Some of these vehicles may have been built with an incompatible rearview camera system and radio combination that may prevent the rearview image from displaying during a backing event under certain conditions. The vehicle operator will notice that the rearview image is not displayed if attempting to reference the image while backing. If this warning is not heeded, backing without verifying it is safe to do so could lead to an increased risk of injury to people outside the vehicle.
Affected Vehicles –
|97A Recall Affected Ram Trucks|
|Model||Production Dates||# of Units|
|Ram 1500 (DT)||6/25/2021 to 8/2/2023||200,537|
|Ram 2500 (DJ)||8/7/2021 to 8/27/2023||72,359|
|Ram 3500 w/ GVWR < 10K (DF)||12/10/2021 to 6/27/2023||15|
Recall Chronology –
- On June 9, 2022, FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) filed a Noncompliance Information Report for FCA US Recall ID Z47 (NHTSA Recall ID 22V-407) relating to FMVSS No. 111 Noncompliance in certain vehicles equipped with R1 Low radios. At that time, FCA US had no information indicating that vehicles equipped with R1 High radios may be affected.
- On April 18, 2023, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization was notified of a potential issue related to rearview backup camera sometimes not displaying the rearview image in some 2022-2023 MY Ram Trucks with R1 High radios.
- From April 2023 through August 2023, FCA US TSRC reviewed vehicle records and met with FCA US engineering to review the issue, understand the part design, and determine the suspect population.
- On August 30, 2023, FCA US TSRC recognized that the backup camera might fail internally, resulting in the rearview camera image not displaying during a backing event, potentially causing a noncompliance with FMVSS No. 111.
- On September 21, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will update the radio software free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on November 17, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is 97A.