Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cherokee Nation Wants Jeep® To Get Rid Of Its Iconic Nameplate:

The Cherokee Nation Wants Jeep® To Get Rid Of Its Iconic Nameplate:​

Native American Tribe Tells Car and Driver It Wants Jeep To Stop...​

Jeep-Cherokee-3.jpg

In a recent article from Car and Driver magazine, the automobile magazine is reporting that the Cherokee Nation is asking the Jeep® to stop using the “Cherokee” nameplate across its lineup of award-winning sport utility vehicles (SUVs). It comes as the Jeep brand is getting ready to launch its all-new Grand Cherokee (WL) models, kicking … (read full article...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just confused, if it was ok in the past, and they haven't specifically told Jeep that they have now changed their minds, besides as a comment to a car magazine, what do they expect to happen? I don't think that Jeep are mind readers, otherwise they would know how much I want the promised Off Road pages to be provided to my KL.

It's the Cherokee nation's name after all, but after so long, is it too late? Or is everyone so PC now that we will end up with a Jeep SUV, and Jeep Grand SUV in the future?
I don’t think you’re really missing much. I have the off road pages on mine and have used them maybe two times, and only to check the altitude. They aren’t noteworthy.

Mopar02

Reaction score
WL should be renamed Overland.
KL/KM should be renamed Laredo.

The trim levels already have some name recognition among Jeep buyers.

Much easier than coming up with a new name.

Alternates would be Commander, Liberty or Patriot. Patriot might not work well outside U.S. and Commander doesn't have a stellar reputation (and is used in China).

Screenshot_20210225-185651_Instagram.jpg

Also what is that Jeep on the left side

Last edited:

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Can we just pretend it’s a new Cherokee? Because it looks boxier and more traditionally Jeep.

Could be a Renegade though, or even an old design study for WL.

Or Jeep Junior? To tell the truth I have no idea.

Mopar02

Reaction score
Whatever it is I hope its the new KM and hope that its RWD based also.

Wishful thinking.

MPE426HEMI

Reaction score
Just be done with it.
Drop the name for the next model year and change it to Freedom & Grand Freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread