Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa Romeo Tonale mule caught on the road

TripleT

Reaction score
It’s no further from your hands than the switch is on Giulia, just in a different direction.

The DNA switch is literally at you fingertips as your hand lies on the center rest, Directly beside gear selector. I do prefer a gated shifter to joystick fell that Americans seem to have issue with but should be restyled.

Reality is one doesn't really use the DNA that often but when you do you do not want to have to lean forward to use it.

Yes.... a few extra bucks should have went into it own central tower.

KrisW

Reaction score
I keep both my hands on the wheel while driving, so to me it’s not a big deal that it’s moved to the front of the shift lever rather than behind - both ways requires me to move my hand. But the position of the switch in Tonale matches where the DNA control is on Giulietta, the model that Tonale will effectively replace.

It’s hard to make any judgement about the center tunnel until more of it can be seen. Even the shifter lever is hard to make out. I suspect that, like Giulia, paddles will be offered to people who really want to shift gears as they drive, but (again, like Giulia) most drivers will put it in Drive and leave it there.

pumadog

Reaction score
Is it the same lever? I remember it worse from the clinic study. Hard to judge the central tunnel with all the cladding.

TripleT

Reaction score
I keep both my hands on the wheel while driving, so to me it’s not a big deal that it’s moved to the front of the shift lever rather than behind - both ways requires me to move my hand. But the position of the switch in Tonale matches where the DNA control is on Giulietta, the model that Tonale will effectively replace.

It’s hard to make any judgement about the center tunnel until more of it can be seen. Even the shifter lever is hard to make out. I suspect that, like Giulia, paddles will be offered to people who really want to shift gears as they drive, but (again, like Giulia) most drivers will put it in Drive and leave it there.

Well since I can drive a Manual, and that is what I learned to drive on as a kid, I instinctively lay my hand in this area.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Well since I can drive a Manual, and that is what I learned to drive on as a kid, I instinctively lay my hand in this area.
That's not very common in the US right?

What I dislike about that interior is that it is following the trend of having a tablet planted on top of the dashboard. I loved the integrated infotainment display in the Giulia and Stelvio.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
That's not very common in the US right?

What I dislike about that interior is that it is following the trend of having a tablet planted on top of the dashboard. I loved the integrated infotainment display in the Giulia and Stelvio.

I agree with you there, I no fan of the pasted tablet look. It is lazy design to me.

I really don't know the answer to the first question. I live in rural part of the country and high number of people learn to drive a manual before they are allowed to drive a car. Around here I sure it is well of quarter of drivers that CAN drive a manual

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I agree with you there, I no fan of the pasted tablet look. It is lazy design to me.

I really don't know the answer to the first question. I live in rural part of the country and high number of people learn to drive a manual before they are allowed to drive a car. Around here I sure it is well of quarter of drivers that CAN drive a manual
Man, if even in a place where you consider that a quarter of drivers being capable of driving manual is a high percentage it's no wonder manuals are dying in the US. :/
They're going in the same direction in Europe but much more slowly.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
E8972467-6ED4-4245-BECD-C67387FEB683.jpeg.6ddea8b4a79fee832e7b0eef9c249bfe.jpeg

immagine.png.b9424ee98aae50d6d7c8f164079a2049.png

The first pick is clearer.

TripleT

Reaction score
I see the issue with gates it takes significantly more real-estate that the DNA dial would fit.

KrisW

Reaction score
Any idea of what this is? (Circled) Looks a lot like the DNA selector in Giulietta/Mito/4C...
1636033769181.png

pumadog

Reaction score
Some AWD selector? And what is next to the Italian flag? I hope it stays free of piano black plastic.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Some are saying that some details are not identical as on production models. For example gear lever. I really don't know.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The infotainment display looks tacked on. And it seems similar to the one on PSA models. I'm not liking this.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Both screens from the spyshot and the clinic are tacked on.
The spyshot looks better since the screen isn’t in a plastic frame.
The dashboard design isn’t suitable for a built in screen

pumadog

Reaction score
The gear lever appears to be shorter than on the clinic photo. Still it would benefit from some more metal/design element. The middle display has smaller bezels which leads to a less rounded form. But the overall height seems to be pretty close to the clinic version. The soft design line (tan colored in the clinic) seems to run from door opener to door opener. I think in the end the cockpit will be rounder, more organic than the spy shot makes it appear because of the wrapping cutouts.

The tacked on display has 2 big benefits:
1. can easily be upgraded over the model lifetime
2. dashboard doesn't need a high, flat space, so can be lower overall

KrisW

Reaction score
I prefer the wider touchscreen from the clinic interior. (It’s the same part as used in 500e ). The spyshot seems to use the same screen as Compass refresh.

EDIT: From looking at the clinic picture, I think the mystery control may be the volume control for the stereo. It looks very like a chromed version the control in the new 500.

1636044088213.png

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
The gear lever appears to be shorter than on the clinic photo. Still it would benefit from some more metal/design element. The middle display has smaller bezels which leads to a less rounded form. But the overall height seems to be pretty close to the clinic version. The soft design line (tan colored in the clinic) seems to run from door opener to door opener. I think in the end the cockpit will be rounder, more organic than the spy shot makes it appear because of the wrapping cutouts.

The tacked on display has 2 big benefits:
1. can easily be upgraded over the model lifetime
2. dashboard doesn't need a high, flat space, so can be lower overall

True, still don't like and still is lazy interior design.

I suppose the the interior is too narrow to place the DNA where is should be as I look at it, the only way would have been to swap the gated joystick for a 2 position joystick. still am less thrilled with it.

TripleT

Reaction score
piano black always reminds me of Chinese cars but the fact is, its damn near the hardest parts to make, they basically have to be flaw free. It is truly high end from part produced perspective.

Still prefer leather, GF, a metal finish, or wood.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I prefer the wider touchscreen from the clinic interior. (It’s the same part as used in 500e ). The spyshot seems to use the same screen as Compass refresh.

EDIT: From looking at the clinic picture, I think the mystery control may be the volume control for the stereo. It looks very like a chromed version the control in the new 500.

View attachment 5431
Good eye! I think that's the volume knob, yes.

2021-jeep-compass-europe-52.jpg

Here's the Compass interior in a similar angle.

Users who are viewing this thread