Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Exec Says Hydrogen-Powered Ram 5500 Is Coming

In a recent interview with the German publication Welt am Sonntag, Stellantis’ Chief Technology Officer for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Development, Jean-Michel Billig, unveiled an exciting development in the automotive industry—a hydrogen fuel cell-powered Ram 5500 destined for the North American market in the next year. This groundbreaking move underscores Stellantis’ commitment to sustainability and … (read full article...)

Image 163.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

patfromigh

Reaction score
This is surprising. I thought the hydrogen ProMaster would show up first. Hydrogen has a harder road to acceptance than battery electric. Not enough vehicles out there to justify the support structure, so what little infrastructure there is now being shutdown.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why don't they try natural gas instead of hydrogen for the fuel cell.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Natural gas has been done. That’s old news. Tried it, failed.

Hydrogen has far more potential than electric could ever dream of, but absolutely zero infrastructure. If it’s the Cummins hydrogen then it should be a good option. However, there isn’t a single fill station in my state. Not a one.

It’ll be for select industrial applications only

patfromigh

Reaction score
The primary source of the hydrogen used as fuel is natural gas. The process of extracting the hydrogen for fuel from natural gas requires energy which may come from coal fired electricity depending on where the extraction process is taking place. Significant savings may be made using geothermal energy. This is why tiny Iceland is way ahead of everyone else for hydrogen technology and use. This island country is built on a volcanic island and has a lot of natural hot water.

This thread's article suggests that the Ram 5500 will use a hydrogen fuel cell. Fuel cells do not require a combustion process, instead producing electricity from a chemical process. Natural gas or methane may feed a fuel cell directly. This is an established process which is used for backup electric generation for homes here, and for municipal power generation in other countries, but on a much larger scale. My thought is why not adapt this to an automotive fuel cell.

The head of Wesport Fuel Systems stated full commercial production of a hydrogen fueled ICE is still a few years out in an interview. Wesport provides the fuel systems for Cummins natural gas engines. Another Wesport executive recently said in an interview, "Hydrogen internal combustion engine (ICE) powered-trucks will be “hard to beat” in long-haul applications." He also stated, “The results that we see from running hydrogen HPDI in engines is very much comparable and superior in many ways to fuel cells.”

Hydrogen has far more potential than electric could ever dream of, but absolutely zero infrastructure. If it’s the Cummins hydrogen then it should be a good option. However, there isn’t a single fill station in my state. Not a one.
The head of Wesport also said that based on their experiences with the natural gas market, as soon as a few fleets buy into a new fuel technology, a business case for building a fueling infrastructure is instantly created.

Absolutely correct. Hydrogen fueled IC engines appear to be the best solution for long haul eighteen wheel trucks and might also be a better solution than battery electric or fuel cells for other GVW class trucks.

redriderbob

Mopar Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
Natural gas has been done. That’s old news. Tried it, failed.

Users who are viewing this thread