The FIAT Professional brand has opened up ordering in the main European markets for its all-new 2022 Fiat Scudo midsized light commercial van. About to go into production at the historic Stellantis plant in Hordain, near Valenciennes in Northern France, the Scudo will later be joined by a passenger-based sibling the 2022 Fiat Ulysse MPV.
Both models will be offered in both Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) and Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) configurations. The Scudo will be available in four versions (Van, Crew Cab, Chassis Cab, and Combi M1) and up to three lengths. The 2022 Fiat E-Scudo becomes the Fiat Professional’s second electrified vehicle offering, joining the E-Ducato, which launched in April 2021.
According to Stellantis, the ICE models of the new vans will offer a diesel powertrain paired with either manual or automatic transmissions. The light commercial vehicle option will offer a cargo van, passenger van, or chassis cab configuration to choose from and should offer a solution for each commercial van application. The new van series is based on the EMP2 platform (which underpins a number of Peugeot, Citroën, Opel, Vauxhall, and DS Automobile vehicles). The modular nature of which makes it possible to meet specific needs in various markets, by adapting to very different models and segments.
The E-Scudo BEV will offer a best-in-class range of up to 330 kilometers (205 miles) in the WLTP cycle, ideal for those who work in the city and inner suburbs. The zero-emissions BEV version also boasts unique flexibility from the perspective of the client’s mission, with two battery sizes – 50 and 75 kWh, an AC charging capacity of up to 11 kW, and up to 100 kW in DC, to charge the more capacious battery to 80% in just 45 minutes.
Load capacity does not change whatever is the powertrain, and payload in the core of the segment: up to 6,6 m3 loading bay volume, payload up to over 1 ton (2,200 lbs), and likewise, a towing capacity of 1 ton (2,200 lbs).
The target audience is professionals who use their vehicle for 8 hours or more per day; another aspect carefully considered in the design phase was therefore comfort. The aim of the 2022 Fiat Scudo is to offer a stress-free experience at work, via various measures such as a car-like driving position, top-level soundproofing, to minimize jolts and vibrations.
- Compact external dimensions, less than 5-meter (or about 16 feet, 5 inches) length for the core version and 1.9 meters (about 6 feet, 2 inches) in height makes Scudo suitable for all-purpose use, ensuring the agility necessary in the urban environment.
- A Head-Up Display (HUD) delivers key information without driver distraction and reduces stress.
- A car-like driving position ensures an excellent comfort level, while the seat elevated position ensures optimal road visibility. Easy accessibility is ensured by an ergonomic step in the cabin.
- Road holding, comfort, and suspension filtering are ensured in all the driving conditions thanks to the four independent wheel suspensions (reinforced McPherson front axle with anti-roll bar and oblique wishbone trailing arms for the rear axle) enhancing variable stiffness springs, with load adaptive variable damping (AMVAC) shock absorbers, a system which varies the damping with the vehicle’s ride height.
The 2022 Fiat Scudo delivers a complete set of safety and Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) features…
- Automatic Road Sign Recognition
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) – triggered when there is a high risk of collision
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) – to advise the driver if they veer out of lane
- Blind-Spot Monitoring (BSM) – a great feature that provides notifications of any vehicles hidden in the wing mirror blind spot when overtaking
- Rearview Camera – offers a 180° panoramic view, to facilitate parking
- Frontal Collision Warning (FCW) – advanced notification systems for obstacles in the direction of travel
The Scudo has been designed as an all-around commercial vehicle, but one that feels like a car, with the advantage of offering smart, concrete solutions while maintaining compact dimensions. The 2022 Fiat Scudo is also available for passengers’ transportation for business or private use. Fully configurable up to 9 seats. Seats are foldable to increase load capacity according to the needs. Thanks to the folding partition walls that enable to carry 3 additional people than a van.
With its low roof height, the Scudo can easily be parked in underground parking garages. Combined with a length of 5 meters (or about 16 feet, 5 inches) and up to 5.3 meters (17 feet, 4 inches) on the Maxi version, the result is a vehicle that can “transport anything and go anywhere”. For those with specific needs in the city landscape, an “S” version is available that packs all the advantages of the other versions into just 4.6 meters (15 feet, 1 inch) in length.
As for loading volume depending on the wheelbase, the Scudo can have a capacity of up to 1.4 tons (2,800 lbs).
It also features a unique kind of cabin modularity courtesy of the exclusive Moduwork system, which transforms the passenger seat into a workstation and an extension of the load compartment, to transport items up to 4 meters (13 feet) long on the Maxi version.
When it comes to powertrains, there are 5 different options available. Of course, there is the electrified option which is equipped with a 100-kW (136 horsepower) electric motor. There are also four available diesel options. Standard is a 1.5-liter version with either 102 horsepower or 120 horsepower outputs and mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. Or you can opt for a 2.0-liter variant with either 145 horsepower and mated to an 8-speed manual or automatic transmission, or a 177 horsepower version paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
The inclusion of zero-emissions versions is also another piece in the jigsaw of the gradual strategy to electrify the Stellantis line-up and is expected to attract great interest from entrepreneurs attentive to the profitability of their business, who also have respect for our environment.
2022 Fiat E-Scudo BEV Image Gallery: