Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Starts Work On Jointly Developed Alfa Romeo, DS And Lancia Models

Deckard Cain

Reaction score

Stellantis is only a few weeks old, but the company is already working to repair the neglected Lancia brand.

Besides introducing the facelifted Ypsilon, Auto News Europe is reporting Stellantis has started work on jointly developed models for Alfa Romeo, DS and Lancia.

Details are limited, but the publication is reporting the jointly developed models will share powertrain options as well as “premium features.” That isn’t much to go on, but DS product director Marion David told them “We are working with our Italian colleagues on specific premium modules, powertrains and features to differentiate the premium brands [Alfa Romeo, DS and Lancia] from the mainstream brands.”

David went on to say DS’s plan to launch a new model every year remains on track and will continue. However after 2023, the company will focus on providing the synergies that FCA and PSA sought to achieve as part of the merger. As a result, the next-generation of Stellantis premium vehicles will arrive in 2024 or 2025.

While the jointly developed models are a ways off, the publication is reporting Alfa Romeo will get another crossover. Little is known about it, but it will reportedly ride on the CMP architecture and be built in Poland. It’s slated to arrive in 2023 and will reportedly slot beneath the Stelvio and Tonale.

The Tonale will reportedly debut this fall and closely echo the concept that was introduced at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show. Engine options remain unconfirmed, but are expected to be shared with the Jeep Renegade.

This means the crossover could have a turbocharged 1.3-liter petrol with outputs of 128 hp (96 kW / 130 PS) and 178 hp (132 kW / 180 PS). There could also be a plug-in hybrid powertrain with outputs of 187 hp (140 kW / 190 PS) and 237 hp (176 kW / 240 PS) as well as an electric-only range of approximately 26 miles (42 km) in the WLTP cycle.

So it seems that until 2024-2025 they'll remain more or less independent. The B-SUV for Alfa is an exception to that.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Alfa can get out of this. Different ethos to other two brands.

I would like to hear something else. Alfa development back to Modena i.e. yet again joined with Maserati for D-segment up.

@Deckard Cain
B-SUVs may be on PSA's platform but they are FCA's project. Green lit under FCA and not directly connected to a merger.

Once I've said that the first fruits of the merger will not be seen before 2024. It seems that I had right.

But in this article something else is mentioned. They will try to technically differentiate premium pole brands to other Stellantis brands.

AlexB

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Alfa can get out of this. Different ethos to other two brands.

I would like to hear something else. Alfa development back to Modena i.e. yet again joined with Maserati for D-segment up.

@Deckard Cain
B-SUVs may be on PSA's platform but there are FCA's project. Green lit under FCA and not directly connected to a merger.

Once I've said that the first fruits of the merger will not be seen before 2024. It seems that I had right.

But in this article something else is mentioned. They will try to technically differentiate premium pole brands to other Stellantis brands.
During the merger approval waiting period, a ''run around'' the E.U. PSA licensed platform to FCA, so 2024 might be right.
Maserati is tied with Michigan team base on Ralph's role.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
During the merger approval waiting period, a ''run around'' the E.U. PSA licensed platform to FCA, so 2024 might be right.
Platform or platforms? Which platform?

Maserati is tied with Michigan team base on Ralph's role.

It seems that you are messing design with engineering. No, Maserati is not tied with Michigan team in terms of engineering. ;)

AlexB

Reaction score
Platform or platforms? Which platform?

It seems that you are messing design with engineering. No, Maserati is not tied with Michigan team in terms of engineering. ;)
Well in terms of Design, which is pretty important, and why Maserati (that would be a question for Carlos)
The ''unholy'' CMP🙃:cautious:! A ''Le Cost killing special''...........

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Original text:

PARIS -- The first jointly developed models for Stellantis' three premium brands -- Alfa Romeo, DS and Lancia -- could appear by 2024, as the newly created group seeks to break through in the profitable segment.

Marion David, the product director at DS, said future models from the brands would share common premium features including drivetrains that would separate them from mainstream Stellantis brands such as Peugeot.

“We are working with our Italian colleagues on specific premium modules, powertrains and features to differentiate the premium brands from the mainstream brands,” she said Wednesday at a launch event for the DS 4 compact hatchback.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Well in terms of Design, which is pretty important, and why Maserati (that would be a question for Carlos)
The ''unholy'' CMP🙃:cautious:!

Ralph's role is managerial. Even now he has very little or no influence at Italian design. A lot of Heads i.e. managers before it comes in front of him. For example Head of Exterior Design of certain brand, then Head of Design, then Klaus Busse as Head of FCA Italy design, and then Ralph as Head of FCA design. A lot of managers if you ask me. LOL

It will not be much different under Stellantis. But I must say that if any Italian brands is not suitable for French designers, better said PSA designers, it's Alfa Romeo. AFAIK during the years Alfa and Renault had huge number of designer exchange. I'm not talking about managerial roles but about those who actually work od design, people at the design desk.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
I find it funny they're pairing Lancia and DS with Alfa that's for sure. Hopefully by raising the standards of DS and Lancia, not by making Alfa less special.
But I like the idea of them being more separate from the rest of the brands. We won't see the results of this for a few years anyway.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
I find it funny they're pairing Lancia and DS with Alfa that's for sure. Hopefully by raising the standards of DS and Lancia, not by making Alfa less special.
But I like the idea of them being more separate from the rest of the brands. We won't see the results of this for a few years anyway.

And I think that they've got some things wrong. Imparato may be synergy referent but IMO it's not just for premium pole brands. It's for the whole Stellantis.

For example Jeep brand is not in the any brand group yet their CEO (Meunier) is a Synergies Referent. Maserati doesn't have Synergies Referent but someone may argue that Maserati can't receive any tech from ex-PSA which is true.

Anyway, there are 5 Synergies Referents. CEOs of Jeep, Fiat&Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot and Dodge brands. 4 out 5 are ex-FCA guys although 3 our of 5 are French and out of those 3 only 1 came directly from ex-PSA.

It says that Synergies Referent is charged with guiding the identification, implementation and acceleration of synergies within their respective groups and cross functionally.

Deckard Cain

Reaction score
Their organizational map is a nightmare.
I'm slightly worried with pairing Alfa with DS instead of Maserati.

Bili

Official Pilot
Staff member
Reaction score
Their organizational map is a nightmare.
I'm slightly worried with pairing Alfa with DS instead of Maserati.
I agree with you. There is slight concern that all Alfas may end up on EMP2/eVMP. Let's hope that's false.

For D and up Alfa must be Giorgio based but I don't see much need of Giorgio for brands like DS.

As I said Alfa needs somewhat more noble platform for their C segment. Independent suspension all round and use of more noble/expensive materials but all with the goal of better handling and better driver's experience.

Let's take a look at VAG. I don't like them but some things are properly done.
Porsche and Audi are sharing a lot of development for big cars, especially engines. They are responsible for development of platforms with longitudinal engines and 2.0 and Vee engines.
VW is responsible for small engines, similar size as FCA's GSE. They are also responsible for base development of 3 different MQB platforms.
Of course that at the bottom, for C-segment, Audi shares platform with cheaper VAG brands. But for example Audi A3 may be on MQB A1 but it shares most o it with VW Golf. Almost the whole line-up has independent rear suspension, only 1.6 TDI and 1.0 TSI have rear twist beam. For Seat and Škoda they have twisted beam on all versions sans performance oriented models.
Then for C segment SUVs, Seat and Škoda models are on MQB A1 while VW and Au di are on MQB A2 which is used on D-segment sedans.

You can understand at what I'm aiming. Sharing is not necessarily between the brands from the same pole. VAG shows it very well. In Stellantis scheme that would mean that Alfa may share with Maserati and Peugeot in different car classes but not with Citroen or Fiat.

Users who are viewing this thread