Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new STLA Medium platform in detail

pumadog

Reaction score
Details, differences to the previous development "e-VMP" by PSA, applications, why 400 V in the EU and 800 V in the US. It's french, use a translator!

Exclusive. Briefly presented in July, the unprecedented STLA Medium platform has not revealed all its secrets. L'Argus met with Sébastien Jacquet, project manager at Stellantis engineering, who details the base inaugurated by the electric and hybrid Peugeot 3008.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Mmmm a lot of stuff there that I am not super-happy about.
First, this platform was developed with two battery packs in mind: one of 87kWh and one with 98kWh, both with NMC chemistry. It was developed with a 60kWh pack in mind as well, but then this pack was discarded (no reasons given). No LFP battery packs announced.
Second, no lower power engines, only 218 and 388hp.
Consequence: these vehicles will be expensive. Big battery packs, of the most expensive chemistry type. They are going to compete in the mass market segments with biggest sales in Europe: the compact market but they will be more expensive than the VW group competitors, let alone the Tesla Model Y or chinese competitors.
Conclusion: they will "sell" expensive BEV versions that will be nothing more than halo models but will push the ICE versions with the cheap 1.2 and 1.6 Puretech engines.

Then they mention that the platform will have to evolve in the future because they have an objective of selling software to their customers. This makes me very uneasy that they're considering pushing more in-car subscriptions bullsh*t like GM is planning.

They are going at this all wrong.

One curious thing: no mention of Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio successors on this platform. Are they already in development in STLA Large?

pumadog

Reaction score
Yes, Giulia and Stelvio are confirmed for Large. As is the Cassino plant. First Alfa will introduce STLA Brain in 2025. I'm still not sure if it's Giulia or Stelvio. I guess every car maker hopes to sell software subscriptions or updates in the future. On the other hand Stellantis plans to give it's vehicles longer lifecycles (from typical 15 to 25 years) through updates in software and changeable hardware parts, like interior trim. Which is good for customer and environment.

STLA Medium will support EDM #2 and #3 according to the EV Day 2021. EDM #2 offers 125 - 180 kW 400 V. For cheaper options there will be STLA Small in the C segment of Fiat and Citroën. I wonder how they'll price the electric 3008/Grandland against 308/Astra and 408 with their 50 kWh/ 156 PS limit.

cgseller

Reaction score
The subscription concept is a fad (hopefully) that is something that 1/2 the people hate and 1/2 the people love. If you can appease the haters by making the subscription for "updates" or "new" unreleased features that is something the 1/2 haters can pallet as they can have their o.g. features until the car is kaput. The other 1/2 can drop their $$ on yearly updates and get wizzbangs.

The catch is some things will stop working over time, like 3G or things like connected car/road which will evolve quickly in the first decade or two. But things like power windows, remote proximity start, or keyless entry will just work and you won't be paying a $1/mo subscription to allow it to work.

The Z factor is security updates/service bulletins. Those need to be carefully thought out. There is a greater good for the world to have those applied w/o hinderance as I don't want to have someone not get updates and have their car be an issue and people put in danger. I could see this as a 1 time upfront security subscription for $500 at purchase time and you get those, or it's part of a package that you pay 1 time.

A lot of options here, and there will be a lot of experimentation to find out what the consumer can pallet and what camps of consumers form.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
The subscription concept is a fad (hopefully) that is something that 1/2 the people hate and 1/2 the people love. If you can appease the haters by making the subscription for "updates" or "new" unreleased features that is something the 1/2 haters can pallet as they can have their o.g. features until the car is kaput. The other 1/2 can drop their $$ on yearly updates and get wizzbangs.

The catch is some things will stop working over time, like 3G or things like connected car/road which will evolve quickly in the first decade or two. But things like power windows, remote proximity start, or keyless entry will just work and you won't be paying a $1/mo subscription to allow it to work.

The Z factor is security updates/service bulletins. Those need to be carefully thought out. There is a greater good for the world to have those applied w/o hinderance as I don't want to have someone not get updates and have their car be an issue and people put in danger. I could see this as a 1 time upfront security subscription for $500 at purchase time and you get those, or it's part of a package that you pay 1 time.

A lot of options here, and there will be a lot of experimentation to find out what the consumer can pallet and what camps of consumers form.
Guess I'll go back to using my smartphone on my dashboard then.

Users who are viewing this thread