is saying? I see deflection but no denial.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Charger Daytona's biggest problem will be marketing. There is an old adage in the auto business, "You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man. I was reminded of this when I was talking to a couple of college kids we have as summer hires. Friday they were tending the charging stations when I brought in our Mustang Mock-e to get juiced up. They asked me what I thought of it and EVs in general. I said it's fine for small city cars, but cars like the Mock-e are a waste of resources. In the course of conversation they let me know they don't like large EVs because they are much too expensive and weigh too much. Young people, in general, see vehicles like the Mustang Mock-e and Charger Daytona as an old man's car, because there is a senile old man pushing these impractical EVs on everybody. It doesn't help the cause either that John Kerry, the former climate czar, is only a few years behind Joe in age. Two old men pushing their agenda on everybody, telling us what to drive. Gas fueled econoboxes are disappearing from the market and Joe slaps a massive tariff on the cheap Chinese EVs, which could have replaced them. Many young people just don't identify with electric cars like the Charger Daytona. They see such vehicles as the result of corporate executives bowing to the dictates of an angry, pontificating old man with dementia.

Will the Charger Daytona at least sell to old men? Of course not, we remember all the classic muscle cars from the past and know that a three ton lump slightly larger than a Camry just doesn't measure up, no matter how brief its 0 to 60 time is.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
The Charger Daytona's biggest problem will be marketing. There is an old adage in the auto business, "You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man. I was reminded of this when I was talking to a couple of college kids we have as summer hires. Friday they were tending the charging stations when I brought in our Mustang Mock-e to get juiced up. They asked me what I thought of it and EVs in general. I said it's fine for small city cars, but cars like the Mock-e are a waste of resources. In the course of conversation they let me know they don't like large EVs because they are much too expensive and weigh too much. Young people, in general, see vehicles like the Mustang Mock-e and Charger Daytona as an old man's car, because there is a senile old man pushing these impractical EVs on everybody. It doesn't help the cause either that John Kerry, the former climate czar, is only a few years behind Joe in age. Two old men pushing their agenda on everybody, telling us what to drive. Gas fueled econoboxes are disappearing from the market and Joe slaps a massive tariff on the cheap Chinese EVs, which could have replaced them. Many young people just don't identify with electric cars like the Charger Daytona. They see such vehicles as the result of corporate executives bowing to the dictates of an angry, pontificating old man with dementia.

Will the Charger Daytona at least sell to old men? Of course not, we remember all the classic muscle cars from the past and know that a three ton lump slightly larger than a Camry just doesn't measure up, no matter how brief its 0 to 60 time is.
The new Chargers only hope is the 550hp AWD version being extremely tunable and running 10's with ease. The AWD and hatch will make it an actual useable car as well. Its not a bad recipe but has to be marketed correctly. I have zero faith in the 6000lb EV ones which I bet will be gone in 2-3 years tops. I'd say make one for the carbon credit game but that GAME needs to be eliminated entirely, its just a wealth transfer scam.

Moparound

Reaction score
The electric vehicle concept appears to be doomed due to the current methods and lack of preparation employed to bring it to market at this time.
I know some will see positive news here and there and want to build on it. I get that.
However, you can play music all day and night to make the crowd calm, but if you on the Titanic.........
No one can deny the deterioration of the company's employee list and talent. AM NOT happy how things are going.
I care about this company; I care about its people; I care where the future lies.
The 'captain' at the helm is not the right person for the job i.m.h.o.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
The Charger Daytona's biggest problem will be marketing.
I kinda already see where the marketing will likely start at, cause I unfortunately don't see them just advertising the cars doing its thing for a first campaign.

The first proper commercials will start by going for an immediate spit in the face at who is most likely to check out the cars - younger people with manbuns at coffee shops watching their (of course debadged) Model 3 and early gen Leafs charging, and then one of the Chargers suddenly pulls up to the plugs, leaving them dumbfounded by its edgy, neo coke bottle styling (although the set surely won't have any Rivians or Ioniq 5s in sight) and the fact it makes exhaust noises, yet still needs to be plugged in like their cars. The rather older guy eventually comes out of the shop with an order for his wife, laughing at the kids checking out his ride, and does a burnout while heading his merry way, causing one of them to collapse.
Cue the last 15 second driving footage that would've just done the job well on its own, maybe joined last minute by a Sixpack with small text saying it's coming next year so Uncle Bob maybe, just maybe, hopefully waits before checking out that sweet, V8 powered Dark Horse.

Hey, you have the admit a commercial close to this was probably discussed at the latest boardroom meeting. I don't believe these guys even know how to advertise the Hornet right still.

Archknight

Reaction score
Just bring out the ICE variants that people are actually going to buy and get this moving. All these BEVs are just going to sit on lots anyway.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
It looks like all vehicle inventory is up according to : U.S. New Auto Sales | Foureyes

Anyone know the validity of their data and reporting - a new origin for me.
High interest rates will do that. There's a reason why the LX cars aren't selling super well right now, the Daytona is probably gonna have to get by with good lease deals, and it's a bit early to tell if this is to affect the Sixpack.

Back to the Daytona, one of them has been seen testing with the Wagoneer S around a week ago, didn't catch wind until now.

patfromigh

Reaction score
kinda already see where the marketing will likely start at, cause I unfortunately don't see them just advertising the cars doing its thing for a first campaign.
Remember the 3 "F's" of EV buyers, fanboys, fleets, and freeloaders. Dodge must target that audience. They'll be wasting resources going after anyone else. The Charger has very little genuine virtue upon which to sell it. The car is all make believe. As it stands now, people will soon get their virtue signaling at half price with the forthcoming cheap Jeep EV. If I ran the circus, I would create a battery electric taxi with the 4 door Charger for the fleets. It would use the same parameters as the ProMaster EV, which is enough batteries for a daily urban grind with enough level-2 charging speed for overnight charging. The Dodge marketing department should study the WIC food program. (Does that still exist?) The point is, food companies tailored some of their products around qualifying specific items for WIC program eligibility. If there are still incentives for the freeloaders to buy an EV, Dodge needs to have trims and option packages to take advantage of that.

CloversPlusCats

Reaction score
Top 'panic merchant' Butter Da Insider just gave more Intel, screenshot kinda telling all. A lot of this was supposed to happen between April and May, but now it's moved to July-August, inching close towards the end of the supposed summer release. As some know, bunch of dealers rejected the EVs for obvious reasons *cough cough* HornetandGladiator *cough* unsoldlastcallcars *cough cough*

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240611_165136_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240611_165136_YouTube.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 11

bill burke

Reaction score
Ouch ! Not what Dodge people in company and out in the world wanted to here. Let’s face it, as I commented elsewhere, the Charger Daytona Electric was a forced corporate decision, being launched at the worst time possible in the face of massive rejection of electric vehicles, that could drag down the whole brand in the process. A wise man might see the error of his ways and admit their mistake and choose a new direction. Any more evidence than this disaster in the making than these delays due to faulty electrical systems would make the change evident, but who knows ? Flip the messaging and course to oblivion and launch the gasoline powered Six Pack ASAP and try to salvage something from a corporate decision and policy that reeks of leadership compromised by incompetence and progressive political foolishness. Ouch!!!

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
High interest rates will do that. There's a reason why the LX cars aren't selling super well right now, the Daytona is probably gonna have to get by with good lease deals, and it's a bit early to tell if this is to affect the Sixpack.

Back to the Daytona, one of them has been seen testing with the Wagoneer S around a week ago, didn't catch wind until now.

Tony actually contributed to one of our articles this past week...

cygnus

Reaction score
Top 'panic merchant' Butter Da Insider just gave more Intel, screenshot kinda telling all. A lot of this was supposed to happen between April and May, but now it's moved to July-August, inching close towards the end of the supposed summer release. As some know, bunch of dealers rejected the EVs for obvious reasons *cough cough* HornetandGladiator *cough* unsoldlastcallcars *cough cough*

Butter is 100% on the mark and has correctly called it, starting in late 2022/early 2023 of what was coming down the pipe (disaster).

I'm sure the idiots in Paris/CTC see him as a panic merchant - maybe take a look at the sales tables and look in the mirror guys. Where's the 3L PHEV? BMW and Land Rover have done it - can't you guys at least what copy what they did?

Users who are viewing this thread