Stellantis (FCA US, LLC) has issued a recall for approximately 6,298 units of its 2022 to 2023 Jeep® Wrangler (JL) and Gladiator (JT) models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission. According to the automaker, the rearview camera may fail to display the rearview image, and the reverse lights may not illuminate when the vehicle is placed in reverse. That means the vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 111, “Rear Visibility” and 108, “Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment.”
The vehicles may have been built with a manual transmission with an improperly manufactured all-gear sensor (“AGS”), which may cause the reverse lights and backup camera to be disabled. A disabled rearview image can decrease the driver’s visibility of the rearview, and disabled reverse lights may not alert others that the vehicle is reversing, increasing the risk of injury or crash.
Vehicles Affected –
- 2022 to 2023 Jeep® Wrangler (JL) – 4,530 units built between February 7, 2022 and May 6, 2023
- 2022 to 2023 Jeep Gladiator (JT) – 1,768 units built between February 7, 2022 and February 21, 2023
Recall Chronology –
- On April 24, 2023, the FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) Technical Safety and Regulatory Compliance (“TSRC”) organization was notified of a potential issue related to the AGS on some Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Gladiator vehicles.
- From April 25, 2023, through August 11, 2023, FCA US TSRC met with FCA US engineering to review the issue, understand part design and failure mode, and determine the suspect population.
- On August 16, 2023, the FCA US TSRC organization recognized a vehicle build issue that existed on certain vehicles related to a condition that can lead to the lack of rearview visibility and rearview lamps, potentially causing noncompliance with FMVSS No. 111 and No. 108.
- On September 11, 2023, FCA US determined, through the Vehicle Regulations Committee, to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the affected vehicles.
Dealers will replace the gear position sensor free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on November 7, 2023. Owners may contact FCA US, LLC customer service at 1-800-853-1403. FCA US, LLC’s number for this recall is 92A.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153) or visit www.nhtsa.gov.