What's new
Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis CEO Says He Is Ready To Start Cutting Brands

Stellantis CEO Says He Is Ready To Start Cutting Brands​

"If They Don't Make Money, We'll Shut Them Down," Tavares Says...​

1722012995554.png

Stellantis, the world's fourth-largest automaker, says it is taking decisive action to tackle weak margins and high inventory levels in its U.S. operations. CEO Carlos Tavares announced that the company is prepared to eliminate underperforming brands from its extensive portfolio if they fail to generate profits. This marks a significant shift in strategy for Tavares, who previously maintained that all 14 brands under Stellantis, including Chrysler, Maserati, DS Automobiles, and Lancia, had a future.

I make a list for them Vauxhall, Lancia, DS, Opel, and sadly Chrysler. Citroen steps all over Peugeot at lower margins. Abarth shouldn't be consider a brand but just a version of Fiats like SRT is to Dodge. That leave Maserati, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, RAM (RAM industrial), Peugeot, Dodge, and Fiat. Honestly if I was him, I would just concentrate on those 7 with least overlap and full line coverage. All these have international appeal, save for Dodge that could.

As Sad as it makes me, I think Daimlers killed Chrysler and we have been just waiting for funeral. It should have stay low volume up market. But that stepped on Mercedes. Really if that can't be rewrote with EVs I don't see recovering. The Demo is aging out of traditional American Luxury. Nearly every car today is Luxurious by the old standards. Not many are opting for roll down windows, cloth seats, Am radio anymore. Lincolns failure and changing preference for SUVs in this category is just going to be hard to overcome.

They can start by folding Ram back into the Dodge brand as 9 out of ten still call them a Dodge Ram.

I don’t see to much of a chance for Chrysler to survive and how can it after being starved of new products for so long.

Just having Dodge and Jeep moving forward will possibly make it more attractive for someone else to take it over, but I can’t see them giving up Jeep.

I hope they realize that they caused all this by such inflated prices and slow new products

Never happen the RAM division is an absolute success story. Rolling it back into Dodge, make less sense than calling it Graham or Fargo at this point. Dodge has a entirely different mission.

Last edited:
How about we start at the top first, with the guy threatening the various operations without questioning himself or his inflated salary. I see the handwriting on the wall for Chrysler and folding Ram into Dodge makes huge sense, but for now I’m sticking with Chrysler since life without them would be sad. The solution is more and better product and better build quality. Panic results in stupid thinking and this sounds like panic.

I make a list for them Vauxhall, Lancia, DS, Opel, and sadly Chrysler. Citroen steps all over Peugeot at lower margins. Abarth shouldn't be consider a brand but just a version of Fiats like SRT is to Dodge. That leave Maserati, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, RAM (RAM industrial), Peugeot, Dodge, and Fiat. Honestly if I was him, I would just concentrate on those 7 with least overlap and full line coverage. All these have international appeal, save for Dodge that could.

As Sad as it makes me, I think Daimlers killed Chrysler and we have been just waiting for funeral. It should have stay low volume up market. But that stepped on Mercedes. Really if that can't be rewrote with EVs I don't see recovering. The Demo is aging out of traditional American Luxury. Nearly every car today is Luxurious by the old standards. Not many are opting for roll down windows, cloth seats, Am radio anymore. Lincolns failure and changing preference for SUVs in this category is just going to be hard to overcome.

Chrysler sells a lot of cars compared to some of the European brands... just saying.

Does it? Sells a lot of Minivans but not really about volume is it. Maserati and Alfa are Premium brands so that not the Metric.

Are we convinced "Even though it doesn't fit" that as Dodge it would Sell less, T&C did sell for more than the Caravan. But has Dodge image changed enough to fix that? Could it be sold as a RAM?

Honest to god it should have never been the Van brand in the first place.... Maybe only the most Premium models (which are damn nice) Could it just be a premium Chyrsler.

I am not advocating at all for Chrysler being ended I am just trying work through how it can be kept. The premium EV or HEV has to be it new Niche.

Thanks for the ride Walter P. I have enjoyed your cars for many years. You will be missed.

This all ended May 1998 anyway. The last five years have been especially agonizing as we waited holding our breath for new fresh product on anything not wearing a Jeep label. In hindsight, that was the euro leaders keeping suckers like me on the hook through one more buying cycle . Meanwhile Jeep has become , what? A muddled mess trying to be all things in all market segments - totally killing the identity in the process. A common chorus of today which I will add to - I have bought nothing but Mopars since 1988. Don’t know what I buy next, but it won’t be anything from these euro mismanagers.

I'm predicting the Chrysler brand will be sold to Leap. The Chinese vehicles that perform the best in the western markets are the one with heritage western names, such as MG, Volvo, and now Mini. That's in Europe. Here in the USA, the Chinese have more influence with Buick than GM in Detroit does.

View attachment 9788

Stellantis, the world's fourth-largest automaker, says it is taking decisive action to tackle weak margins and high inventory levels in its U.S. operations. CEO Carlos Tavares announced that the company is prepared to eliminate underperforming brands from its extensive portfolio if they fail to generate profits. This marks a significant shift in strategy for Tavares, who previously maintained that all 14 brands under Stellantis, including Chrysler, Maserati, DS Automobiles, and Lancia, had a future.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm???? how bout getting rid of Fiat in the USA first! what? maybe they sale 100 cars a month if that! stop wasting money importing them! second send Alfa back to Europe only! they don't sell good here at all! damn Give Chrysler a Chance!!!! because it was FCA before Stellantis that tried to kill it (AKA-SERGIO!) his so called 5 year plan had 5 Chryslers that never got made! a 2018 300 update got cancelled by him when it was still selling almost 50k units! and outsold by itself alone! Fiat/Maserati and Alfa's entire lineups! all together! Stupid thinking! what you could of had when Ford killed all of it's sedans! and GM killed the Impala! and Buicks large sedan! and took Caddy to down to 2 sedans getting rid of the large CT6. Guess what? the 300 could of been King of the American sedan along with the Charger! as it's build mate! even in the smaller numbers sedans sell in these days their is still millions of people that buy them! look at all the other foreign companies that don't give up on them! yes they the foreign Co's have cut some of their sedans but most of em give you choice still! Chrysler would have had a starting sedan luxury market to itself! but FCA then to Stellantis let this get away!!!!!!! look at what Hyundai has done! you ever look at a Palisade! SUV they gave you and elegant outside, and an interior that could take on any luxury vehicle out there! this is what Chrysler used to do! steal sales form caddy, and Lincoln, this way! for thousands less! I know many that chose a Palisade! over a Wagoneer, Caddy, or Lincoln SUV! Mistakes!!!!! made-only making the large, and extra large, Wagoneer!!!! they don't get it! that everyone does not like the Jeep Look! Walk into a showroom at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram what large SUV do you have to pick from?????? one design only! if they would of made a trio! a Dodge for the sporty looks wanting customer, a Chrysler for the starting luxury crowd WITH BOLD, AND ELEGANT DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 1 Wagoneer! not 2! A Grand Wagoneer with 3 to 4 trim levels! for the rugged luxury look wanting crowd like range rover folks! but what did the European leaders do! put all the eggs in one basket a Wagoneer! with the Jeep face Looks! did you see GM not give GMC, and Chevy, a large SUV???? or Ford not share with a large SUV with Lincoln, the old Leaders of Chrysler had balls! not including Robert Eaton who started all of this BS! but Damn! even Daimler let Chrysler have 6 vehicles in it's line up when they owned them! and as for Dodge do they think a person is going to kick out 60k for a EV Charger??? when just in 2023 A V6 charger could be had for under 40k!!!! then theirs the constant Killing of morale at the HQ in Auburn hills! it's going to be Sold! then they will say we are leasing it back to use! then slowly Everything will go to Europe with what? left maybe? a design studio in a new Building! look out Ralph Gilles your next! to get retired! like they did Timothy Kuniskis they announce he's going to lead Ram in June of 2023! then less than 1 year all of a sudden say he's retiring????? BS! Tim was too American for EM! he did not like the Dodge Hornet! not made here in north America, looks like a jelly bean! he also wanted to continue the challenger but was over ruled by the bean counters cutting cost of two different front ends and back end looks of a Charger / Challenger dual produced vehicles and the other cost with that, but guess what you left the challenger crowd out cold! their was a reason people bought a challenger or a charger Difference!!!!!!!! in looks! etc. now you get a 5k pound 2 door with the same looks as the coming 4 door! Ford is salivating at the challengers demise! now they have that market to themselves!!! as GM killed the Camaro. a Charger 2 door starting at 60k will not compete against a Mustang! I don't care if and when you put a turbo straight 6 in it! its to heavy! the Challenger crowd ain't happy with Killing of that car! when we were told for over 3 years a that dual lineup was coming! both a Charger, and Challenger, the bean Counters in Europe WON! Tim Kuniskis was bold like Lee Iacocca! and it cost him! think people? you don't put him in charge of Ram! in 2023 then Wham! he's Out???? Their's something stinking about that! he got paid out, and and shut up! Kuniskis also did not like the decision to kill the hemi 5.7 V8! in the coming new 2025 Ram 1500. At least give the option! ask your self do you see Ford, or GM ,or hell even Nissan killing their V8??????? this will lose sales! I don't care about the power of the 6! their is just a huge segment of people that want a V8 in their Truck yes their 1500! Kuniskis knew this! Stellantis Upper European Management including top boss Carlos Tavares does not get the American customer! we are passionate about brand heritage! and they have destroyed that starting with Daimler to FCA now dissmantletis AKA-Stellantis I think Jeep and ram is all Tavares wanted in the first place cause now all the 10 years of funding for each brand is Bye bye! Walter P is turning over in his grave!

Thanks for the ride Walter P. I have enjoyed your cars for many years. You will be missed.
You mean rebadged Franklin... I never forgive him for kill that brand and slapping his name on it.

Franklin was always an independent. The Chrysler brand started mainly from Maxwell and Chalmers. Chrysler Corporation's Syracuse connection was New Process.

You mean rebadged Franklin... I never forgive him for kill that brand and slapping his name on it.
Sorry to hear that. Didn’t realize you that old to remember that brand. I guess Maxwell fans must also be mad he turned them into Plymouth and Dodge Brothers fans must also be upset he gave the “Brothers” part the boot.

Sorry to hear that. Didn’t realize you that old to remember that brand. I guess Maxwell fans must also be mad he turned them into Plymouth and Dodge Brothers fans must also be upset he gave the “Brothers” part the boot.
I was just looking a Franklin it was in my head. Yeah Excuse me Maxwell of New Castle... Us with New Castle roots will never forgive the robber baron himself swooping in and stealing it away like a past era SM, same with Dodge brothers and that damn Spanish flu, pure opportunist. Nothing left of New Castle plant.

1722126861111.png

Tongue in Cheek of course ..... Big difference was Fiat when saving the company didn't just erase the previous history, which would have been their right.

Daimler killed the brand, not SM and not STLA, making it the New Plymouth to keep it away from Benz killed the brand. Time for us to realize this.

I was just looking a Franklin it was in my head. Yeah Excuse me Maxwell of New Castle... Us with New Castle roots will never forgive the robber baron himself swooping in and stealing it away like a past era SM, same with Dodge brothers and that damn Spanish flu, pure opportunist. Nothing left of New Castle plant.

View attachment 9792

Tongue in Cheek of course ..... Big difference was Fiat when saving the company didn't just erase the previous history, which would have been their right.

Daimler killed the brand, not SM and not STLA, making it the New Plymouth to keep it away from Benz killed the brand. Time for us to realize this.
My comments were also toung and cheek. I really like that Maxwell! One of my favorite vintage cars!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm???? how bout getting rid of Fiat in the USA first! what? maybe they sale 100 cars a month if that! stop wasting money importing them! second send Alfa back to Europe only! they don't sell good here at all! damn Give Chrysler a Chance!!!! because it was FCA before Stellantis that tried to kill it (AKA-SERGIO!) his so called 5 year plan had 5 Chryslers that never got made! a 2018 300 update got cancelled by him when it was still selling almost 50k units! and outsold by itself alone! Fiat/Maserati and Alfa's entire lineups! all together! Stupid thinking! what you could of had when Ford killed all of it's sedans! and GM killed the Impala! and Buicks large sedan! and took Caddy to down to 2 sedans getting rid of the large CT6. Guess what? the 300 could of been King of the American sedan along with the Charger! as it's build mate! even in the smaller numbers sedans sell in these days their is still millions of people that buy them! look at all the other foreign companies that don't give up on them! yes they the foreign Co's have cut some of their sedans but most of em give you choice still! Chrysler would have had a starting sedan luxury market to itself! but FCA then to Stellantis let this get away!!!!!!! look at what Hyundai has done! you ever look at a Palisade! SUV they gave you and elegant outside, and an interior that could take on any luxury vehicle out there! this is what Chrysler used to do! steal sales form caddy, and Lincoln, this way! for thousands less! I know many that chose a Palisade! over a Wagoneer, Caddy, or Lincoln SUV! Mistakes!!!!! made-only making the large, and extra large, Wagoneer!!!! they don't get it! that everyone does not like the Jeep Look! Walk into a showroom at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram what large SUV do you have to pick from?????? one design only! if they would of made a trio! a Dodge for the sporty looks wanting customer, a Chrysler for the starting luxury crowd WITH BOLD, AND ELEGANT DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 1 Wagoneer! not 2! A Grand Wagoneer with 3 to 4 trim levels! for the rugged luxury look wanting crowd like range rover folks! but what did the European leaders do! put all the eggs in one basket a Wagoneer! with the Jeep face Looks! did you see GM not give GMC, and Chevy, a large SUV???? or Ford not share with a large SUV with Lincoln, the old Leaders of Chrysler had balls! not including Robert Eaton who started all of this BS! but Damn! even Daimler let Chrysler have 6 vehicles in it's line up when they owned them! and as for Dodge do they think a person is going to kick out 60k for a EV Charger??? when just in 2023 A V6 charger could be had for under 40k!!!! then theirs the constant Killing of morale at the HQ in Auburn hills! it's going to be Sold! then they will say we are leasing it back to use! then slowly Everything will go to Europe with what? left maybe? a design studio in a new Building! look out Ralph Gilles your next! to get retired! like they did Timothy Kuniskis they announce he's going to lead Ram in June of 2023! then less than 1 year all of a sudden say he's retiring????? BS! Tim was too American for EM! he did not like the Dodge Hornet! not made here in north America, looks like a jelly bean! he also wanted to continue the challenger but was over ruled by the bean counters cutting cost of two different front ends and back end looks of a Charger / Challenger dual produced vehicles and the other cost with that, but guess what you left the challenger crowd out cold! their was a reason people bought a challenger or a charger Difference!!!!!!!! in looks! etc. now you get a 5k pound 2 door with the same looks as the coming 4 door! Ford is salivating at the challengers demise! now they have that market to themselves!!! as GM killed the Camaro. a Charger 2 door starting at 60k will not compete against a Mustang! I don't care if and when you put a turbo straight 6 in it! its to heavy! the Challenger crowd ain't happy with Killing of that car! when we were told for over 3 years a that dual lineup was coming! both a Charger, and Challenger, the bean Counters in Europe WON! Tim Kuniskis was bold like Lee Iacocca! and it cost him! think people? you don't put him in charge of Ram! in 2023 then Wham! he's Out???? Their's something stinking about that! he got paid out, and and shut up! Kuniskis also did not like the decision to kill the hemi 5.7 V8! in the coming new 2025 Ram 1500. At least give the option! ask your self do you see Ford, or GM ,or hell even Nissan killing their V8??????? this will lose sales! I don't care about the power of the 6! their is just a huge segment of people that want a V8 in their Truck yes their 1500! Kuniskis knew this! Stellantis Upper European Management including top boss Carlos Tavares does not get the American customer! we are passionate about brand heritage! and they have destroyed that starting with Daimler to FCA now dissmantletis AKA-Stellantis I think Jeep and ram is all Tavares wanted in the first place cause now all the 10 years of funding for each brand is Bye bye! Walter P is turning over in his grave!
200 million in EPA fines. V8 are not the big sellers at Ford and GM.

I don't think you have real grasp on 1. the Regulatory realities. 2. the proper timeline of the issue (CUZ V8 Ram and L bodies are still being sold) 3. How Mergers work......

Merger work on combined resources and eliminating redundancies. If you think the mass management departures isn't pure contractual and predictable you haven't been through it.

For those that haven't been through this at during due diligence key management from both sides are contractually encouraged $$$$ to remain through and for a given time after a merger. (otherwise, once companies start sniff good people just bolt). After management contraction happen quite organized and often it is fiscally damaging to stay. I been through where they want me to stay, you know what my reward was ZIP. Everyone around else got PAID. Trust me is not some big conspiracy that everyone left at the same time and NEW TEAM replaced them. This was all planned 5 to 6 years out.

Last edited:

View attachment 9788

I sold new Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram vehicles from 1993-2019 in the Midwest. In my opinion the best days for Mopar was after Iacocca turned things around. Even when Mercedes took charge things were going well. Stellanis is driving a once great American company into the ground! Thinking EV’s is going to save the company is idiotic! America will never embrace EV’s.

I sold new Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram vehicles from 1993-2019 in the Midwest. In my opinion the best days for Mopar was after Iacocca turned things around. Even when Mercedes took charge things were going well. Stellanis is driving a once great American company into the ground! Thinking EV’s is going to save the company is idiotic! America will never embrace EV’s.
Daimler killed the Company.... Literally it was dead, days away from being sold in pieces. Stole is development money its a failed attempt to buy Mitsubishi, Killed Plymouth, Devalued Chrysler, and was forced to use bad Mitsubishi platforms and powertrains, gutted the interiors even on pre-developed products.

I guess "Going well" is subjective but nowhere on this earth is bankrupt, gutted, left for dead "GOING WELL"

As for EVs WTH do you get the idea OEMs are for the EV thing? That is a regulatory reality they are facing after fighting it including StLA, Hell even Musk think the Mandates are bad idea.

If you're in a CARB state your government is the issue not any of the OEMs

As for Lee, the Greatest Showman. Making 20 of the same Cars with different Coachwork is basically PSA game plan so you should love them. Gale and Lutz are who made the Company thrive, and their reward was Bob F%^$% Eaton. ThanKs Savior LEE

Back