Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming Charger & Challenger Discussion

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any features they'd like to see on future Charger or Challenger models, whether this generation or the next?

Personally, I'd like to see more evolution from the GT trim to become a performance bargain with extra goodies to boost output over the SXT. I'd also like to see the Challenger Hellcat fascia make its way onto the other SRT models to add some differentiation between the trim levels.

Looking forward to an open discussion about what everyone else wants to see from future iterations of these two cars.

ChallengerWidebodyDemonACC.jpg

IMG_1156.2.jpg

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
This is the MoparDex for all the important discussions in the this thread

29 - DG018_001MMi0nlcbbd95gndrq4a9jlngunrk__mid.jpg
Do you have a question about a certain aspect of current or upcoming vehicles? If you do, that's fantastic! But before you ask the question, check this index to see if it's already been asked. Don't see the answer to your specific question? Then ask away! Your question will then be linked specifically, considered by the MoparDex as a continuation of the initial discussion.

Example:

Next-gen Challenger:

-The MPG Discussion:

-Starts on page x.

-(Insert user here) had this to add concerning the MPG Discussion on page x:

With that, let the fun begin :D

Current Challenger:
65 - DG015_278CL__mid.jpg

-Short timeline for the current generation Challenger changes: https://moparinsiders.com/community...g-charger-challenger-discussion.187/#post-559

-The timeline post starts on page one with reply #5.

-2019 Challenger model lineup post: https://moparinsiders.com/community...ger-challenger-discussion.187/page-2#post-747

-The model lineup post starts on page two with reply #38.

Next-gen Challenger:

-Nothing yet.

Current Charger:
41 - DG015_321CH__mid.jpg

-Short timeline for the current generation Charger changes: https://moparinsiders.com/community...g-charger-challenger-discussion.187/#post-559

-The timeline post starts on page one with reply #5.

-2019 Charger model lineup post: https://moparinsiders.com/community...ger-challenger-discussion.187/page-2#post-747

-The model lineup post starts on page two with reply #38.

Next-gen Charger:

-Nothing yet.

Last edited:

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
I, too, would like to see the GT get a few more performance goodies. But I think a little bit of reevaluating would need to take place so that it wouldn't stop on the R/T's toes too much.

Assuming there could be a V8 GT, I feel the R/Ts should be slightly less refined than the R/Ts. Maybe a bit lighter and with slightly tighter handling. Whereas the GTs would be more like Grand Touring cars (as GT can stand for, can't remember if it does for Challenger GT models). Chargers would be the same way.

I'm getting slightly confused by the same Hellcat fascia statement. Are you saying the SRT models should get the Hellcat fascia, and the non-SRT (SXT to R/T 392 Scat Pack) should keep the regular front end? If you are then I pretty somewhat agree.

With that being said, I feel that to some extent, putting a Hellcat front end on a SRT 392 Challenger would create an imbalance between the "visual performance" of the vehicle and the actual performance of the vehicle. I feel that the normal front end perfectly suits a vehicle with engines ranging from 305 HP to 485. But 707 or 808/840? I'd be wanting a bit more in terms of aggression.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, would like to see the GT get a few more performance goodies. But I think a little bit of reevaluating would need to take place so that it wouldn't stop on the R/T's toes too much.

Assuming there could be a V8 GT, I feel the R/Ts should be slightly less refined than the R/Ts. Maybe a bit lighter and with slightly tighter handling. Whereas the GTs would be more like Grand Touring cars (as GT can stand for, can't remember if it does for Challenger GT models). Chargers would be the same way.

I'm getting slightly confused by the same Hellcat fascia statement. Are you saying the SRT models should get the Hellcat fascia, and the non-SRT (SXT to R/T 392 Scat Pack) should keep the regular front end? If you are then I pretty somewhat agree.

With that being said, I feel that to some extent, putting a Hellcat front end on a SRT 392 Challenger would create an imbalance between the "visual performance" of the vehicle and the actual performance of the vehicle. I feel that the normal front end perfectly suits a vehicle with engines ranging from 305 HP to 485. But 707 or 808/840? I'd be wanting a bit more in terms of aggression.
Yes, I am saying that all Challenger SRT models should get the Hellcat fascia while others remain the same.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone got any features they'd like to see on future Charger or Challenger models, whether this generation or the next?

Personally, I'd like to see more evolution from the GT trim to become a performance bargain with extra goodies to boost output over the SXT. I'd also like to see the Challenger Hellcat fascia make its way onto the other SRT models to add some differentiation between the trim levels.

Looking forward to an open discussion about what everyone else wants to see from future iterations of these two cars.

ChallengerWidebodyDemonACC.jpg

IMG_1156.2.jpg

Challenger GT will have both RWD and AWD versions.

Special Drag Pack model Charger and Challengers SRT HELLCAT models get added horsepower.

I told you I seen the stuff about the onboard camera.

Charger widebody should be a 2019.5 or 2020 addition as a grand hurrah to Charger.

But the cars will pretty much be the same, expect all the Demon goodies to trickle down and more tech.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Challenger GT will have both RWD and AWD versions.

Special Drag Pack model Charger and Challengers SRT HELLCAT models get added horsepower.

I told you I seen the stuff about the onboard camera.

Charger widebody should be a 2019.5 or 2020 addition as a grand hurrah to Charger.

But the cars will pretty much be the same, expect all the Demon goodies to trickle down and more tech.
Is the GT RWD getting additional features over the SXT Plus aside from suede seats?

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the GT RWD getting additional features over the SXT Plus aside from suede seats?

GT offers features paddle shifters and “sport mode.” With Sport Mode active, gear changes are quicker and revs are held higher for even more performance-oriented acceleration and higher shift dynamics. For even more control, the driver can also use the die-cast steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters and view gear election through the full-color EVIC centered in the Dodge Challenger GT AWD’s instrument cluster.

bluskye

Reaction score
GT offers features paddle shifters and “sport mode.” With Sport Mode active, gear changes are quicker and revs are held higher for even more performance-oriented acceleration and higher shift dynamics. For even more control, the driver can also use the die-cast steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters and view gear election through the full-color EVIC centered in the Dodge Challenger GT AWD’s instrument cluster.

I was hoping you were going to say that a V8 AWD was coming to the Challenger/Charger in 2019. :(

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interested to see what other changes to the front fascia are in store aside from the new grille holes.

Mopar392

Reaction score
1- Keep the manual transmission, but offer the 7speed with no lift shift.
2- Keep offering V8s in both NA and forced induction
3- Need to be both a 10second car as well as a 1.2G car.
4- Keep the interior size but reduce the overall length.
5- Charger needs to be as sleek as Audi A7 and offer a manual transmission.

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
2- Keep offering V8s in both NA and forced induction
3- Need to be both a 10second car as well as a 1.2G car.
4- Keep the interior size but reduce the overall length.
5- Charger needs to be as sleek as Audi A7 and offer a manual transmission.

1:I don't recall there being a 7-speed. Do you mean the 8-Speed Auto?

2: IIRC the Hellcat engine will continue for the next-gen cars. That's really stretching my memory though.

3: I just hope we get a proper T/A in the next generation :)

4: I believe the next-gen cars are only getting a hair shorter. If any shorter at all.

5: It's been said that the next Charger will look a little like the '99 concept (from the C-Pillar back from what I remember). So that might cover your hopes a bit.

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
1:I don't recall there being a 7-speed. Do you mean the 8-Speed Auto?

2: IIRC the Hellcat engine will continue for the next-gen cars. That's really stretching my memory though.

3: I just hope we get a proper T/A in the next generation :)

4: I believe the next-gen cars are only getting a hair shorter. If any shorter at all.

5: It's been said that the next Charger will look a little like the '99 concept (from the C-Pillar back from what I remember). So that might cover those hopes a bit.

Corvette and Porsche have 7speed manual transmission.

Cody's Car Conundrum

Reaction score
Corvette and Porsche have 7speed manual transmission.
But FCA doesn't. There's a chance the supplier of their 7-Speeds could supply one to FCA but getting it to work with their engines is a whole different story entirely. Let alone justifying the cost when FCA has a number of transmissions that work well as it is. No lift shifting is cool (excluding how bad it is for your clutch) but the Tremec TR6060 (the one in the Viper and Hellcat) is capable of no-lift shifting: https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9278-TRC-Viper-video

https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/12499-Fast-shifting!

I don't know about the other manual transmissions though. That aside, if you want no-lift shifting, there is the manual mode in the 8-Speed Auto.

The bit bolded makes it sound like FCA already has a 7-Speed to use. That's why I was slightly confused.

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, from what I've heard the wheelbase will stay the same and overhangs will shrink.

I have to wonder now whether the 2019 Charger grille will be interchangeable with the 2018...

Mopar392

Reaction score
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...o-marchionne-new-dodge-viper-not-in-the-plan/

Later during the same press conference, Marchionne offered some details on a few future Dodge and RAM models.
First, he said the next Challenger and Charger won't use the rear-drive Alfa Romeo platform that underpins the current Giulia, as was previously reported. Instead, the Charger and Challenger will get a heavily reworked version of their current platform. Marchionne said the reworked platform will be so different, "[y]ou would not recognize it." Today's Charger and Challenger ride on a platform originally developed during the DaimlerChrysler days, which itself is based on the chassis of the 1995-2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class. [\QUOTE]

Mopar392

Reaction score
That is why it should have moved to a new platform.

Users who are viewing this thread