Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When will the PHEV Tornado be released (IE, why can Volvo do it yet Stellantis is having so much trouble)

cygnus

Reaction score
What’s up with the PHEV Tornado? No better time than now.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Is theZF line at Gray Court, SC running the next generation hybrid transmissions yet? The Power Line 8 speed for trucks isn't due until next calendar year. That isn't a hybrid, but I don't know which comes first.

cygnus

Reaction score
Is theZF line at Gray Court, SC running the next generation hybrid transmissions yet? The Power Line 8 speed for trucks isn't due until next calendar year. That isn't a hybrid, but I don't know which comes first.

I just can’t see either BMW or Chrysler not bringing an inline six PHEV to market now that the Inflation bill has passed. It would be insane if both STLA and BMW decided “yeah we’re not interested in that market”.

BMW and STLA have split ZF eight speed (before that, six speed) tooling costs for what - 15 years now?

People who try to tell you this isn’t economically viable are 1) lying 2) gaslighting/********ting you

Before they even try to finish, be sure to interrupt them and say - EIGHT BILLION IN PROFIT IN THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OF 2022, MORE PEOPLE WORKING AT CTC NOW THAN EVER BEFORE.

Last edited:

cygnus

Reaction score
I’m just tired of the photoshop edition cars, get some actual product on the road that people care about.

patfromigh

Reaction score
According to ZF the next Gen 8-speed will start production at Gray Court, SC in 2025. California wants over one third of private passenger vehicle sales to be battery electric by 2026.

cygnus

Reaction score
Aren’t they using the 4th Gen ZF 8speed already with the PHEV Wrangler/Grand Cherokee?

My guess is that they are waiting on the 5th generation ZF to make it the entry level option for the next generation Ram 1500 (DU?) and also use it as the higher trim option for Jeep / Dodge.

3.0 SO for entry level, 3.0 HO for medium/high trim, 3.0 PHEV for top trim, V8s in SRT trims.

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
Fourth generation started in April on a limited basis for strictly high end EU vehicles. Full production slowly ramps up in Europe with the Gray Court line starting in 2025.

The rear drive based PHEV Jeeps use the Gen III 8-speed. It remains to be seen what the GVW limit of the Gen 4 transmission will be, so the older transmission may hang around a little longer for body on frame trucks and SUVs.

cygnus

Reaction score
So 2025+ Grand Cherokee/Wrangler/Charger/Challenger are going full EV and not PHEV? That would be terribly disappointing if true, a wasted opportunity with the Tornado.

I can’t believe they would drop the ball with this. If the future is full EVs or 3L’s without a PHEV, I’m out. That 3L will have enough stress from increased pressure/temperature; the PHEV is useful to extend both engine longevity and vehicle range.

The Hornet PHEV implementation is a good one, they need to continue that with the other vehicles.

Last edited:

cygnus

Reaction score
Honestly, they could do the Hornet PHEV sequencing in Italy, pack them up into Knock Down Kits, and assemble them here in stalls. It's been done before.

ChargerFan1

Reaction score
My guess is you'll be waiting until its refresh time for the GC, 3 years min. They literally just debuted it with the pentastar, I6 = re-crash testing and certification

They DO have more money sloshing around now though, I am just conditioned to believe they are broke as usual and have to pinch pennies lol

patfromigh

Reaction score

depressing that these chumps are able to do it and Chrysler can't.

In a previous post I stated, "Fourth generation started in April on a limited basis for strictly high end EU vehicles. Full production slowly ramps up in Europe with the Gray Court line starting in 2025." Range Rover is perhaps that high end automaker. My guess was BMW since that company provided vehicles for the Gen IV prototypes. I don't expect to see the Gen IV 8-speed in CDJR vehicles until 2025 when the PHEV system is in full production. Perhaps then we'll also see the new generation of mild hybrids based on the Generation IV ZF 8-speed.

If one hasn't been following the news from the Peoples Republic of California this week, the CARB has banned the sale of ICE powered passenger vehicles. The phase out begins in 2026. That jeopardizes production plans for automakers and suppliers who want to build hybrids. BTW, the day after the announcement the Governor announced charging restriction on EVs due to the electricity shortage in that state.

TripleT

Reaction score
They are essential banning private transportation in the state of California. As they currently do not have the supply to even keep homes cool, and do not plan to add any substantial capacity.

cygnus

Reaction score
In a previous post I stated, "Fourth generation started in April on a limited basis for strictly high end EU vehicles. Full production slowly ramps up in Europe with the Gray Court line starting in 2025." Range Rover is perhaps that high end automaker. My guess was BMW since that company provided vehicles for the Gen IV prototypes. I don't expect to see the Gen IV 8-speed in CDJR vehicles until 2025 when the PHEV system is in full production. Perhaps then we'll also see the new generation of mild hybrids based on the Generation IV ZF 8-speed.

If one hasn't been following the news from the Peoples Republic of California this week, the CARB has banned the sale of ICE powered passenger vehicles. The phase out begins in 2026. That jeopardizes production plans for automakers and suppliers who want to build hybrids. BTW, the day after the announcement the Governor announced charging restriction on EVs due to the electricity shortage in that state.

Let them buy overpriced EVs

cygnus

Reaction score
BMW to unveil their new V8 (!!!!) PHEV on September 27th - BMW XM Debut Allegedly Happening On September 27

Really sad that Chrysler is walking away from the V8 - there is a way forward with the PHEV. A halo V8 PHEV could be shared between a new Dodge Viper, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a Chrysler vehicle...all based on STLA Large.

Blah blah blah Chrysler is BEV only - I guarantee people would be lining up for those three offerings. All are uniquely different styles, and tell the industry - we run this.

Instead you have overpriced Lithium NMC wannabe lifestyle vehicles - SAD!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread