Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) has announced that it has issued a voluntary safety recall for certain 2021 and 2022 models of its popular fourth-generation Ram pickups. This includes the 2021 Ram 1500 Classic (DS), 2021 to 2022 Ram 2500 (DJ), and 2021 to 2022 Ram 3500 (D2) pickups, for their side air bag inflatable curtain (SABIC) assemblies. According to Ram, only 132 pickups are affected by the recall.
The recall states that the SABIC assemblies may have been manufactured with the incorrect amount of compressed gas, which can result in improper air bag deployment. SABIC assemblies with a low gas mass may result in non-deployment or low/slow deployment and high gas mass may result in an aggressive deployment of the air bag.
The trucks affected by the recall include…
- 2021 Ram 1500 Classic (DS) – Built between February 1st, 2021 to November 8th, 2021 – 33 units affected
- 2021 to 2022 Ram 2500 (DJ) – Built between January 28th, 2021 to November 4th, 2021 – 71 units affected
- 2021 to 2022 Ram 3500 (D2) – Built between January 28th, 2021 to November 5th, 2021 – 28 units affected
Recall Chronology –
- On November 8th, 2021, FCA US, LLC (“FCA US”) Quality was notified that, during a component test deployment of a SABIC at the supplier, the inflator did not fully inflate the cushion.
- On November 9th, 2021, the FCA US Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (TSRC) organization opened an investigation and discovered that some SABIC assembly inflators with out-of-specification gas mass may have been built into some Ram 1500 Classic, Ram 2500, and Ram 3500 vehicles.
- On November 17th, 2021, FCA US TSRC determined that the SABICs with suspect inflators were shipped to FCA US and built into vehicles from January 28th, 2021 to November 8th, 2021.
- As of November 18th, 2021, FCA US has identified zero customers assistance records, zero warranty claims, and zero field reports potentially relating to this issue for all markets.
- As of November 18th, 2021, FCA US is not aware of any accidents or injuries potentially relating to this issue for all markets.
- On November 18th, 2021, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will replace the SABIC assemblies, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on January 13th, 2022. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is Y99.