Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis to Introduce Two Leapmotor EVs in Select Euro Markets

In a bid to electrify its European portfolio, automotive giant Stellantis has set its sights on introducing two promising electric vehicles (EVs) from Chinese startup Leapmotor. This strategic move comes on the heels of Stellantis acquiring a notable 20% stake in Leapmotor, marking a significant step towards embracing the future of mobility. The first contender in Stellantis’ electrification lineup is the Leapmotor T03, a compact city car poised to challenge the likes of the Fiat 500e and the Renault Twingo. With affordability at its core, the T03 boasts a price tag of around €20,000 (approximately $21,445 USD), making it an … (read full article...)

Image 135.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
The To3 (T03?) woouldn't fly on our side of the pond. It seems to be an electric Mitsubishi Mirage. The best part of the Mirage was the 3 cylinder gas engine and the rest is forgettable. For what this little EV is, the price seems high.

Now the Leapmotor C10 has interesting possibilities. My first impression is the name, all I could think of is, "This isn't your grandfather's C10." 🛻 In the case of the Leapmotor C10, the C means C-segment. I think the styling is generic. An EV front clip attached to a tall wagon body. Like its smaller brother, the price seems high. What is a Compass going for? Then again the Compass doesn't have a battery electric option and we in North America were cheated out of the 4Xe option.

What I don't know is if they are importing knock-down kits to be assembled in Poland, or will tooling be in place for regular production. What is really intriguing is the extended range EV option (EREV) of the C10 model. I would like to know more about the engineering involved, it is difficult to figure out off the Leapmotor website. I think there is a case for an entry level vehicle built here, but with Leapmotor parts. I wouldn't use the Chinese IC range extender when there are a couple of three cylinder engines in the Stellantis catalog. I would also use domestic batteries.

TripleT

Reaction score
To3 is what is taking over China. Small subA city car, it is the future of Electric cars.

TripleT

Reaction score
Wait, I thought expensive 3-ton performance cars were the future. (I get it. Just kidding.🤡)
Well that may be where the margin is, but the volume is small city cars. Not sure where you can charge them in the USA though.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Well that may be where the margin is, but the volume is small city cars. Not sure where you can charge them in the USA though.
Which ever auto company that can come up with a workable solution for apartment dwellers wins the prize. Remember this article?

I wouldn't be surprised to small EVs offered by subscription services instead of retail sales. The battery packs for a given manufacturer could be standardized for swapping instead of trying to find an available charging station. Leasing and subscription services also avoid resale value pitfalls for the consumer.

TripleT

Reaction score
Well I take some photos from Huangyan at the end of the month basically they are putting plugs everywhere. Parking Lots Parking garages Surface lots. A lot of lots have the stacked parking with the lifts those are already powered and the power is 220.

25 year ago when I first went they used to have rolling black outs now uncountable number of cars are plugged in. Fire up that Coal power plant.

Also Keep in mind these small models and cheap models have modest batteries to start with so Charging is not very demanding. 30 mile round trip would be odd... they are not really interstate vehicles they a pure city cars.

patfromigh

Reaction score
My curiosity got the best of me, so I looked up what the engineering details of the Leapmotor extended range EV (EREV) drivetrain are specifically. The range extender is a 1,500cc four cylinder, gas fueled engine. It is purchased from an outside supplier, which also provides the same unit to other Chinese BEV companies. This reminded me of Continental doing the same thing in the early days of the American auto industry. The ICE is not connected to the drive wheels, it only powers the generator. The Chevy Volt would connect directly to provide power to the drive train under certain conditions.

If I ran Stellantis, I would be figuring out using the Leapmotor drive units with some of the STLA platforms, to be installed in vehicles built in North America. Domestically built batteries, IC range extender, and above all American styling inside and out should be used.

The lineup of models being proposed by Leapmotor is impressive. Should the Chrysler 200 be given another chance? I don't think most people give a thought about where electric motors are sourced from. The same choice of BEV and EREV powertrains should be offered here. I suspect some people are going to be forced into EVs. Leapmotor is also previewing a C16 3 row SUV concept. It looks to be production ready. It seems to be a D-segment sized vehicle, and could fill a gap in the Chrysler brand lineup as well as the sedan.

Users who are viewing this thread