This week, the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) announced that it will return to racing a newly reformated race schedule to complete its 2020 season. The sanctioning body’s premier series, the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series will return to competition, kicking off with back-to-back weekends at the famed Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The Indy races will series as a launch point for 15 more Mello Yello Drag Racing Series event that will follow…
|July 11 – 12||NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing at Lucas Oil Raceway (PSC/PSM)||Indianapolis|
|July 18 -19||NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing at Lucas Oil Raceway||Indianapolis|
|July 31-Aug. 2||Flav-R-Pac NHRA Northwest Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Seattle|
|Aug. 7-9||Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals (PSM)||Denver|
|Aug. 14-16||Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals||Brainerd, Minn.|
|Aug. 21-23||Menards NHRA Heartland Nationals (PSC)||Topeka, Kan.|
|Aug. 28-30||NHRA Southern Nationals||Atlanta|
|Sept. 3-6||Denso Spark Plugs NHRA U.S. Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Indianapolis|
|Sept. 11-13||Mopar Express Lane NHRA Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Reading, Pa.|
|Sept. 18-20||NGK Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Charlotte|
|Sept. 25-27||Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals (PSC/PSM)||Gainesville, Fla.|
|Oct. 2-4||AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals PSC/PSM||St. Louis|
|Oct. 9-11||NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Bristol, Tenn.|
|Oct. 16-18||AAA Texas NHRA FallNationals (PSC/PSM)||Dallas|
|Oct. 23-25||Mopar Express Lane NHRA SpringNationals (PSC/PSM)||Houston|
|Oct. 30-Nov. 1||Dodge NHRA Nationals (PSC/PSM)||Las Vegas|
|Nov. 13-15||Auto Club NHRA Finals (PSC/PSM)||Pomona, Calif.|
Schedule subject to change
All events listed above will contest Mello Yello Drag Racing Series on Saturday and Sunday only except for the U.S. Nationals, which will have one Mello Yello Drag Racing Series qualifying round on Friday and two rounds on Saturday
PSC = Pro Stock will be contested at this event
PSM = Pro Stock Motorcycle will be contested at this event
The new schedule will feature racing almost every weekend until the Auto Club NHRA Finals in Pomona on the weekend of November 13th. This means that the Mopar factory-backed teams of Don Schumacher Racing, Cruz Pedregon Racing, and Jim Dunn Racing will have a massive amount of work cut of for them, this summer going into the fall.
The NHRA also announced a revised schedule for its Factory Stock Showdown series in which Don Schumacher Racing drivers Leah Pruett and Mark Pawuk compete with their Dodge Challenger Drag Paks. The schedule will include…
- July 18th to 19th – NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis, Ind.
- Aug. 28th to 30th – NHRA Southern Nationals in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Sept. 3rd to 6th – Denso Spark Plugs NHRA U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis, Ind.
- Sept. 25th to 27th – Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.
- Oct. 2nd to 4th – AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals in St. Louis, Mo.
- Oct. 16th to 18th – AAA Texas NHRA FallNationals in Dallas, Tx.
- Oct. 30th to Nov. 1st – Dodge NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas, Nev.
The current NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing points look like this…
FUNNY CAR (season wins in parentheses):
1. Jack Beckman (Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat) – 220 (1)
2. Tommy Johnson Jr. (Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat) – 175 (1)
3. John Force – 173
4. Ron Capps (Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat) – 128
5. Matt Hagan (Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat) – 124
6. Tim Wilkerson – 107
7. Robert Hight – 100
8. Alexis DeJoria – 99
9. Bob Tasca III – 87
10. Paul Lee – 65
J.R. Todd – 65
TOP FUEL (season wins in parentheses):
1. Doug Kalitta – 212 (1)
2. Brittany Force – 153
3. Leah Pruett (Mopar Dodge//SRT) – 137
4. Austin Prock – 131
5. Steve Torrance – 121 (1)
6. Justin Ashley – 108
7. Antron Brown – 103
8. Shawn Langdon – 91
9. Clay Millican – 85
10. Shawn Reed – 82