Jeep® sent out an important e-mail to its dealer base this past week announcing a “last edition” of the beloved Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel for the 2023 model year. The news comes hot off the announcement that the Ram Truck brand would be dropping the third-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 from its 2023 Ram 1500 after January 2023.
The e-mail showed off a new limited edition 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon ‘Farout’. The Farout gets its name from the Gladiator ‘Farout’ Concept from 2021, which was an Overlanding based concept that featured the EcoDiesel as the center of its off-road capability.
The 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon ‘Farout’ Edition includes the following equipment…
- Cold Weather Group (ADE)
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
- Remote-Start System
- Trailer-Tow Package (ADH)
- 240-Amp Alternator
- 700-Amp Maintenance-Free Battery
- 7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
- Auxillary Switches
- Class II Receiver Hitch
- Safety Group (AJ1)
- Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
- LED Tail Lamps
- ParkSense® Rear Park-Assist System
- LED Lighting Group (AD6)
- Daytime Running Lamp LED Accents
- Front LED Fog Lamps
- LED Premium Reflector Headlamps
- LED Tail Lamps
- Body-Color Rubicon Highline Flare (MHV)
- Satin-Black Grille by Mopar®(MHJ)
- “Diesel 3.0L” Hood Graphic by Mopar®
- Slush Mats (CWA)
- 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Polished Black Aluminum Wheels from the Gladiator Rubicon (WFN)
- Exclusive 3.0L Diesel Badge
- Black Leather Seats with Red Accents
Under the hood, the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 features Engine Stop/Start (ESS) is rated at 260 horsepower and stump-pulling 442 lb.-ft. of torque. To handle all of that increased torque, the EcoDiesel is mated with a ZF-sourced 8HP75 8-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission, which has been calibrated for low-RPM shifts.
The 2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel Rubicon Farout Edition features a third-generation Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles, a 3.73 axle ratio, and a Rock-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio. The Rubicon Farout Edition is available for ordering through November 2022, with deliveries beginning in Q4 2022.
While Jeep did not give an official date of when EcoDiesel production is slated to end for the Wrangler, we expect it to match the Ram 1500’s date in January. Nothing has yet to be said about the Gladiator just yet. But if you are looking at an EcoDiesel Ram 1500 or Wrangler, you might want to get your orders in by the end of October to be safe.