Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis CEO’s Firm Stand: No More Buying Credits, Goodbye HEMI V8s

In a bold move reflecting a significant shift in strategy, Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares has declared an end to the era of purchasing emissions credits, a decision with far-reaching implications for the company’s iconic HEMI V8 engines. For years, Stellantis, formerly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), relied on buying emissions credits from Tesla to meet regulatory standards and avoid hefty fines. However, Tavares has drawn a line in the sand, stating that Stellantis will no longer “buy a single credit.” This signals a new direction for the company, one where it aims to self-regulate and accelerate its electric vehicle (EV) transition. … (read full article...)

tempImageivVbs0.png

patfromigh

Reaction score
While they were at it, come up with a new efficient V8.
I had a '14 Ram with this engine and hated it. It was fine for the most part when driven locally. Get it on an interstate, especially in the mountains of VA and WVA, and it absolutely sucked. Constant shifting and running at 4 to 5000 rpms. It got worse gas mileage than my '16 Ram with the Hemi.
A new efficient V8 or a new smaller Hemi people are imagining are neither cheap nor efficient. What makes people think that a four liter V8 is going to put out much more significant power than the latest 3.6 liter Pentastar V6. The Ford 5 liter V8 has a hundred more hp, but gets the same fuel economy as a the Ram 1500 Hemi. Remember, Ford's solution to this problem is by offering the F-150 Lightning pickup. The sales of the Lightning will offset the sales of the V8 models for CAFE. How is Ford's plan working out? GM also has the plan. BTW, Virginia is one of the states which signed on to the CARB regulations. People who live there can choose between the Lightning of the Ram REV in the near future. The GM battery-electric trucks are having some production issues.

Hemi_Dart

Reaction score
In a bold move reflecting a significant shift in strategy, Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares has declared an end to the era of purchasing emissions credits, a decision with far-reaching implications for the company’s iconic HEMI V8 engines. For years, Stellantis, formerly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), relied on buying emissions credits from Tesla to meet regulatory standards and avoid hefty fines. However, Tavares has drawn a line in the sand, stating that Stellantis will no longer “buy a single credit.” This signals a new direction for the company, one where it aims to self-regulate and accelerate its electric vehicle (EV) transition. … (read full article...)

View attachment 9305
It's not a bold move, rather your only move to drop the Hemi when you're incompetent. The valve angles should have been straightened up from 16° intake to 10-12°, then rotated 15° to fit an injector into a chamber closer to a wedge than Hemi. The a single plug down from the tip. It would be much more efficient especially with a smaller V8 getting away with 12.5:1 comp.

All of the top race builders use much better geometry than Dodge/Chrysler. Nothing new for Normally Aspirated engines since the Daimler Benz development team left 25 years ago and management blames the EPA? A bunch of loosers.

Hemi_Dart

Reaction score
A new efficient V8 or a new smaller Hemi people are imagining are neither cheap nor efficient. What makes people think that a four liter V8 is going to put out much more significant power than the latest 3.6 liter Pentastar V6. The Ford 5 liter V8 has a hundred more hp, but gets the same fuel economy as a the Ram 1500 Hemi. Remember, Ford's solution to this problem is by offering the F-150 Lightning pickup. The sales of the Lightning will offset the sales of the V8 models for CAFE. How is Ford's plan working out? GM also has the plan. BTW, Virginia is one of the states which signed on to the CARB regulations. People who live there can choose between the Lightning of the Ram REV in the near future. The GM battery-electric trucks are having some production issues.
Why don't you go home where it's safe and leave the discussion to the adults with some knowledge. You're comparing a 2009 5.7 OHV Hemi with a 2009 5.0 DOHC. They're both out of date and a OHV motor will get better fuel economy than the DOHC engine because N.A. engines like a wedge shape chamber and canted valves which only a pushrod engine can do.

A 4.4L could make 360hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque as the base engine thanks also to DI and 12.5:1 comp. Also 130 lbs lighter than the 5.7, 3" shorter Fr to Rr and 0.800" shorter deck height. Use the 8HP50 which is 20 lbs lighter than the 8HP75. They can add the PHEV option for the trucks which uses the 8HP75.

There are some many more options but CDJR has wasted their time & resources on Hellcats and Gay Parties. Quit defending them or you're part of the mindless pervert Libs ruining our country

Mopar392

Reaction score
Why don't you go home where it's safe and leave the discussion to the adults with some knowledge. You're comparing a 2009 5.7 OHV Hemi with a 2009 5.0 DOHC. They're both out of date and a OHV motor will get better fuel economy than the DOHC engine because N.A. engines like a wedge shape chamber and canted valves which only a pushrod engine can do.

A 4.4L could make 360hp and 350 ft-lbs of torque as the base engine thanks also to DI and 12.5:1 comp. Also 130 lbs lighter than the 5.7, 3" shorter Fr to Rr and 0.800" shorter deck height. Use the 8HP50 which is 20 lbs lighter than the 8HP75. They can add the PHEV option for the trucks which uses the 8HP75.

There are some many more options but CDJR has wasted their time & resources on Hellcats and Gay Parties. Quit defending them or you're part of the mindless pervert Libs ruining our country

Please explain how a dual valve per cylinder is more efficient than 4-valves??

So you want to replace a 5.7HEMI with 375-395hp with a hypothetical and less powerful engine??

TripleT

Reaction score
FCA should have branded all of the ALFAs under the Chrysler name and not had separate delearships. Money should have been put into two new Hemis one being a baby Hemi to use the smaller 8 speed. No vision and no drive in upper management.
y'all, that engine already exists, and it makes less than the Hurricane. That engine is very dense on HP, Put Hemi on it if it makes people feel better.

patfromigh

Reaction score
I pulled the numbers from the Ford website for the 2024 F-150. The fuel economy numbers are from the EPA's fueleconomy(dot)gov website for the 2024 model year. Among the many things you are ignorant of, you also don't know my background in the automobile industry. While I was never a key player, the projects I participated in while working for suppliers enabled me to see how much hard work goes into R&D. Part of my responsibilities was to keep abreast of what new developments were happening. I still maintain that discipline despite being semi-retired. I now shuffle rental cars which gives me first hand knowledge on all the crap being built nowadays, but that's another thread.

Why is a 12.5:1 compression ratio so special? The 3.6 PUG is just short of that, while the Atkinson cycle version runs that same number. A four cylinder Toyota runs 14:1 nowadays. Only pushrod engines can have canted valves is false. The Firefly engines Fiat uses in Latin American products are OHC, they use a polyspherical combustion chamber, with canted valves. Remember the Mitsubishi 2.6 OHC hemi that was found under the hood of many legacy Chrysler products? Guess what. One more thing, smaller engines have smaller valves due to smaller bores. If one just reduces the stroke they run into emissions issues. Two strikes against a small V8.

FCA was involved in a joint program with the US Department of Energy throughout the Twenty-teens decade. While FCA pulled the plug on the retail production version of the Ram 1500 Hemi-hybrid, they did build a sizable number of Ram 1500 PHEV pickups. The project did yield a lot of understanding into designing charging networks. FCA was evaluating a number of engine designs during this period. One of the issues FCA engineers had to contend with was "down-speeding" an ICE for fuel economy gains. One just can't simply lower the operating speed by a few hundred rpm. At lower engine speeds there are harmonics problems which have to be solved. Hybridization of an IC engine may require down-speeding. One way to solve the harmonics problems is to go to an inline engine design and start from there. It was FCA management's decision to go with the ZF 8-speed for both regular and hybrid rear drive based power trains. The GM built hybrid transmission was both expensive and unreliable.

I might also add that even if a conservative regime wins the election in the fall, we will have to deal with the issue of energy security and critical resources. The strategic petroleum reserves have been looted for political gain and are empty. They have to be built up once again. There are many gaps that have to be closed in the pipelines as well. All of which means conservation of resources. To me building 3-ton lumps runs counter to this, but so does pumping out an endless stream of ICE powered city cars. There must be a balance.

"There are some many more options but CDJR has wasted their time & resources on Hellcats and Gay Parties. Quit defending them or you're part of the mindless pervert Libs ruining our country"

While you're totally ignorant of what my background is, the decision making process involved in automobile manufacturing, and particularly the FCA engineering projects since it was formed, you are most lacking in the concept of grace. You are no different than Dark Brandon making his anti-maga speeches. You obviously don't have a clue about the Seven Deadly Sins or what the Seven Virtues which counter them are.

vbondjr1

Reaction score
People have said about Ford and GM investing money into new V8s but I want to point out something about Ford right now, which is why they can invest in the two or three V8s that they have. Now, I'm not a Ford fan, but I will give Ford credit where credit is due and that is their Ecoboost family of engines. Starting off with the 2.3L Ecoboost, it made some 350hp and 350lb-ft of torque. On average the 5.7L Hemi made about 370-375hp and 390lb-ft of torque in a Charger and around the same in a Challenger. So about 20-25hp shy and about 40lb-ft shy of an engine with over twice the displacement. The 3-liter Ecoboost V6 twin turbo makes over 400hp and about 415-420lb-ft of torque, putting it on par with the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang GT's first-gen 5.0L Coyote V8. The hybrid version of that put down somewhere in the neighborhood of 490hp and 630lb-ft of torque, (Scat pack equivalent hp and Hellcat rivaling torque) but it was only offered in the Lincoln Aviator. This brings me to the 3.5L Ecoboost. In Raptor trim, this powertrain makes 450hp and about 500lb-ft of torque. That rivaled the 5.0L V8 (up until now) in hp and embarrassed it in Torque, but yet again, in a big heavy vehicle. Ford also put this engine in a production, street legal, GT supercar making over 600hp. As it stands if Ford has to drop their 5.0L V8 in the near future, they have proven high-horsepower engines to fill in the gap and the rebirth of the Ford Falcon in 2 and 4 door form with both ICE and EV powertrains would serve pretty nicely as a direct rival to the new Charger when this takes off. Not to mention that Ford Performance already offers performance upgrades for the Ecoboost platform so right there shows that there is a market for American Twin turbo performance segment. As far as GM is concerned, GM dabbled with twin turbo V6 powered cars such as the 455hp CT4V blackwing on the Alpha platform. A few slight tweaks and tunes and the car could very easily serve as a next-gen Monte Carlo SS/Impala SS making anywhere from 480-500hp. Right now it's up to Direct Connection, GM Performance Parts and Ford Performance to step it up and offer performance parts and packages and make these vehicles more customizable and desirable. Once that happens things should be fun again!

Bob A

Reaction score

View attachment 9305
Good bye Hemi? Good bye Stellantis.

AlexB

Reaction score

You are the most Low IQ post ever in this site. You have the nerve to type the word " mindless" too.

TripleT

Reaction score
Bob likes paying people to drive Telsa Vehicles, :D Hemi is a marketing name, rename the better Engine Hemi. :p :p ..... Tell me this isn't the same person posting the same thing with different usernames.

Mopar392

Reaction score
Well, GEN-3 HEMI is actually a Semi-HEMI.
So if they can make the Hurricane’s head dome-shaped instead of being pent-shaped, then they can revive the Aussies’ HEMI.
Also, HEMI is a crossover valves and air flow design.

Last edited:

Mopar392

Reaction score
Whoever sticking to a name or an engine configuration has no clue about actual performance besides what the magazines and internet tell him/her

patfromigh

Reaction score
Bob likes paying people to drive Telsa Vehicles, :D Hemi is a marketing name, rename the better Engine Hemi. :p :p ..... Tell me this isn't the same person posting the same thing with different usernames.
I think it's the deep state's AI psy-op program generating those particular posts. 🤡

TripleT

Reaction score
Whoever sticking to a name or an engine configuration has no clue about actual performance besides what the magazines and internet tell him/her
Reality is 95% of purchasing public won't even move the plastic Sound shroud or count the spark plugs. You could tell them its a Hemi V8 with new silent exhaust and there only complaint would be it smoother and more quiet.

They should do a commercial with the new Charger 6-Pack with John Reep pulling up in Charger R/T "That there have a Hemi?" .... "Nope" then roasting his doors off.

scatpack_69

Reaction score
You are the most Low IQ post ever in this site. You have the nerve to type the word " mindless" too.
Something about low IQ and a person that can’t type complete sentences claiming that of another is comedy gold. Hypocrisy runs high with you

AlexB

Reaction score
Stellantis don't NEED YOU TO THRIVE.
Stellantis don't need low IQ & Subprime crybabies clinging to the past like you to THRIVE.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yes that was the recipe for constant flirtatious with Bankruptcy. The Koreans have taken that space but are growing out of it. Chinese will be next. Then Southern Asia, and eventually Africa if they could sort the port issues with that continent

scatpack_69

Reaction score
Stellantis don't NEED YOU TO THRIVE.
Stellantis don't need low IQ & Subprime crybabies clinging to the past like you to THRIVE.
You’re the dumbest piece of **** I’ve ever seen online. And yep THEY NEED ME. And EVERYONE LIKE ME ready to spend money with them. You’re too busy regurgitating worthless statements (THEY DONT NEED YOU) to figure this out. Pound sound you incompetent fuk

AlexB

Reaction score
Stellantis don't need cheap & classes stakes like you clinging to the past to THRIVE.
Take your money-else... oh wait you got "no mone"....you got no money to take Anywhere:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you need a subprime vehicle loan while I'm get my Stellantis dividend coming next month.

Users who are viewing this thread