Mopar Insiders Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV

Renegade Name Will Return as Jeep®’s $25,000 Electric SUV​

A Bold Move to Capture the Affordable Electric Vehicle (EV) Market...​

1718287445933.png

In a significant announcement during Stellantis’ Investor Day 2024 at the Chrysler Technical Center in Auburn Hills, Michigan, Jeep® CEO Antonio Filosa unveiled plans for the return of the Renegade nameplate to the North American market. This time, the Renegade will make its comeback as an all-electric vehicle (BEV) with a starting price just under $25,000. This announcement comes on the heels of Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares’ earlier statement at a Bernstein investor conference, where he mentioned that a $25,000 Jeep BEV would be arriving in the U.S. “very soon.”

TripleT

Reaction score
Why do people lobby for another Journey? It is in my Top 5 worst Dodge Cars ever made. Aspen, Journey, Avenger, Shadow, Monoco ..... Not counting imports jeez I have to go 6 Caliber can't be left off the list......

You can still buy its better sister at the Mitsubishi dealer.

james.mooney.

Reaction score
I do think a Dodge midsizer on STLA Large would be cool, if they have the budget and production capacity and if it would not cannibalize the sales of the Chrysler CUV and Cherokee too badly. The Chrysler could be a 7-seat family vehicle and the Dodge could be the sportier 5-seat version. They could call it Magnum to distance it from the previous Journey and to distinguish it from the Mexican market rebadged Mitsubishi.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah Sporty SUV on STLA large Stealth or Magnum would be my vote over "Journey" replacement. Journey was supposed to position itself as a replacement for the short minivan which doesn't fit Dodge mission anymore. Same powertrain as the Charger. Maybe a Farrari or CX-9 style direction to make sure it doesn't step on the 3 row Durango.

patfromigh

Reaction score
Why do people lobby for another Journey?
Maybe because Dodge needs a competent family hauler that is smaller and more affordable than what is currently being offered.

The Brazilian Jeep Commander has been successful in the markets where it shows up. How much will the next Compass share with those past Dodge models? The Brampton Compass will be built on the STLA medium platform and will not share any engineering with those past products. The World engine and the Tigershark are gone along with the old Ultra-Drive based transmissions. The STLA medium platform will use either battery electric or the 1.6 liter Dundee built Pure Tech engine with some sort of hybrid system. Rumor has it that four cylinder will be updated and use a cam chain.

Battery electric vehicles fail as a primary vehicle except in limited situations. A successful primary vehicle for a one vehicle household should be economical, easily maneuverable in an urban environment, and be versatile. A hybrid vehicle with the size and proportion of the Brazilian Jeep Commander is a close fit. Now that entry level is just under $30K and affordable is $30K to $40K, there won't be any STLA large platform vehicles near those price ranges. The PHEV system used in SUSW is pricey and might not come in at the affordable price range. A mild hybrid would.

I am also lobbying for another Dodge Caliber. Stellantis has been busy creating small EVs for all their brands except Dodge and Chrysler. All these vehicles are based on the CMP, Smart or C-Cubed platforms. The CMP isn't US compliant and the C-Cubed platform is for India. We are probably getting a Jeep product based on the Smart platform. How about an affordable Dodge to compete against the Chevy Trax, which has a motor cycle sized engine without an electric motor to support it and is front drive only. Only the EV version would compete against the Jeep model, but a front drive hybrid option would compliment the Jeep which should be exclusively AWD in our market.

TripleT

Reaction score
Yeah I not in favor of any no margin fleet queens in the Dodge Brand at all. Certainly not 2 of 6 worst Dodges ever made.

This goes back to the Failed Fiat relaunch, all good CDJR should be Fs as a replacement for Plymouth, then Argen/Tipo Cross could be sold as is.

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Durango and Grand Cherokee 4Xe are fleet queens. In the case of the the Grand Cherokee, the government is forcing that on the fleets because it is a PHEV. Ford has a hybrid Explorer catalogued, but doesn't have the batteries to build that many. Chevy forgot how to build hybrids. The Toyota Grand Highlander has a stop order on it until they solve an airbag issue, so the only thing available is the Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

TripleT

Reaction score
No Margin sub-prime Fleet queens....

Journey and Caliber are embarrassing to have Dodge name on them. Operating in the same space as the Koreans is a bad idea.

It good that you advocate product ideas. But I wouldn't use those names in any associated advocacy.

Then one has to examine the ROI gate process and see if it could clear the hurdles, then as Dodge.

I would be more in favor of some entry level performance then people moving.

Leave that to Chrysler and most likely they will sadly choose Jeep. (SUV/CUV) brand.

I would prefer a Hornet replacement with 2.0L and E-axle off the Mid. A stripper Charger with HO six and similar STLA large SUV.

3 row People mover should be a Fiat or Chrysler. Your competing against Korean cars shipped in boxes, Could the build the Argen shipped in boxes to Canada?

Last edited:

patfromigh

Reaction score
The Renegade EV is the result of government regulation and market forces. Having a similar Dodge would not hurt the brand image, which isn't that good right now anyway. Nobody is going to buy an EV except for the fan boys, fleets and freeloaders. Everyone else will simply lease one. People want affordable hybrids, which both a Journey sized and Caliber sized hatch would provide.

UN4GTBL

Reaction score
Why do people lobby for another Journey? It is in my Top 5 worst Dodge Cars ever made. Aspen, Journey, Avenger, Shadow, Monoco ..... Not counting imports jeez I have to go 6 Caliber can't be left off the list......

You can still buy its better sister at the Mitsubishi dealer.

Maybe people hope for a better replacement for the vehicle that once was, especially in a high volume market that currently has no vehicle in NA from Stellantis?

IMO, the post-refresh version at the end was good enough for normal people. It sold super well (at least in Canada), which many people equate to success, right or wrong. I know people who have bought multiple Journeys because they "love" them for various reasons.

I wouldn't say the Journey is the vehicle for me either, but I also drove a pre-refresh Caliber for 11 years, so not sure my opinion holds much weight lol. I will say that my 11 year old Caliber didn't have any squeaks in the rubbermaid interior. I'm already battling squeaks in our 5 year old Prius sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread