Newsweek has awarded the all-new 2021 Jeep® Grand Cherokee L (WL75) its “Best Family SUV” award as part of the publication’s annual 2021 Auto Awards competition. It continues to show strength with the new three-row offering in the Grand Cherokee lineup, as the Grand Cherokee L has won numerous awards over the past several months.
Unique features and attributes particularly appealing to families were specifically considered during vehicle evaluations. Newsweek staff noted that the Grand Cherokee’s spacious third-row, innovative infotainment system, next-generation technologies, and incredible passenger comfort were significant factors that helped the model earn its award.
“The Jeep Grand Cherokee L does more than expand the Grand Cherokee family,” said Eileen Falkenberg-Hull, senior editor of autos for Newsweek. “It elevates the three-row SUV experience, making it possible to transport family members in comfort and style thanks to an outstanding list of standard and available features paired with classic Jeep 4×4 capability.”
The third-row passenger space paired with its ample comfort and convenience appointments gave the Grand Cherokee L the edge in the Newsweek competition. With premium styling and craftsmanship inside and out, the state-of-the-art Jeep Grand Cherokee L features more than 110 advanced safety and security features, including advanced driver-assist systems, 360-degree surround view, and night vision cameras. Segment-leading, next-generation technologies include 10-inch digital screens, windshield head-up display, rear-seat monitoring camera, an available premium 19-speaker McIntosh audio system and class-leading USB ports to keep the entire family connected.
The Grand Cherokee L wasn’t the only Jeep SUV to take home awards in the competition. The all-new full-size three-row Wagoneer (WS) won the “Best Full-Size SUV” award, while the all-new more luxurious Grand Wagoneer took home the “Best Luxury SUV” honor.
As a premium extension of the Jeep brand, the iconic 2022 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer offer the pinnacle of premium SUV interiors, with elegant American style, meticulously crafted finishes, and modern-day appointments. The interiors of the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are designed to support active customers’ lifestyles, with best-in-class overall passenger volume, total volume, third-row headroom, and second- and third-row legroom, as well as the most cargo volume behind the third row.
“The Wagoneer brand is back, bringing with it a new way to experience full-size three-row SUVs,” Falkenberg-Hull noted. “The Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer punch above their price tag weight, delivering the types of features, capability, and design that families are seeking. On top of that, both models are incredibly easy to drive.”
The technologically advanced Wagoneer, Newsweek’s Best Full-Size SUV, and Grand Wagoneer, Newsweek’s Best Luxury SUV, offer next-generation innovations, including a rear-seat monitoring camera, windshield head-up display, frameless digital cluster, premium McIntosh audio system, 10.25 front passenger interactive display, Fire TV for Auto and up to 75 inches of total digital screen area.
Wagoneer delivers a best-in-class towing capability of up to 10,000 lbs. (on Wagoneer with Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package), allowing for almost any toy to be towed while occupants sit comfortably inside, enjoying gracefully integrated advanced technology and connectivity. The Grand Wagoneer sets the benchmark for luxury with its genuine handcrafted Satin American Walnut wood trim, Palermo leather-trimmed seating with quilting and leather-wrapped instrument panel, consoles and door panels with accent stitching.
All three vehicles are equipped with the award-winning Uconnect 5 infotainment system, Stellantis’ most advanced in-car technology with five-times-faster operating speeds, new content and improved customization. The advanced Uconnect 5 system, with standard wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, also offers new convenience and connected services, keeping passengers engaged and informed while drivers keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
During the evaluation process, vehicle features and specifications accounted for 75% of the judging score. The remaining 25% was based on vehicle drive impressions by Newsweek staff. Vehicle scores were averaged to produce a product line score, which determined the overall winners.