According to the recall filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the steering gear rack bar may have been insufficiently hardened during manufacturing, possibly allowing it to bind within the steering rack, and resulting in difficulty steering or a loss of steering control.
The suspect vehicles are…
- 2021 to 2022 Dodge Durango (WD) – 172 units were built between Thursday, December 23rd, 2021 and Saturday, January 15th, 2022.
- 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK2) – 759 units were built between Sunday, January 2nd, 2022 and Saturday, January 15th, 2022.
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the steering gear assembly. The remedy for this condition is not currently available. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods. This recall is estimated to launch in Q2 of 2022.
- On January 6th, 2022, the supplier (Nexteer Automotive) notified FCA US, LLC (“FCA US”) Supplier Quality of a potential issue related to an incomplete steering gear rack bar hardening process.
- On February 4th, 2022, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization opened an investigation based on information provided by FCA US Current Production Quality.
- From February 4th, 2022, to February 23rd, 2022, FCA US TSRC reviewed FCA US and supplier records and met with FCA US engineering to review the issue and understand the part processing and delivery history.
- As of March 3rd, 2022, FCA US has identified zero customer assistance records, zero warranty claims, and zero
field reports potentially relating to this issue for all markets.
- As of March 3rd, 2022, FCA US is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially relating to this issue for all
- On March 7th, 2022, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary
safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will replace the steering gear assembly, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on May 3rd, 2022. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-852-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is Z18.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.