Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better start thinking of a new name for the Cherokees

Tony K

Reaction score
"How do you make Cyber Awareness Training bearable? Get a busty girl in a low cut Russian military costume." -Angry Cops @ YouTube

patfromigh

Reaction score
An excerpt from A World Split Apart delivered 8 June 1978, Harvard University by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

Without any censorship, in the West fashionable trends of thought and ideas are carefully separated from those which are not fashionable; nothing is forbidden, but what is not fashionable will hardly ever find its way into periodicals or books or be heard in colleges. Legally your researchers are free, but they are conditioned by the fashion of the day. There is no open violence such as in the East; however, a selection dictated by fashion and the need to match mass standards frequently prevent independent-minded people giving their contribution to public life. There is a dangerous tendency to flock together and shut off successful development. I have received letters in America from highly intelligent persons, maybe a teacher in a faraway small college who could do much for the renewal and salvation of his country, but his country cannot hear him because the media are not interested in him. This gives birth to strong mass prejudices, to blindness, which is most dangerous in our dynamic era. There is, for instance, a self-deluding interpretation of the contemporary world situation. It works as a sort of a petrified armor around people's minds. Human voices from 17 countries of Eastern Europe and Eastern Asia cannot pierce it. It will only be broken by the pitiless crowbar of events.

TripleT

Reaction score
Solzhenitsyn is a towering intellect that survived the Gulag, most didn't, his crime was fighting on the western front and see how the west even in war time lived.

Gulag Archipelago should be required reading by High School , but no way woke group would want to see the reality of where there movement lands everytime.

Tony K

Reaction score
Solzhenitsyn is a towering intellect that survived the Gulag, most didn't, his crime was fighting on the western front and see how the west even in war time lived.

Gulag Archipelago should be required reading by High School , but no way woke group would want to see the reality of where there movement lands everytime.
Jordan Peterson gave a great lecture on this giant.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Am I the only one here who has read Live Not By Lies by Rod Dreher? I can't talk about it here to much because there is a religious bent to the book. The book and its title were partly inspired by an essay of the same name by Solzhenitsyn, who was exiled from the USSR right after it was published.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
How did no one come up with

Wokester and Grand Wokester?
Instead of complaining about woke culture maybe you could read the article?

"We don't go out across America's cultural landscape [looking] for things that offend us and speak out on it," Chuck Hoskin Jr., Cherokee Nation principal chief, told Automotive News. "What happened in this case is Car and Driver reached out for comment."

Some journalists probably wanted to generate some controversy to generate more clicks in those news. I liked Car & Driver, but if they're up to these shenanigans I will stop going to that site.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can imagine the issue if it was something like Jeep Redskin or Jeep Savage, as those are derogatory words. Cherokee is the name of their tribe though, so if they have a problem with that word they should change the name of their tribe. Obviously this was a case of misunderstanding due to poor journalism, though.

I don't get the complaints about "woke" culture. Is it really so wrong to, within reason, remove offensive words and imagery? I suspect most of the people complaining have never dealt with any derogatory comments about their race/culture though. I haven't dealt with it personally either, but I can at least empathize with someone who deals with profiling on a near-daily basis and would want to make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread